Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

My grill marks are professional looking but it definitely didn't crust the way I would have wanted or normally appreciate. I always cast iron at hot as fuck, but with corn and asparagus I couldn't beat the grill. Plus less cleanup.

For typical steaks sous vide and seared I go back and fourth with butter, most of the time I can't tell a difference but I didn't want to test that with something lean.

Also, while I do love medium rare everything, I did these at 135 for two hours and they were pushing it into rare territory. Actually did strip at 140 last week and they were quite red as well.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    You know your business. Glad they came out so well. I wish I had a grill so I could give some advice for the sear. I still swear by my cast iron at about 650 degrees. I would actually consider firing a cast iron right on the grill and going for quick grill marks and then finishing the sear in the pan, add some aromatics and butter to baste.
    I tried this; couldn't get the cast iron anywhere near as hot on the grill as I can on my stove. I like to brown in a bit of butter, which makes a bit of smoke (but tastes sooooo good). I was hoping to be able to make that smoke outside instead of risking the wrath of the smoke detectors.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Coren View Post
    I tried this; couldn't get the cast iron anywhere near as hot on the grill as I can on my stove. I like to brown in a bit of butter, which makes a bit of smoke (but tastes sooooo good). I was hoping to be able to make that smoke outside instead of risking the wrath of the smoke detectors.
    Ahhhh, good to know. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos of these guys using a cast iron on a charcoal grill and thought it would work.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Shoulda used wifes phone, the red is so far off in that picture its not even close.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Thank you for not having a shitty steel rack on your grill.

Grilled asparagus is one of my favorite sides with steak. Was going to get some today to go with ribeye, but they were way too thin. Would have lost them through the grate.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So confirming booze vide is amazing but having hard time finding much in the ways of recipes online. Anyone else have more luck or is it mostly a more experiment sort of thing?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    So confirming booze vide is amazing but having hard time finding much in the ways of recipes online. Anyone else have more luck or is it mostly a more experiment sort of thing?
    Pretty much everything works. I just used the basic recipe and then added whatever I wanted.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

What I mean is like what to use for recipes? Right now I'm just looking up regular infusions and replacing the let them sit forever with a 2 hour bath at 135F. Maybe some strawberry bourbon which was interesting and now I got a bunch of really strong strawberries too

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Berries, herbs, spices, fruit, veggies.

I've used a lot of stuff at this point. I'm gonna try to do some sake with berries this weekend.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ah experiment it is. Make sure to update how it goes. Anyways have you tried running it thru multiple times? Like when I was doing the bourbon this weekend first run thru bourbon just overpowered everything but a second was great. Tried just adjusting the ratios to do it in one and didn't seem to work as well

Also for me it's seemed harder to get air out so I'm left with a pocket of air and well using bags is annoying for liquids anyway. What you think about using something like mason jars?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

You can definitely use them, most of the recipes call for them. I'm just lazy and I can't be arsed to bother with it. The air pocket actually doesn't matter in this case as the liquid will circulate.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

made the crack slaw:
    1/2 head of cabbage
    1 10 oz package shredded carrots
    1.25 lb ground beef
    3 green onions
    2 cloves of garlic
    ~1 1/2 tsp of diced ginger root
    soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt, pepper, oregano, curry powder, paprika, cayenne, sugar

browned the ground beef then sauteed the garlic/ginger in the sesame oil for a minute, then added the cabbage/carrots/green onion. then dump in all the seasonings lol. it's ok... cabbage isn't cooked quite through, nor the carrots. I also need to get the balance of seasonings right :/ it's a work in progress. not bad though. next time I think I will add potatoes and definitely alter the seasoning; something in there ain't quite right but I can't put my finger on it

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I'd get rid of the curry and be careful with the sesame oil, personally. Paprika, cayenne, and oregano together remind me of Spanish dishes. Adding curry powder to the mix is strange to me, but I'm not a big fan of curry. Sesame oil is also a really strong flavor. If you're using it like you would olive oil to cook down the garlic and ginger you're likely adding too much.

I don't know how much of each of those last ingredients you're using, though.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah, I measure the oil with drops most of the time. It's a VERY potent flavor.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I might have like... doused the entire meal in sesame oil >_>

thanks for the tips. it's still pretty decent; I think if I fix it up a bit next time it could be great

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Sesame oil is really potent as stated above. I really like adding cayenne pepper and extra sriacha to taste as well as a bit of cumin. I use rice vinegar and olive oil myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Yeah don't use that much sesame oil.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Sushiritto opened on 23rd st.

Fucking amazing.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

really that good? we have similar places around here and people tell me they're good, but the idea of a sushi burrito just sounds so abhorrent to me

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Why? It's literally just a big maki roll...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag