+ Reply to Thread
Page 141 of 149 FirstFirst ... 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

I can recommend all of these recipes.

I made mac and cheese with leek and broccoli last night in the Instant Pot. I found out, though, that if you use a pasta other than elbows you'll need to adjust cook time or set it to saute for a bit after releasing to cook down some of the liquid. I used medium shells last night and there was more liquid than usual after the standard 5 min cook time.

Leek and broccoli were prepared separately on the stove, but you could also do it in the instant pot first. Set it to saute, add a little butter, throw leeks in first, then broccoli. Let them cook down just a bit some they release some of their moisture, then continue with the mac and cheese recipe. Only thing is you may get more broccoli and leek flavor throughout.

And since I'm here...

Seared Ahi Tuna steak with roasted broccoli and baby red potatoes.

Broccoli was tossed with a little soy sauce, oil, and pepper. No extra salt. Soy ties the flavor of the tuna in and helps the broccoli brown nicely in the oven.

Baby potatoes were tossed with oil, salt, pepper, fresh thyme, and just a sprinkle of Old Bay.

Tuna was a 1.5/2 min sear each side on a hot cast iron pan, leaving the middle rare/raw. It was sushi grade my wife picked up from one of the better markets nearby. Was marinated for 15 mins with soy sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, and ginger. Don't want to leave it in too long or the lime juice will start to "cook" it.

Spicy tofu stir fry.

Tofu was marinated for 24 hours in what would eventually be the sauce. Chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, garlic, lime juice, maple syrup, ... maybe one or two other things. I'm blanking. EDIT: I'll try to remember to get the recipe when I get home. It's from a cookbook so can't send a link.

Veggies were carrot, peppers, onion, broccoli.

Sear tofu on at least two sides, about 4 minutes per side, on med-high heat. After the second side, throw them on a baking sheet in the oven for 20 minutes on 375. This will help them brown the rest of the way as well as firm up more.

In the mean time prep and cut the veggies to your liking. When the veggies are ready, set the pan back on the heat med-high. Add corn starch to the sauce, I believe it comes out to be around 2 tsp. Set veggies in the pan and heat for 2 minutes just to get them going. Pour the sauce into the pan with the veggies. Cook for another 5 minutes or so. Pull the tofu out of the oven and add the tofu back to the pan with the veggies and sauce. Cook another 4-5 minutes.

Serve on rice, noodle, or on it's own. Whatever you want. Can top with green onion, lime juice, fresh herbs, more chili garlic sauce if you want more heat. I've done a fried rice with egg as a base before and that was super delicious.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Dinner. Yes that's on my daughter's Shimmer and Shine food tray.

Vietnamese lemongrass pork chop. Peanuts, scallions, cucumbers, pickled carrots, lime.

Sweet potato Malaysian curry with kaffir lime leaf.

Rice with an over easy egg, toasted sesame seeds, and sambal.

Dipping sauce is noc cham.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Breakfast this am.

Edit: Top left to right: fresh and dried fruit, smoked tuna with toasted sesame, mixed Japanese pickles and Wakame, shredded diakon and scallions (garnish for the next dish) agadashi tofu. And last tomogoyaki with Nori and wasabi. Jasmine tea.

It's a traditional Japanese breakfast.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay. Thought I'd ask BG.

I can't be specific, sorries (I don't have permission to reveal this guy's beeswax) but my middle brother is about to end up worshiping the toilet a lot for at least a month. (If you don't get what I'm saying there; I mean tossing his cookies, ugh.) Since I cook for the fam, I need to find some good rice main dishes that aren't my go to rice casserole and strogonoff, which are the only two I know of right off the top of my head, since I understand that's good for touchy tummies.

Any ideas, BG? I'd rather get prepared now before I hear you-know-what from the bathroom.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post

I can't be specific, sorries (I don't have permission to reveal this guy's beeswax) but my middle brother is about to end up worshiping the toilet a lot for at least a month. (If you don't get what I'm saying there; I mean tossing his cookies, ugh.) Since I cook for the fam, I need to find some good rice main dishes that aren't my go to rice casserole and strogonoff, which are the only two I know of right off the top of my head, since I understand that's good for touchy tummies.

Any ideas, BG? I'd rather get prepared now before I hear you-know-what from the bathroom.
    Chemo or radiation? Those can have some pretty specific diet requests based on the type of cancer and the doctor's recommendations.

Whatever it is, if its medical related I would stick pretty close to doctors recommendations. If not and the guy is just randomly sick for a month, plain white rice or lightly buttered egg noodles with a touch of salt can do wonders. Ginger tea. Clear cold or room temp beverages - teas, fruit waters, etc.

Keep proteins simple too. No heavy gravies. Plain grilled chicken breast, lower fat hamburger. Nothing really spicy, but light salt and pepper.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Anyone here good with bread and bread machines? I tried making a small loaf today and it seems like the top wasn't cooked enough:

Spoiler: show

Curious if I may have missed anything. Ingredients were:

2/3 cup (lukewarm water
    1/4 cup lukewarm milk
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 1/2 cups bleached flour
    5 teaspoons sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon bread machine yeast

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Kirin: Yes chemo. Again, don't ask on specifics, I'd get skinned and I'd rather my hide stay ON me.

Unfortunately the guy is not very forthcoming about his beeswax/what the doc said (I've been getting a lot of my info secondhand, from my littlest brother), so i'm trying to prepare generally and from what happened with my momma with her bouts with cancer (At one point she could only keep pudding, Jell-O and yogurt down, not to mention ginger ale and saltines. I should know, I had to clean up the puke when she missed the toilet) so thought I'd look for more ideas on stuff that MAYBE he could keep down, since I'm one of the people that does the cooking around here!

One guy from a Discord group I'm on pointed me at a Korean chicken and rice pudding that might suit, but yar, I'd like some more ideas.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

If doctor information isn't forthcoming from the guy, id would keep it as simple as possible with just enough salt/pepper where it isn't dead bland.

I would also keep things as original as possible. So if you have a chicken + rice pudding recipe, I would opt for chicken with a side of rice. From what I remember about both my mother and mother-in-laws treatments, heavy spices are a no-no.

Anything clear sans alcohol is a safe bet. Clear soups (miso, chicken broth, light beef broth), ginger and herbal teas, saltines or oyster crackers. An ice pack on the head or a cold washcloth oddly enough can be a night/day difference between craving a good meal and being nauseous about everything.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post

Not 100% sure I'd call it a main dish but a solid side I like to do is stir fry some rice in butter, garlic, spinach and parmesan. Can just do some rice or veggies in light broth too maybe add a little chicken or all of the above for some kind of chicken and rice soup.

As far as puking your bro might want to ask about alternatives that don't do that. Sis was on a daily oral one with almost no nausea... but some doctors wont recommend because it's newer and they might not know and/or you have to fight insurance companies on it

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Don't know if he will, das. Doc has said several times he needs to lose weight/eat more veggies, and guess what he's been getting? Fast food/junk/processed crap. I don't think he's gonna learn until he's actually worshiping the toilet. And he prolly won't even ask and pay for it.

As for that pudding: Here it is. They actually use that in Korea for erm, stomach issues/sick I understand so it's prolly fine for someone with that kinda trouble.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

OH I meant chemo. Not everyone qualifies and such but there is this newer oral version with very low amount of side effects

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Fair enough but from what I heard today..He doesn't qualify. He's having to take really mean chemo (and I mean the port and everything; he's using the best cancer center in the area), so we're getting some saltines tomorrow when we go grocery shopping. (I've known for a while, just didn't go hunting too hard until I knew how bad.) We're also getting some candied ginger in hopes that will help the nausea, which I think is going to be unavoidable. But that's what I meant by "he won't ask"; I don't think he'd ask for the newer treatment and he didn't, so he has to pay the price.

I STILL think with this, his habits of eating a lot of junk is going to bite him in the south end pretty bad; I understand greasy/fatty foods can make you hurl worse with this. (Betcha a cookie he'll try eating that and it'll just come right back up.) Since he DIDN'T listen to the doc about losing weight, things could get ugly for a little while, for I bet he'll have to learn the hard way about diet. So I'm just prepping to say, make him that pudding and a lot of rice and stuff for him.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Alton Brown suggests using scissors to debone chicken thighs. Today I learned the value of good kitchen shears after using the shears from a Cuisinart knife set.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Alton Brown suggests using scissors to debone chicken thighs. Today I learned the value of good kitchen shears after using the shears from a Cuisinart knife set.
    Or a RaffleCopter prize

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/13...=1#post7021467

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay guys. Update on the cancer in the house issue..So far, I haven't seen much puking yet but I'd rather prevent it as far as I can (which isn't much). I don't doubt my brother will get to the point my mom was at tho, where all she could eat was crackers, pudding, Jell-O, broth, white rice and yogurt without it coming back up on her. (I understand it gets worse with each chemo treatment.)

According to stuff I found on the interwebs, greasy food can cause a chemo patient to hurl pretty bad. Since that is something that I can control..Do people have some good lower fat recipes that I could try so I don't have to make my brother special meals? I'm sure that I will have to before the 6 months is up, but while I can..Anyway we usualy have hamburger (When we go to sam's for it I'm going to make sure we get the lower fat content stuff!), chicken breast, and chicken around.

[Edit] I at first thought this was going to be a month but I found out he's getting a 6 month course of chemo. That's what happens when you're the last in the loop, sadly. And I do most of the cooking around here, so I should of heard that sooner!

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

I came across this amazing recipe from skinnytaste for air fryer chimichangas and let me tell you, they came out so good.
    I used kirkland brand canned chicken , amd trader joe hatch salsa. In addition I used Mexican blend cheese from sargento , and carb balance spinach wraps.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-chimichangas/

Modified it slightly for lower carb too.
    Approximately 6 net carbs per chimichanga.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Those Chimibangers looks awesome. We'll have to try them because we love food like that.

Just finished cutting/trimming an eye of round loin. Never again.

Anyone have tricks for lessening the tart/sour taste of Greek yogurt when doing a shake? I really dislike fruits and eating yogurt so it's easier/better for me to make a shake and slam it to get that nutrition. What I have been using is plain yogurt, a few ice cubes, a dash of almond milk, and then whatever fruit we have.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Supposedly cashew milk is sweeter. That may help. I know Astylla recently switched to non sweetened vanilla cashew milk and prefers that over almond now.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Supposedly cashew milk is sweeter. That may help. I know Astylla recently switched to non sweetened vanilla cashew milk and prefers that over almond now.

I've been hesitant to buy vanilla because of using the milk for other cooking things. However, I think we could get away with having one of each since they don't expire quickly.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Could throw in a little bit of honey