FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadritan View Post
    Could throw in a little bit of honey

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Never considered that and will for sure do it. Thanks.

That eye of round loin was cut into three sections and all cooked in the sous vide. I swear all sous vide steak recipes never turn out the way they say. Cooked it temp and time wise as instructed for rare to medium rare and one portion turned out borderline medium well. Haven't seared the other two yet. It tastes very good, but for our liking it's overcooked.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    That eye of round loin was cut into three sections and all cooked in the sous vide. I swear all sous vide steak recipes never turn out the way they say. Cooked it temp and time wise as instructed for rare to medium rare and one portion turned out borderline medium well. Haven't seared the other two yet. It tastes very good, but for our liking it's overcooked.
    Ok what temp/times you using? Also why using recipes for just cooking steak? Most these have guides for meat and such.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Ok what temp/times you using? Also why using recipes for just cooking steak? Most these have guides for meat and such.
    recipe=guide. 125 for 24 hours then sear. Next time I'm doing 120.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

That's where experience comes into play. Recipes can not account for all the variables. Portion size and density, ambient temperature, humidity, etc.

That's why I always eye roll my wife when I ask how long to cook something and she gives me the ol' chef "until it's done," "when it's golden brown," etc and so forth. Fuck that vague shit. Us novices can't just glance at something and be like "ya it's perfect."

It's second nature to her where she'll adjust the temp and time on the fly throughout. So I honestly have no idea what to tell ya other than just keep trying.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

recipe=guide. 125 for 24 hours then sear. Next time I'm doing 120.
    hmmm 125 usually a pretty good temp but never done something that big so can't comment on time. If you use the same temp for steaks and 1-2 hours that should definitely be rare though. Also sometimes gotta to kind of account for your searing as that will add some heat and cook it some so depending on how hot and fast you can might want slightly lower temps

Champion of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I've never heard of sous-vide before seeing it in this thread, but seeing the posts about it got me interested in it. I'm not into cooking as much as the rest of you, but it seems to be simple and convenient to use (set it and forget it type, my favorite). I checked on Amazon for a precision cooker and came across this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Coo...14&sr=8-7&th=1

Would this be a good one to start with? I don't want to start with something expensive in case I end up not using it often. I can also upgrade later if I end up wanting something better. Is there anything else I should know in advance?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I'd go with the ANOVA, or wait until they're on sale to grab one. I got the budget one for my cousin for Christmas two years ago and she uses it a bit. I haven't actually gotten one for myself.

You're going to need a large plastic tub of some kind to contain the water and you'll either want vacuum bags or freezer bags. Freezer bags being the easier option, an should be cheaper even in the long run.

Champion of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it to see when it goes on sale. I probably won't use it too often, so I'll go with the freezer bags.

Are there any performance/cooking issues when it comes to the 750w vs the 1000w?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I use an Anova BT model that I bought during a Target promo for $80. I use freezer bags. I'll get a vacuum sealer soon enough because I believe we're going to be using it A LOT more. I use a 12 qt tub like Toki linked. Not sure about wattage difference.

I absolutely love using it. I used to love chicken but at some point grew to really dislike it. Honest to god sort of reminded me how as a kid you'd drink a ton of milk but as an adult you can't stand it. That is sort of me and chicken breast (thighs are best chicken). Sous vide changed that because not only does it make cooking it a breeze, it tastes SO MUCH better. I'll still sometimes smoke some chicken breast when I'm doing multiple things on the smoker, but sous vide is my go to for chicken. One thing I tried and was very surprised was frozen fish. We bought some of that frozen pollack and because it's cheap I wanted to try it. Thawed it out and followed a posted guide. I'm not a big fish/seafood person but I could've ate a mountain of this.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

FYI I bought that model I linked for $64 when it was on sale.

Unless you're using a very large tub of water, you shouldn't have a problem with the wattage difference. If I remember correctly, the wattage is how quickly and what volume of water can be heated to the temperature that is set.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    FYI I bought that model I linked for $64 when it was on sale.

Unless you're using a very large tub of water, you shouldn't have a problem with the wattage difference. If I remember correctly, the wattage is how quickly and what volume of water can be heated to the temperature that is set.
    This is more or less it. The regular and small have the same flow rate and both can get to much higher temperatures than you'd likely use. It's just how quickly it gets up to temp. Can't comment on difference in speed though. Should be able to use same buckets though. I think the older versions did recommend different sized buckets but think that had more to do with flowrates.

In some weird extreme situation you might in theory bleed heat faster than small one can add it but given you are cooking steaks with water that's about as hot might come out of your water heater at home and I've personally gotten the old one up what I think was 190 in the winter (steam can kind of interfered with the sensor when you are that high) using a giant iirc 20 quart tub (I like it because it's pretty deep so have to worry less about clipping and/or weighting stuff down) so I doubt that would be an issue. And you can always take steps to insulate.

As far as sales don't worry they go on sale like 6+ times a year lol. Also the should note if you are worried about size the standard model already has been made smaller than original while having a little more power.

And as others have said you'll probably find yourself using it more than you think assuming you do much cooking at home. It's just such an easy, fast (in terms of actual you doing stuff time) way to prep your protein. Extra so if you got a vacuum sealer and freezer space. I'll often just do several lbs of chicken and keep in the fridge then thru the week will pull it out to sear or use in some dish that can throw together quick. One thing that gets overlooked that goes well with this is a good cast iron. It's pretty optimal for getting super hot and retaining said heat for the fast sear without cooking the meat more. Of course if you have a torch or a good grill that can work too

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Those Chimibangers looks awesome. We'll have to try them because we love food like that.

Just finished cutting/trimming an eye of round loin. Never again.

Anyone have tricks for lessening the tart/sour taste of Greek yogurt when doing a shake? I really dislike fruits and eating yogurt so it's easier/better for me to make a shake and slam it to get that nutrition. What I have been using is plain yogurt, a few ice cubes, a dash of almond milk, and then whatever fruit we have.
    Wife chimed in. Peanut butter, agave, bananas, maple syrup, and honey seem to be the best for neutralizing the sourness as far as commonplace ingredients.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

This shouldnt be happening with sous vide and if it is something might be wrong with your setup. 125 degrees is Rare territory. I do my round loins around 135ish, let rest, the sear when its around room temp. The outside edges will get to around medium/medium-well, and inside stays medium-rare. Very easy and hard to mess up.

If your stuff isnt cooking evenly, I'd made sure you take all the air out of the bags and make sure your machine isnt broken or something. I've had my anovo machine for 3+ years now, love that thing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Salad is most likely right that it has to do with the bags and air. It for sure isn't the sear because it's roughly 30 seconds each side.

Grad, I'll try adding more bananas. Thanks!

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Salad is most likely right that it has to do with the bags and air. It for sure isn't the sear because it's roughly 30 seconds each side.

Grad, I'll try adding more bananas. Thanks!
    Bananas are a ton of sugar , honey would probably suffice and it's actually better imo and I used to eat a banana everyday lol.

I also love personally Two Good vanilla greek yogurt, it actually tastes good on it's own.
    I honestly find once you get used to the flavor of the yogurt you don't find you need to add any sugar though.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll get a picture of this after it's cooked but..

We're doing unstuffed cabbage tonight b/c Sis fumble fingered on the Instacart app and got TWO heads of cabbage instead of one. Whoops.

I just put it together and I can link the recipe if you guys are curious. Basically this is find any good stuffed cabbage recipe, chop the WHOLE head up instead of get fiddly (don't forget to blanch it), and assemble in this order; half the sauce, half the chopped cabbage, the stuffing, the rest of the chopped cabbage, then the rest of the sauce. Cover and bake as normal. I prepped the put it together part so I just have to get my butt up and pop it in the oven. ^^

I figured this out with just a stuffed cabbage recipe long ago b/c my dad loved stuffed cabbage, but I HATED making it b/c of the fiddly part. This was a compromise, and since for a while we were getting cabbage lots this became a staple. We haven't done it in a while, but with the double order on cabbage, I felt this was a good time to bring it up again.

Unfortunately other than corned beef and cabbage, put it in soup, and coleslaw this is all I really know what to do with a cabbage.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Wife made this for me for dinner. Sour cashmere trout curry.

Had never had it and discovered this is easily top 5 all time. Just sad I discovered it at 37.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Skillet lasagna came out great.

2 lbs ground beef (93% lean) browned and seasoned with oregano , red pepper flakes , thyme , garlic salt and black pepper.
    Added a few Tbsp. Beef broth to thicken , added half a jar of sauce and mixed well.

Then took 1 cup ricotta cheese in small dollops and let it simmer with the beef mixture until creamy, then smoothed it out evenly. Next I layered half a bag of mozzarella cheese on top , then layered with 14 Volpi brand salami slices.

Broil on high until salami starts to get crisp, remove from oven and top with 2 cups mozzarella cheese and broil again on high until bubbly.
    So good !

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Mississippi Pot Roast sandwich with provolone and extra pepperoncini. Pot roast recipe is from this thread, an instant pot recipe.

Chocolate-filled crepes with strawberries and pecans.

"Baby You Can Chive My Car" burger from Bob's Burgers. Fresh fries and sweet potato fries, fried cajun pickles, burger patty with feta cheese crumbled in, and a sour cream, chive and mustard spread.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Mississippi roast is the best , and so happy to see more love for it. Yummy pics too ! Kind of wish I was having that and not jail cafeteria food lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag