+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls Online     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Rift and Aion were not bad games, you seem to be confusing "bad game" with "not a WoW killer".

Again, you were just wrong, that's all. Spelled out for you... Your initial post alluded to only using the mouse to attack: wrong. It also alluded to clicking a mouse to be bad: stupid. That's it really. But hey you want to think D2 gameplay was bad because of mouse clicking or that auto-attack is a key feature of MMO's, you're just full of great ideas aren't ya?
    http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...10/yeah_ok.gif

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Companies use people that are more prone to saying positive things about their products. It's a fact that cannot be disputed. So if you're basing your entire stance on the fact there hasn't been much negative press about it, the same can be said about literally every single other MMO that has ever come out. If you want undeniable proof of that go a little further down in this sub-forum and read the War Z thread. Optimism was extraordinarily high regarding that game. Most people were impressed with the demo that they were able to play. And then look at the heap of crap that was just released. Hell if you went onto the Steam page for the game you wouldn't find a single negative post. Granted it was because the War Z admin was banning any users that posted negative comments, but you get the drift. Comments are modded, removed, etc.

The point is you're deriding Kuishen for the opinion he has come to based on the information that has been released. Which is exactly the same thing you are doing. You're both arguing about what the combat system will theoretically end up as. It's subject to change. Which pretty much renders the entire debate moot.

But hey you want to think D2 gameplay was bad because of mouse clicking or that auto-attack is a key feature of MMO's, you're just full of great ideas aren't ya?
    Um what? It IS a key feature of almost all MMO's. Yes you can use hotkeys for special abilities/spells etc but essentially all MMO's come down to an auto attack based combat system. Look at all the MMO's out there, if you have to use your mouse or tab to click on an enemy and your toon automatically starts swinging it's an auto attack based game. You can gussy it up all you want with hotkeys or whatever but strip that all away and that's what you have.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Um what? It IS a key feature of almost all MMO's. Yes you can use hotkeys for special abilities/spells etc but essentially all MMO's come down to an auto attack based combat system. Look at all the MMO's out there, if you have to use your mouse or tab to click on an enemy and your toon automatically starts swinging it's an auto attack based game. You can gussy it up all you want with hotkeys or whatever but strip that all away and that's what you have.
    It's a remnant of the past. I wouldn't call it a key feature in current MMO's, sure you start to auto-attack when you target a mob in some games, but without the hotkeys -an active battle system- would the game be fun at all? Auto-attack is generally optional and something you "grow out of", if not it's mostly just in the background and pretty much useless.

I'm not trying to say auto-attack is inherently evil, it isn't, what I didn't agree with is that it's a necessary component of an MMO and that clicking a mouse to attack can somehow ruin a game. There are plenty of ways they could ruin TESO, attacking with the mouse is not one of them.

This game looks like something I would've had fun playing in 2002-2004, a shame it's releasing in 2013 or 2014..oops!

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    It's a remnant of the past. I wouldn't call it a key feature in current MMO's, sure you start to auto-attack when you target a mob in some games, but without the hotkeys -an active battle system- would the game be fun at all? Auto-attack is generally optional and something you "grow out of", if not it's mostly just in the background and pretty much useless.

I'm not trying to say auto-attack is inherently evil, it isn't, what I didn't agree with is that it's a necessary component of an MMO and that clicking a mouse to attack can somehow ruin a game. There are plenty of ways they could ruin TESO, attacking with the mouse is not one of them.
    That's incorrect though. While they may not tout it as a key feature, an auto attack combat system is the cornerstone of 99.9999% of all the MMO's out right now. It's not a remnant of the past if it is still the primary basic ingredient to all combat systems. They start with auto attack and build out from there. I can't think of any games out right now or in recent memory that didn't have an auto attack function based combat system. You're basing your debate on this particular point on a fairly easily refutable fact.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    This game looks like something I would've had fun playing in 2002-2004, a shame it's releasing in 2013 or 2014..oops!
    I kind of agree on this lol.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

SWTOR doesn't have auto-attack and I hated that part of it. Annoying to have to keep hitting that stupid key while doing other things.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

The Elder Scrolls Online

But it was also a part of that game's design to do it that way. I felt it was find and took note that it was never an issue there like it was in the ffxiv community when that game launched. Ff players were like "wtf there's no auto-attack?!" And tor players didn't respond that way.

Whether teso has it or not makes no difference to me as long as it "fits" the game's overall design and scope of combat imo.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I don't get it... Elder Scrolls has never had auto-attack. One of the main complaints when this game was announced was that Elder Scrolls would dumb down the mechanics that made the previous games great in favor of turning it into a sandbox MMO. Then when they announce they have no Auto-Attack (something the community should be happy about since it stays true to the franchise) they complain.

Wow...

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain View Post
    SWTOR doesn't have auto-attack and I hated that part of it. Annoying to have to keep hitting that stupid key while doing other things.
    swtor had an auto attack last I remembered (did they remove that too? Fuck you Bioware)

if not, then fuck you bioware

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I didn't play it at launch so I don't know if it had one before, but there wasn't one when I played a few months ago.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I don't think it has ever had auto-attack. Each class has a basic attack that it uses to start.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

No auto attack ever in SWTOR.

Also this generic bitching about MMOs while they're in alpha/beta that happens on BG is really really getting old. There is a very good chance some people just grow out of MMOs and nothing will ever bring the interest back or recreate that first MMO nostalgia everybody is looking for.

Don't get me wrong now, I don't think TESO is going be anything special unless they roll a nat 20 on their execution of content, but it will still probably be enjoyable and hopefully at least a box-buy game like GW2.

TERA doesn't have an auto attack and I think most people enjoy that combat system quite a bit.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I think going back in to already existing MMO's always seem to be the best way to enjoy the game. I love LOTRO because I can enjoy it at a minimal cost. I don't mind DCUO. I'm sure I can replay FFXI again. And Rift also.

The initial 6-12 months always seem to suck for a new MMO

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^ I can't do it when games start looking like shit years later.

I could get back into Rift or something like it, but not XI. Way too much pixilation for that "fantasy realism" style they went for.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

ffxi just takes too much work and time if you start from scratch

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Pendas View Post
    I don't get it... Elder Scrolls has never had auto-attack. One of the main complaints when this game was announced was that Elder Scrolls would dumb down the mechanics that made the previous games great in favor of turning it into a sandbox MMO. Then when they announce they have no Auto-Attack (something the community should be happy about since it stays true to the franchise) they complain.

Wow...
    The thing is, the combat mechanics have always been shit. If you're playing TES for satisfying combat, you're going to have a bad time. Well, at least the melee combat.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

unmodded combat* there are some "realistic" combat mods that make TES combat much more rewarding.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Pendas View Post

Wow...
    You know what else was a main complaint when they announced this? The fact that it was a fucking MMO. I never said auto-attack was necessary. I said that I think that it is the best way to do mmo combat for the time being. Until an MMO comes out without an auto-attack where the combat is just superb, then I stand by that opinion.

Is it possible this is the MMO to break that mold? Sure. All I said was, essentially: 'sounds like a bad idea'. Which I also think is applicable to the game as a whole.

EDIT: Also, no mmo has had superb combat thus far. I think GW2 is the closest we've come to perfection in a long time but there are definitely a lot of glaring issues with it still.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag