+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Oreth View Post
    Speaking of which! What is the overall view on Mesmer? Really like the look and sound of this as a class but is it one of those classes that wont really be needed or am i thinking too much like FFXI still? Have visions of picking my first class and working up the ranks only to have to sit outside alliances or not be desired for end game content etc.
    Mesmer is pretty fun, I think. Massively overpowered with Greatsword, but they may have adjusted that - more recent betas have not lined up with times I could really play.

You're kinda thinking too much like FFXI though. There's relatively little in GW2 that you can be excluded from. The small scale PvP or Dungeons are about it. Everything else you can show up and participate. Nobody has to invite you, and buffs/etc can't be specifically targeted, they're AoE to all players in range. If you see something going on, you can join in.

Hard to predict favoritism, if any, for other content. Classes are a lot more flexible than in XI though. Every class has a wide range of weapons they can swap between, other skills to add, and so on, that aren't handicapped by skill rankings.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    I thought Thief was retarded good in PvP? Or was that just because somebody learned how to play better before everybody else and then once more people started playing well Thief began to lag behind?
    Thief was ridiculously OP in the first beta due to everyone running glass cannon builds. I could 1-shot people for 17k backstabs and i had 100% crit rate. They removed accessories from conquest PVP which lowered everyone's burst significantly. Coupled with the fact that more people started speccing for survival and it became impossible to kill someone of the same skill level in tournament. It's still good for WvW, PVE and pug conquest though and i still plan on maining thief, but they need a huge fix for tournament play. We're only really good at running away and sniping kills of Chieftan and Svanir as of BWE2.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I think from launch til about 2months in the starter areas will be pretty busy no matter what race you pick, humans might have a higher populace in the beginning but they will pretty much balance out when people can play all 5 races.
    Does this imply some races are locked initially for some reason?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think that's only because Human races have the highest populace very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    Does this imply some races are locked initially for some reason?
    No, all races will be available at the start. We just haven't had Sylvari and Asura in beta yet, which will be getting in next weekend's beta. I think Sylvari and Humans will probably be the most played races.

I think asura and human

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    I think asura and human
    Don't underestimate the huge number of Guild Wars 1 fans who are DYING to play a Charr. I'm not one of them (I'll be rolling a Sylvari Mesmer as my main), but the Charr are VERY popular in almost every GW community I've come across.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

That has a lot to do with the section of the populace that wants to be the "bad guy". As Charr are the only playable race in GW2 that was an antagonist race in GW1, there will be a lot of people who just want to play the "big bad" so to speak. Toss in the fact that there are obviously a large section of MMO players that just want to play the biggest, ugliest race they can, we will see a large Charr population.

As for me, I am still trying to figure out what class I want to level as what. Human Elementalist for sure, but I dunno.... Sylvari Thief or Ranger sounds rather interesting to me as well.

In the end all the races will have huge populations lol

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Oh definitely, especially with the simple fact of personal story. Completionists will be required to level at least one of each to see just a portion of the personal story available. Something like 7000+ different combinations of personal story are available and that doesnt count gender choice (which they have not said will or will not effect storyline at all).

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I can't imagine it will, but if it does, I can see it happening in the Charr storyline. The only reference to gender-specific anything that I can think of is that the Flame Legion thinks little of females and suppressed them when the Shamans were in charge.

I do not think gender will play a part in changing the story at all. Knowing anet this is something they will purposely avoid doing. Which is a good thing.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I am still trying to get someone at Anet to answer me on this one, but maybe someone here as the answer....

How do I make sure my GW1 account is linked to my GW2 account? There is no option to do so after your initial registration it seems.

Edit: Nvm .. found this on the GW1 forums: link

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Does anyone have gw2 installed to a non-default folder on win7? Specifically, to another drive? I have a GW2 folder on my second hd ( D: ) which I have the cew game files in and if run it from there and there is an update for the launcher it crashes when trying to update the launcher I believe (after the initial download anyway). My current workaround is that I also have a folder under My Documents where I run the gw2.exe and there it will update fine, so after the launcher is updated and it starts downloading the whole game I just stop it and copy the gw2.exe to my other folder. After that the rest of the game updates fine on the second hd.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

did today's patch decrease the size of anybody's GW2 folder? Mine went down to 13.8gb

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Does anyone have gw2 installed to a non-default folder on win7? Specifically, to another drive?
    I put it on my non-ssd drive. its in D:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\ and i do not have any of your issues.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Does anyone have gw2 installed to a non-default folder on win7? Specifically, to another drive? I have a GW2 folder on my second hd ( D: ) which I have the cew game files in and if run it from there and there is an update for the launcher it crashes when trying to update the launcher I believe (after the initial download anyway). My current workaround is that I also have a folder under My Documents where I run the gw2.exe and there it will update fine, so after the launcher is updated and it starts downloading the whole game I just stop it and copy the gw2.exe to my other folder. After that the rest of the game updates fine on the second hd.
    If you're still using the first BWE client then i suggest redownloading it because it'll actually install in a proper directory. Once the installation path is selected, you can stop the patcher and just move your old dat file into the new folder and patch.

To answer Katlan, my .dat alone is 15.6gb.

Banned.

BG Level

Does anyone know if the current client (open beta weekend) is the one that will be used at release?, or will I have to download another 10+GB of data should I decide to purchase the game?

You'll be able to use the same client for retail, but you'll also likely have to download a rather large patch after BWE3.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Yup, I would easily guess that the games size will plump up past its ~15gigs to something closer to 25-30 for launch. We will know more of what to expect this week when we get the patch that adds the Sylvari/Asura areas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast