1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 40 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 40 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

About the World Merge and Character Transfers (02/09/2012)

In order to improve the player experience, we will be merging Worlds on Tuesday, March 27, 2012. After the merge is completed, there will be a total of ten Worlds, down from the current eighteen.

To ensure that the World merge is fair for all players, character transfers will be required for all existing characters. Players must select a new post-merge World for their characters, and will be reassigned automatically should they not do so by the established deadline. We urge you all to review the World Merge Summary and the Notes Regarding the World Merge.

This World merge is intended to improve the player experience during the period up to the launch of FFXIV Version 2.0. New Worlds may be added in the future, for example after the relaunch or when player numbers increase.

[World Merge Summary]

Key Dates

March 1 (Thursday) to March 19 (Monday), 2012: Character transfer selection period. *
    March 27 (Tuesday), 2012: World merge maintenance to be carried out.

Information regarding the time required for the merge maintenance process and other details will be released at a later date.
    * The character transfer selection period will consist of two stages. For details, see Selecting a Transfer Destination below.

Details of the Merge

The current eighteen Worlds will be reorganized into ten, and existing characters will be transferred into the ten new Worlds.

Before
    Cornelia
    Kashuan
    Gysahl
    Mysidia
    Istory
    Figaro
    Wutai
    Trabia
    Lindblum
    Besaid
    Selbina
    Rabanastre
    Bodhum
    Melmond
    Palamecia
    Saronia
    Fabul
    Karnak

After
    New World 01
    New World 02
    New World 03
    New World 04
    New World 05
    New World 06
    New World 07
    New World 08
    New World 09
    New World 10 *

* World recommended for German/French-speaking players

New World 10 is recommended for German and French-speaking players. German and French-speakers form a minority within the total player population, and this should improve their playing experience and make it easier for them to get together and form parties. However, it is a recommendation only. The World will not be restricted to German and French speakers, and players from other regions are free to transfer to the World.

* The new Worlds shall inherit the names of the ten most popular current Worlds. Name assignments will be announced after the transfer selection period has ended.

Selecting a Transfer Destination

During the transfer selection period indicated below, players will be able to select a destination World on the World Transfer Application Page. Players who do not select a destination World during this period will be automatically distributed across the Worlds.
    * The World Transfer Application Page is scheduled to be available from March 1.

Transfer destination selection period: From 0:00 a.m. PST, March 1 (Thursday) to 0:59 a.m. PDT, March 19 (Monday), 2012.
    * Transfer selection period will consist of a first and second stage.

First Stage: From 0:00 a.m. PST, March 1 (Thursday) to 0:59 a.m. PDT, March 12 (Monday), 2012.
    - Players will still be able to change their destinations, even after making a selection.
    * Players will not be able to select Worlds that have already been filled. Players can, however, move from Worlds that have been filled to other Worlds.

Second Stage: From 1:00 a.m. PDT, March 12 (Monday) to 0:59 PDT, March 19 (Monday), 2012.
    - Worlds that have been filled will be locked, and players in these Worlds will not be able to transfer to other Worlds.

Restrictions on selecting a destination

To select a destination, an existing playable character must be associated with a player’s service account. As long as a player has at least one usable character, a destination World may be chosen for all characters in the service account, including characters that have not yet been paid for.
    * To view and change your subscription details, visit the Square Enix Account Management System and click Select Service on the left-hand menu, and then select FINAL FANTASY XIV.

Notes Regarding the World Merge

All character details will be transferred, with the exceptions described below.

Character Names

After the merge, if two or more characters with the same first and last name exist in the same World, only one character can keep the name, based on the order of priority below.

1. Characters that are playable on both March 26 (Monday) and March 27 (Tuesday), 2012.
    2. Characters that were created first.

If your character name must be changed because another character's name takes priority, please do so by following the on-screen instructions when you first log in after the World merge.
    * After you enter a new name for the character, the change will also be reflected on the Lodestone.

With this World merge, all character names that were kept after participation in the previous Open Beta test will be deleted.

Retainer Names

If retainers with the same name exist in the same World, only one of the retainers can continue using the name, based on the same conditions described above for player characers.

If you are required to change the name, please do so by following the on-screen instructions when you first log in after the World merge.

About Linkshells

Linkshells will not be carried over to the new World. They will be deleted automatically during the merge
    * Linkshell community pages on the Lodestone will no longer be accessible after the merge.

Because linkshells will be deleted, you may lose contact with linkshell members. However, your Lodestone follow list will survive the World merge unchanged, so we recommend that players who want to stay in touch follow each other before the merge takes place.
    * The "follow" will persist even if the character's name is changed.
    * You can follow characters through the linkshell list or via each character's own page.
     Players will be able to follow characters through the linkshell list starting today, February 9.

Friend List/Blacklist

All friend list and blacklist data will be deleted during the merge.

Character Info on the Lodestone

The World name displayed in character pages, diaries, and histories (including finished histories) will change to the new World name after the merge. If the character name changes, that will also be updated.

New Subscriptions during the World Merge

Players are free to create new FINAL FANTASY XIV Service Accounts and new characters during the merge period. However, depending on the timing of the new subscription/new character creation, players may not be able to select a destination World.

1. Until 0:59 a.m. PDT, March 19 (Tuesday), 2012
    After subscribing and creating a new character, follow the steps above to apply for a transfer to a World. If you do not apply for a transfer, the character will be automatically allocated to a World.

2. From 1:00 a.m. PDT, March 19 (Tuesday), 2012, until the World merge maintenance is completed
    Because the World transfer application period is over, you will not be able to select a destination World. Characters created during this period will be automatically allocated to one of the new Worlds. If you wish to avoid being automatially assigned to a new World, we suggest that you create your character after the World merge maintenance is completed.

Link: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...6e17af09e3a5d0

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

World 10 is probably gonna be low pop still lol.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Sounds like a great plan to me. Nice job SE

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Maybe now I'll be able to find a god damn xp party for my archer. Seriously I've been circle jerking that class for almost 3 weeks now.

I'm pretty happy about the name priority too, I've had mine since Alpha lol.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

He must of changed the 2000 as the optimal simultaneous log ins (or he based it off solely the JP population: which would make sense). Either way this will definitely help overall in making parties, especially levels 25-39. Hopefully.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Squareenix
    and will be reassigned automatically should they not do so by the established deadline
    What the fuck Square. I don't want to pay for your shitty ass game now if I want to keep my character on the same server as my friends...

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

This feels like a very messy way to do world merges. Letting individuals choose their destination server like this seems like the easiest way to split existing communities (in before there are no communities in this game).

Would be nice if your character was stuck in "limbo" until you tried to log in again (at which point you pick your destination server), but I'm sure they don't have the resources to do this. I can see some returning players quitting right away or getting pretty discouraged because they ended up in a completely different server than the friends they had in the game before giving up.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

It's definitively messy.

You only have 1 month to pick your server or you're tossed on a random one
    Losing linkshell
    New characters will be forced on a random servers during that period

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Probably doing it so people resub for that month so they can choose and then cancel again.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

God forbid they couldn't just make it a service option under the SE Account system as FFXI already employs.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Hmm well this is interesting... Figaro will probably still be around. Any stragglers looking for some fun wanna join?! Fresh blood mmm tasty.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah I agree Sol. But, existing communities are barely visible at this point. I remember using FFXIV PRO and looked up the top 25 NA/EU shells before joining, at that time. I wanted to join shells that were currently active and ended up joining 8. The problem is 3 ended up breaking before January and the other 5 which had 100 or so members at one point, were in the single digits the week before billing started.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand there are a few communities out there with a solid foundation. But considering 17 of those 18 servers only have a few hundred NA/EU players currently playing at any given time, it would be difficult to add additional steps in the process. Chances are that a bunch of those might not log back till Version 2.0 (if they ever come back). And that is roughly half a year away.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I am all for the merge but the way there handling it is silly.

if the server fills up as your LS is choosing then chances are members in your ls wont make it on the same server.
    Unless there is a way to see population before you comit to it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Since I think he took JP population as a priority, I can probably tell you which servers will make the list. (This is just from population trends - highest to lowest -from the past couple of weeks).

Most likely scenario:

Staying:

Selbina
    Gysahl
    Cornelia
    Figaro
    Mysidia
    Lindblum
    Kashuan
    Trabia
    Saronia
    Fabul

Axed:

Besaid
    Istory
    Palamecia
    Melmond
    Rabanastre
    Wutai
    Bodhum
    Karnak

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Probably doing it so people resub for that month so they can choose and then cancel again.
    And people wonder why SquareEnix is getting so much hate when they pull dick move like this all the time.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

The issue isn't really which servers are staying, it's the fact that they're forcing everyone to move, even people on populated servers with established communities/linkshells. It's already becoming a logistical pain in the ass trying to pick where my LS is going, as people don't want to leave their friends in other LSes and so on. What's worse, is they're not naming the servers until after everyone's choice is locked in, so it's not as simple as "Just stay on Figaro and we're good". Everyone has to pick a number, everyone gets their LS broken, and everyone has to scramble to try and keep their friends together.

What's even worse though, is how they're handling inactives. It's been said already but it's total bullshit. My LS alone has nearly ten people who were planning to wait until 2.0 to resume playing. Now, we have to try and convince these people to reactivate for a month just so they won't get separated from us. It's more than likely that a few of them will decline and just give up on FFXIV altogether. This really is not a good move to retain players long term...

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

During the transfer selection period indicated below, players will be able to select a destination World on the World Transfer Application Page. Players who do not select a destination World during this period will be automatically distributed across the Worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    This feels like a very messy way to do world merges. Letting individuals choose their destination server like this seems like the easiest way to split existing communities (in before there are no communities in this game).

Would be nice if your character was stuck in "limbo" until you tried to log in again (at which point you pick your destination server), but I'm sure they don't have the resources to do this. I can see some returning players quitting right away or getting pretty discouraged because they ended up in a completely different server than the friends they had in the game before giving up.
    This. The fact they are placing people on a random servers if they don't choose before a specific date is just horrible. I have at least four friends who are going to come back and play this game soonish, some have already rerolled their characters to play on the same server as me (I decided to reroll myself when I restarted this game). I'm pretty sure my friends are not willing to reroll their characters again a second time to be on a similar server, and would probably just not even bother with this game again.

If they at least told us that your servers would stay together if you didn't decide to pick one, that would be nice. and like sol said, placing characters in "limbo" until they can log in again would work. But dispersing people around random servers is just... horrible.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Yeah it would be nice if the inactive just got the choose once they came back. We don't know the future though. It's possible they could give inactive subs a choice of server once 2.0 hits. I think right now they're concerning themselves with the active subs and they'll worry about the rest later. Does any mmo company really care about the people that aren't paying them? Don't think it's necessarily a "SE move" when you think about it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I suppose there's always the possibility that they'll allow free transfers come 2.0 between the ten March servers: they've mentioned their current server infrastructure sucks. Maybe they simply can't do better than this as things are.

Of course there's no point in accepting a messy idea just because it might get fixed in the future (we should try to get things changed now if possible), but I'm just entering the "acceptance" phase.

EDIT: Sort of beaten by Grey.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Oh yeah sorry I meant it as which names are going to stay in the list (afterwards). But you give good points Kari and Mari. I wonder why they went this route. It might be like several have already said, lack of resources or simply like Grey said they just don't care about the nonpaying folks. At this point in time with the transition period coming along, I think Square Enix pretty much has given up on most fronts with Version 1.0 - minus the content they are going to release, and they are just working on Version 2.0. Still I agree it could of been done better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast