Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That game looks pretty good.

It has been a nice way to re-live the show. TFS made it hard for me to watch the show normally, but with the game, it has been nice.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

FYI following the Renegade For Life quickie, Kaiser and Lani have begun playing DBZ Kakarot in earnest on the TFS Gaming channel.

Two episodes in, and the pace suggests they'll be at this for the next few months if they don't stop with the Saiyan saga.

Aside from the usual riffing, they're also taking every opportunity to point out moments in the game that featured in DBZA. You can get a feeling of how their writing matured from those early, horrible Raditz episodes. They've also shared a lot of examples where they built upon a weird show/story/world quirk until it became a fully-fledged joke in a DBZA script.

Most of it is their usual fair -- lewd jokes, constant references to how they are voice actors now, and Kaiser asserting himself as king of the weebs. But whatever, it's way more welcome DB content than the Shortz. Hopefully it carries us to when Bojack or Season 4 Part 1 proper kicks off.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

They have said in a few places that Bojack isnt happening for not able to make it decent so they decided to not put out a project they didnt enjoy.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

You aren't getting Bojack: there isn't enough meat on the bone for them to do a script they'd be happy with.

If anything, I'll take a Bojack bit somewhere in one of those self-made animations they do. Space Yar Bojack himself is funny enough.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

At this point, I'm sure the most we're going to get is a playful nod the next time the subject of King Kai's planet comes up in Season 4.

But on the other hand, I have no idea why so many people have jumped to the weird/absolute conclusion they've abandoned the Bojack project.

Maybe it's from watching the 100% cancer "reaction" "videos" that keep reinforcing the same false premise (by whining about it... for 100 mintues... for ad revenue...)

They've made 2 official statements; neither said, in any respect, that there isn't intent to return to Bojack when the time is right. In truth, both statements remain silent on the subject altogether.

Here's the transcript of pertinent comments Lani made in their 09/16 direct:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanipator
    Let's talk about Dragon Ball Bojack [sic]...

Now, we've been working on the script quite a bit, going through a bunch of different processes, until we realized... Bojack sucks flaccid dick.

We decided to discard it, if only to make sure we're not giving you a product that we genuinely don't enjoy putting out ourselves, and will most certainly show through in the final project.

But, that isn't to say we haven't been working on some other Dragon Ball stuff behind the scenes...
    And here's Kaiser's reddit post clarifying immediately thereafter...
    Spoiler: show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko
    Hey folks. I want to clear some things up, because the update today was a bit too vague.

We've given the impression that we dropped Bojack because it was bad, but... Truth be told? It's not the quality of Bojack that's the problem.

Bojack as a film isn't actually that bad. It's got a lot of beautifully animated fight scenes, one of the most impressive transformations in the series from Gohan, a pretty decent premise, and (in the Japanese version) some amazing music.

But one of its biggest issues is the absolute lack of conversational dialogue and exposition; it's a very streamlined movie that doesn't offer a lot of room for banter and subversion.

Worse yet is Bojack being a non-character in his own film. He has a handful of actual dialogue, and much of that are just tepid one-liners. His henchmen get it even worse; there's little to no room to make anything new or interesting with them. They're just there to beat up the heroes and then get murdered by Gohan.

As such, we struggled to find a way to change the movie up or even lampoon it, and constantly just... felt like we were rewriting the scenes to be slightly funnier. It kept happening, where we'd drudge ourselves through a scene just to find ourselves, "It's good enough" or "We'll go back later and maybe we'll have something better".

Which sucks, because every time we felt like we had a truly solid idea, we'd find it untenable due to the constraints of the footage. The last time we'd felt so stifled was Broly, but we spent almost twice the amount of time on the Bojack script and could only figure out the first 2/5 before we realized... we were miserable.

Because... and this may be the most pertinent thing I say here...

We're burnt out on Abridged content.

We're finding ourselves returning to wells and struggling with the content, especially following Season 3, and we want to get away from it. We need to try new things, like Unabridged, the DragonShortZ, the X in X Minutes videos. Hell, the X in X Minutes videos have me more excited than I've been in a while because they're giving us the opportunity to finally turn our comedic strengths outward, to new material, material we also have passion for.

And the DragonShortZ allow us to play with this franchise we've loved so dearly for YEARS in new ways! In our OWN way! (And, bonus, a COMPLETELY LEGALLY AND MORALLY MONETIZABLE way.)

And Unabridged is shaping up to be one of the most fun, educational experiences we've ever had; we're learning so much about film-making, improving our acting, our writing; each episode we've worked on has been progressively better than the last, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited as fuck to share it's weird surrealist comedy with you.

We're finally making new, different, and fun things happen, without all the constraints we've had for over a decade. We've been working on DBZA for 11 years. And while I love it more than anything else in my life... we need some space.

(Also, and I'll be frank about this: DBZA is a nightmare for our professional lives, and while we fully believe it's parody, top to bottom, it's made it increasingly difficult to operate on a professional level outside of our own team, and constantly puts our channel at risk due to copyright strikes and the threat of legal action.)

I'm sorry that Buu is still a ways off. I'm sorry that we're keeping you waiting. And frankly, if you are a Subscriber and/or a Patron and you're not getting what you want? I'm not going to blame you or whine if you decide that we're not worth your time anymore. If you're just here for DBZA and the Gaming channel, and you're not getting what you want? I get it.

All I ask-- not expect, just ask-- is that you give the ShortZ a chance and wait for us to fix up the Gaming channel. We've set up a new stream schedule and are working on recording some new material.

But if you're not interested, I get it. We used to be running on all cylinders, and now we're pulled into the pit while we retool things and prep new projects, finding our feet in a world where DBZA isn't front and center, and we're obviously not killin' it like we used to.

Do what you feel is best. We're going to try and make content that we love, but I'm not going to beg or bargain.

Thank you for your time.

Summary:
    • They said they threw out their first Bojack script (i.e. "shelved") because their first go resulted in something admittedly un-funny and unpleasant to produce.
    • They claim this was because the source material was seriously lacking in dialogue and editable content for key characters.
    • They're burned out on making abridged things, and want us to view their other ventures, but apologize if we don't like what we're getting (i.e., continuing to rely heavily on abridged content is a needlessly volatile and impractical business model; they'd like patrons to continue donating so they can keep the dream of "playing video games all day with friends as a career" alive).

In neither instance did anyone express intent to either return or not return to the Bojack project at a later venture. Neither statement addresses that topic at all.

Their first attempt sucked, so they threw it out.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Kaiser and Lanipator confirmed on Twitter today that S4 is cancelled. They will be focusing on their careers and short clips, as well as Twitch partnership, instead.

edit: not really today. Saturday in fact.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Welp, I don't think they're long for this world.

They're talented, and I hope they are super successful.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Spoiler: show

lolol ya, renege on everything I said recently, that's hilarious

damn shame, they did some funny things with that 1 format

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yeah, but this idea was a long time come and definitely seem a mile away. But hey, like we've said in this thread a million times by now, it's been a great run.

Loved all the dbza stuff and the other stuff is forgettable. Great run. Better than literally all the other abridged content creators.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BG Level

I'm skeptical. I think it's going to fizzle. I hope it doesn't, because they're all incredibly talented. I kinda worry that Abridged was really all they had going for them.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    Yeah, but this idea was a long time come and definitely seem a mile away. But hey, like we've said in this thread a million times by now, it's been a great run.

Loved all the dbza stuff and the other stuff is forgettable. Great run. Better than literally all the other abridged content creators.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I enjoyed the YuGiOh Abridged series. But I do think DBZA was a step above.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I enjoyed the first couple of shorts they did, but honestly I don't blame them. TOEI has a huge fucking hate boner against them, to the point they made Funimation redo one of the Buu episodes removing the skit about the cell games as Funimation had the TFS guys do the voices.

Some of them have also done voice work in other abridged like SAO, so we may possibly see them pop up in other stuff. That said, if it furthers their career's and lets them make money on what they clearly have talent for and enjoy doing, then I'm fine with DBZA ending and instead getting the occasional Dragon Ball Z short in their own animation style that keeps their stuff from being DMCA'd and kicked off of youtube.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'll likely never view their channels again; not out of spite or anger towards any of them but just that I don't really care.

It sounds to me like as a collective they had quite a bit of disdain both for the effort it took to produce DBZA and the expectations of the fans (judging by them pretty openly hating on the fanbase in tweets) and wanted to become proper industry professionals. If they think they can make it, good for them, hope they do well.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I really enjoyed FFVII Machima, and I hope they move it to FFVIII after, it was such fun seeing them play it up/out like that.

Infact, I would love it if it extended to other games too.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I really enjoyed FFVII Machima, and I hope they move it to FFVIII after, it was such fun seeing them play it up/out like that.

Infact, I would love it if it extended to other games too.
    Yes but when you look at their model it's literally based on taking something that already exists, telling the same story, and throwing great comedy in there.

It's non-sustainable.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    I'll likely never view their channels again; not out of spite or anger towards any of them but just that I don't really care.

It sounds to me like as a collective they had quite a bit of disdain both for the effort it took to produce DBZA and the expectations of the fans (judging by them pretty openly hating on the fanbase in tweets) and wanted to become proper industry professionals. If they think they can make it, good for them, hope they do well.
    I've never seen really any open hostility towards fans, at least on reddit and from what i've seen on Twitter. I've even seen them answer random questions on the TFS reddit, even if it's been answered a billion times before.

As for disdain for the effort to put out DBZA, I have to disagree on that. They've been pretty open about how it's been a non stop war with TOEI, and it's at the point now especially with Youtube's policies that their financial livelihood is at risk. Hell, Hellsing Abridged was done over a year ago and it still randomly gets DMCA'd to this day.

As for Bojack, which i'm wondering is why you're saying they shown dismay, they tried to make it work for a long time, but the animation as is did not allow itself to be abridged in a way that met their standards.

I still think if they weren't constantly getting DMCA'd by Toei, they'd still be putting out episodes of DBZA periodically as time/scheduling allows, but as it is right now, it makes them zero money and jeopardizes what they do make.

BG Level

They literally have created scenes from scratch.

I don't buy that reasoning, unfortunately.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag