+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Festivals     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I guess it depends on what you are used to. I mostly go to very small hippie festivals where people are overwhelmingly kind and considerate. I remember going to the 10,000 Lakes Festival for a few years in a row and as it got bigger you started to see more stupid shit - people cherrybombing outhouses and/or tipping them over, people wandering drunkenly down the highway, people yelling and screaming and generally being asses all throughout the campgrounds at all hours of the night. it's basically drunken/raging frat boy stuff. of course the trade-off is that you never get big names at the little hippie festivals - fat chance seeing M.I.A., Kanye or Gaga playing one of those.

I doubt I'll make it to Bonnaroo but I will definitely let you know if something changes! have fun and consider coming up to one of our little jam festivals

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yuri, I'd totally party with you.

noticing a lack of steel panther in any of these lineups, i guess people hate listening to the greatest music ever

it's okay people thought mozart was a tool as well

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    noticing a lack of steel panther in any of these lineups, i guess people hate listening to the greatest music ever

it's okay people thought mozart was a tool as well
    a few fests still havent announced lineups so there is hope!

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Yuri, I'd totally party with you.
    come to Bella! or any of the Wookie festivals. MN knows how to get down...

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    come to Bella! or any of the Wookie festivals. MN knows how to get down...
    Oh didn't know you lived in MN. My woman is from there so I will be there every once in a while.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I usually go to Bamboozle, but the last few years I've felt unbelievably old there. Then again, most of my favorite acts have broken up/are breaking up(is this becoming a GJ song?)

Sea Torques
    BG Level

All Good showed their initial lineup today. Looks amazing so far and with 20 bands still left? I feel like it's missing a few things, like headliner/late night shows.

Spoiler: show
    THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND * PHIL LESH & FRIENDS * THE FLAMING LIPS

BOB WEIR & BRUCE HORNSBY with special guest BRANFORD MARSALIS *

MICHAEL FRANTI & SPEARHEAD * LOTUS * G. LOVE & SPECIAL SAUCE *

GALACTIC * SHPONGLE * MICKEY HART BAND * TRAMPLED BY TURTLES * SOJA *

RAILROAD EARTH * PAPADOSIO * THE WERKS * WOOD BROTHERS * LETTUCE *

THE LUMINEERS * EVERYONE ORCHESTRA * THE REX JAM *

I'm really excited for the things in bold but have heard good things about all the others.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

if i'm right in assuming that those are mostly all jam bands, i feel like the flaming lips are seriously out of place in that lineup, haha.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

hmm I've had All Good on my radar for a while but never made it out. saw the Flaming Lips at a festival once and it was one of the best experiences of my concert career. wish it was closer, hrm.

edit: oh fuck I totally missed that Branford Marsalis is playing with Bob Weir! Bobby's fun enough on his own, seen him a few times. but never with Branford, that's gonna be a sweet set. seriously considering going now, even if I have to ditch one of my other festivals.

and when I saw the lips it was at 10k, totally a jam band festival. yeah, they were sort of out of place, but it still fit the atmosphere/culture of the festival. I mean, an acid band is an acid band...

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    hmm I've had All Good on my radar for a while but never made it out. saw the Flaming Lips at a festival once and it was one of the best experiences of my concert career. wish it was closer, hrm
    I went for the first time last year and it was the most amazingly beautiful weekend of my entire life. My group traveled from GA to WV but this year the venue is changing so it's in Ohio now.

The initial lineup is pretty fierce but I still feel like it's 'missing something'; for headliner/latenight/rage shows. By the beginning of April all the other 20 will be revealed, at 6/7 every 2 weeks or so.

Last years initial lineup felt a little more glamorous, due to the fact they listed almost all headliners, but I feel that there is some great things awaiting this summer.

Don't let a few miles in gas be the difference in going or not.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

i have only heard of like one of those bands. i am so out of touch with whatever you are in touch with

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

@tyven, I hadn't heard of any of them except the lips before I started going to festivals. even now, I only recognize most of them tangentially. the jam band scene is a pretty insular scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuronn View Post
    I went for the first time last year and it was the most amazingly beautiful weekend of my entire life. My group traveled from GA to WV but this year the venue is changing so it's in Ohio now.

The initial lineup is pretty fierce but I still feel like it's 'missing something'; for headliner/latenight/rage shows. By the beginning of April all the other 20 will be revealed, at 6/7 every 2 weeks or so.

Last years initial lineup felt a little more glamorous, due to the fact they listed almost all headliners, but I feel that there is some great things awaiting this summer.

Don't let a few miles in gas be the difference in going or not.
    yeah, I'll wait for the full lineup before I go but I may end up cancelling Bella - a local festival with a much less impressive lineup and a surprisingly steep cost - for All Good.

would so love to see Umphrey's McGee added to that list. and Dark Star Orchestra. and then there's Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings; not quite what you'd expect on that lineup but I've seen them at a jam band type festival and they just plain fucking killed it. one of the most energetic live shows I've seen.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Flaming Lips are HUGE on the festival scene. Hell, I saw them twice in 2011, both at festivals.

I think I'd only go to All Good if it was a lot closer though, I am not the biggest jam band fan in the world.

Beale Street Music Festival Lineup came out earlier today

http://www.thebealestreetmusicfestiv...ivallineup.htm

Jellysaurus Rex
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Not going to Paid Dues this year, but if I could, I would. http://paidduesfestival.com/

http://bringingdowntheband.com/wp-co...-Dues-2012.png
    oh fuck that lineup looks dope!
    edit: minus tyler, fuck him

also i would die to go to sxsw once

http://smogvsbasshead.com/smog_vs_basshead_2012_v7.jpg

Probably will end up heading to Smog vs Basshead again this year, and possibly the Windish night at Grand Central (supposedly Skream's playing a set there, but the lineup hasn't been posted yet). Fuck Ultra, WMC is where its at.

I almost booked my flight to Smog until I saw it was a DJ Set for Pendulum. Want to see those fuckers so bad live.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Not really a festival but have any of you ever been to dayglow? Is it worth going to or is it shitty?

I know Weltall and a bunch of my friends went to it when it was Nashville and he said he had a blast. Wear clothes you don't care about.

Now that I think about it, they came back again but he didn't go. Might of had to work the next day.