+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls Online     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Beta textures are one thing, but have animations ever been updated/replaced [in a MMO] from beta to launch? Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Senji View Post
    Beta textures are one thing, but have animations ever been updated/replaced [in a MMO] from beta to launch? Ever?
    Yes? GW2 has, they even made posts about it, talking about getting the movement animations right. ARR has already made changes to skill animations from alpha to beta, Neverwinter has also. Thats just the top of my head from recent mmos

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

The thing is they probably wont get animations right, they just need to get them on par with something like Skyrim. I can't say much without playing the game, but it looks like the physics are just all out of whack. And yeah I know Skyrim isn't a great example of animations done right, but it's "good enough".

People are going off the deep end a little because I think everyone assumes it'll be a monthly subscription... I'm not convinced of that. We'll see though. I refuse to pay a monthly sub. for any game ever again, it's just not worth it when you can get so much more entertainment from other genre's that are increasingly offering fun multiplayer content.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    Yes? GW2 has, they even made posts about it, talking about getting the movement animations right. ARR has already made changes to skill animations from alpha to beta, Neverwinter has also. Thats just the top of my head from recent mmos
    Cmon, I said MMO and even underlined.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    People are going off the deep end a little because I think everyone assumes it'll be a monthly subscription... I'm not convinced of that. We'll see though. I refuse to pay a monthly sub. for any game ever again, it's just not worth it when you can get so much more entertainment from other genre's that are increasingly offering fun multiplayer content.
    I think everyone [here at least] just wants a huge A-list blockbluster MMO with full support and an expansion/content roadmap after launch. Those days are probably over though.

Umm those are MMOs...what am I missing here?

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Well I tried, I really did, but couldn't get into it =/
    I can't bring myself to spend $8 for a used copy of Oblivion($20 for GoTY).

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Umm those are MMOs...what am I missing here?
    He is trying to safeface, just ignore it.

That said I am definitely looking at Neverwinter over this, but my wife loves the Elder Scrolls more. I feel a family feud coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    It's like you people have never played Oblivion or Skyrim.
    I personally don't play bad games with the worst combat ever created.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    But you played XI!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    The hater butthurt is strong with this one.

I've always enjoyed Elder Scrolls games. Never got why people didn't like them, but instead got super into games based on animation locking like Dark Souls or TERA.

I don't think I'll like ESO because of the fact that they'll have to sacrifice so many components to make it MMO complient, which is one of the reasons SWTOR never took off. You need to comply with so many standards set by other MMOs that it hurts what made that series great. Best bet for a successful MMO is to make it as a new IP. It won't have any hook to immediately draw people in but you don't screw up an existing franchise either.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

XI had far better combat. Auto-attack gave you a few crucial seconds to think about your next move and the macro system allowed for advanced gameplay options.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

XI had far better combat. Auto-attack gave you a few crucial seconds to think about your next move and the macro system allowed for advanced gameplay options.
    This can't be serious.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I always just wanted a buddy to explore the world with in TES games. If this allows me to team up with him and do that with just the initial game buy in, I'll probably convince him to get it. If it requires larger groups to do stuff (and has a monthly sub) I probably won't be as inclined to jump in on it. Thought this game looked like garbage at first, but my interest is actually piqued now.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Wow, really? Crucial seconds to think about your next move? Advanced gameplay options? Are you trolling or just the purest of white knights?

You can macro in skyrim, and shit, at least skyrim requires you to block and dodge. Lets not even bring XI into this if someone's going to start talking about "crucial" seconds between auto attacks.

arguing apples vs oranges yay, Elderscrolls combat was horrid I agree, but you really cant compare it to FFXI lol, that makes no sense at all

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I've read that combat in both Oblivion and Skyrim is horrid. Obviously I need to play either title myself to form my own opinion, but the consensus seems to be TES is about exploration and quests and combat takes a backseat to it. I personally am not interested in that.

I found FFXI's combat really fun, but I played tank Ninja, pulling Bard, Dancer and Scholar. I could see it being negative fun if you played a DPS, WHM, or BLM. Actually having to manage MP, cooldowns, hate, cast times, debuffs, sleep, managing stratagems, predicting damage, keeping regen up, managing sublimation, pulling, trying to keep the chain going, keeping sambas up, keeping songs up 100% of the time on melee and mages while also pulling , keeping shadows up + counting shadows, casting ichi perfectly inbetween mob attacks, casting ichi mid-animation on a mobs multi-hit WS uninterrupted, ending skillchains, self skill chaining, stepping every ~10(i forget the cd..) seconds, managing finishing moves, swapping on/off on saber dance if someone needed healing, knowing when you can sit in saber dance and play as a pure DPS and when you need to play more hybrid and help the healer, staying 20+ yards, etc was really fun for me. Working together with your party and making sure you could keep chains and stuff, skillchaining, MBing, spamming nukes to make sure your chain doesn't die, helping the puller pull from opposite ways, pulling before the mob even dies to insure chain stays, keeping track of repops + repop timers in your head, using soul voice and predicting needing to SV march/minuet for your DPS to kill the current mob to keep the chain, sleeping adds perfectly so that your DPS can instantly auto-target it and not sheathe their weapon, etc was also incredibly fun for me. I'm talking 37-75 vanilla btw, 75+ is aids as shit.

None of this matters though, because TES is a single player game, and when compared to any other RPG I've played it has by far the worst combat. I'd say games without combat like point/click adventure games on PC in the early 90's/80's have better combat than TES games. If you're going to have combat as bad as TES games have, you might as well not even have combat at all.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If TES combat is comparable in any way to Fallout 3 I'd pass.

edit: and yes I understand medieval compared to shooter is apples to oranges. I'm thinking of the mechanics involved in the combat.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Wow, really? Crucial seconds to think about your next move? Advanced gameplay options? Are you trolling or just the purest of white knights?

You can macro in skyrim, and shit, at least skyrim requires you to block and dodge. Lets not even bring XI into this if someone's going to start talking about "crucial" seconds between auto attacks.
    Auto-block and auto-dodge are far superior to any sort of active system. With active systems there's too much going on and you can't focus on defeating the enemy. This is why I love FF MMO's you see.

On a serious note, the devs for TESO have claimed it's more TES and less MMO, but we'll see about that. Like I said earlier I think the camera might have been making it look worse then it really was. You know aside from the poor character animations and low quality textures, the former a TES standard and the latter will hopefully improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    If TES combat is comparable in any way to Fallout 3 I'd pass.

edit: and yes I understand medieval compared to shooter is apples to oranges. I'm thinking of the mechanics involved in the combat.
    It's worse, MUCH, MUCH worse.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag