Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Festivals     submit to reddit submit to twitter

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I can't say to that, I haven't really listened to anything by MA since like Formulas or Gateways, though I've heard how bad both Illud and the NEMetalfest have been. I've been listening to a lot of DM lately, particularly Altars of Madness.

This is more my style, though

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Why do heavy metal bands go through so much trouble to make their band logos as difficult to read as possible...?

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Why do heavy metal bands go through so much trouble to make their band logos as difficult to read as possible...?
    I thought the same thing lol

Dolmen

Reading metal band logos is on par with knowing another language. I personally love the artistic aspect of metal logos, as most mainstream music has horribly generic packaging.

That Portland fest looks pretty decent with Witchaven, Marduk, and Withered playing.

I used to go to the MDF a lot, but Baltimore is a shit hole. If I wasn't busy I'd be there because the Nasum reunion is sweet and Macabre always rocks. Plus, Agalloch, Tsjuder, Horna, Bethlehem, Today is the Day (for nostalgia), Autopsy, and Electric Wizard are good adds. WTF at $150 for 3-day tickets, overpriced merch/food, and being in Baltimore though.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    It's simply a matter of following tradition. As death/black metal proliferated, there was a certain element of one-upsmanship in terms of increasingly elaborate instrumental technique and arrangements, and that just kinda spilled over into the logo designs. If you look at old-school legends like Slayer, Mayhem, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Incantation, etc., the designs of the logos tended to capture the grotesquerie of the music, though by and large they were all perfectly legible. Beyond (often mindlessly) simply trying to be faster/heavier/more bruuuuuuuuutal than the bands that developed and perfected the craft, that general mindset often extended into the visual aspect.

That's my take on it, anyway.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

i have heard of 0 of the bands on both of those metal billings. is that acceptable?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

the second one is mostly nobodies that i haven't even heard of, with the exception of marduk and 1349 (who both suck, anyway). so that's completely acceptable!

everyone should've heard of godflesh and napalm death though

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Well, except for maybe Morbid Angel, Marduk, and Napalm Death, that's pretty reasonable, as those bands are pretty important to their respective genres.

Edit: @tyven

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    This morning it was announced that Jay Z will be headlining and curating a festival in Philly over labor day weekend. Anxious to see what that line up is like. Solid chance I will go since its only a 2 hour drive

also want to fuck with this since it is nearby http://50.22.11.19/~thebronx/wp-cont...4/Firefly2.jpg
    That`s where I live haha, my friends and I are so stoked to go!

The Anti Miz

BG Level

There are 0 hotels available that weekend. it is hella gay i dont want to camp like a heathen and i think the closest hotel with rooms is in maryland LOL

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    i have heard of 0 of the bands on both of those metal billings. is that acceptable?
    Course it is. Plenty of bands I never heard of on the second billing as well, there are thousands of bands in each Metal subgenre and most of them released a couple of demos/two dozen splits but nothing else (Agathocles, why you no release normal CD?)/1-2 records.
    Part of the "fun" of being a metalhead is periodically digging for an unknown band and finding a gem.
    (oh, and i've heard of exactly 1 band on that Firefly fest - Killers)
    (oh, and I want to enucleate some of them with a rusty spoon. "Tinie Tempah"? Really? "Tiny Temper" was too hard to spell? Fuck)

Pretty lulzy to have Marduk headline a fest. I mean, they're decent for a laugh (with lyrics as over the top as "Smashing your face, crushing your race, christraping black metal to Satan give praise!" delivered with no hint of parody, you know you've got high-grade idiots), but they've never exactly been good by any metric.

Celeste

Lollapalooza looks crappy this year. We've got Black Sabbath, Passion Pit, and At The Drive-In. Only three I'd want to see, honestly. And the tickets for those are sold out anyways. Eh, no loss.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

SIGUR ROS YOU FAGGOT

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

also wtf at some of those download festival line-ups. Opeth then Nightwish then Slash? really?

/instantboner

http://thissongissick.com/blog/wp-co...ineup-2012.jpg

Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, Excision, Big Boi, Atmosphere, Big Gigantic, Beats Antique...etc etc

Asking for Shpongle might be too much but damn would I like to see that show.

Going to my second festival tomorrow morning! Orange Blossom Jamboree, just a small festival but its gunna be a great time camping out in central florida.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Damn, Liquified is still around?

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

hang out fest live stream: http://www.myspace.com/hangoutmusicfest

coheed playing now, full schedule here: http://creative.myspacecdn.com/desig...schedule4.html

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

dont know if this got posted but: http://lineup.orionmusicandmore.com/
    Headlining both nights, Metallica will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the 'Black Album' by playing it in its entirety on one night AND all of 'Ride the Lightning' for the first time ever on the other night! This will be the only North American performances of these albums in 2012.
    Arctic Monkeys, Avenged Sevenfold, Modest Mouse, The Gaslight Anthem, Eric Church, Cage the Elephant among other bands that are playing

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Pearl jam, passion pit, dirty projectors announced for jay z fest in Philly. My god

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

wait, what? lol..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast