Closed Thread
Page 1117 of 1204 FirstFirst ... 1067 1107 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1127 1167 ... LastLast
    Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    I've been working as a contractor for my government agency for over a year and a half now. I have an active assignment open that is due to the Supreme Court on Monday.

Came in from walking my dog at 8PM tonight to a phone call saying my contract had expired, don't go to work on Monday.
    "Some of you guys are alright, don't come to work at the Supreme Court tomorrow."

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    I've been working as a contractor for my government agency for over a year and a half now. I have an active assignment open that is due to the Supreme Court on Monday.

Came in from walking my dog at 8PM tonight to a phone call saying my contract had expired, don't go to work on Monday.
    Sounds shitty.

Perhaps go watch anyway? https://www.supremecourt.gov/faq_visiting.aspx#faqvc8

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalhart View Post
    I mean, am I being a bit of a drama king here? Is it normal for companies to require you to do the job/promotion your aiming for before you get it?
    Where I work it does. If you're interested in something you let it be known here, and they'll start to consider you and teach/test you just to get a feel for if you'll be good at the position or not.

I approached my boss just over a year ago to inform him I was interested in joining management(there was zero openings at the time), since then my responsibilities have grown immensely, to the point where I'm basically covering my direct supervisors position, along with my own so that he can assist them on another shift. My boss plans on retiring this year and I already know that if I want his position(I've been debating my want for it since a few months after I let them know I was interested) it's mine to have. Had I not made it known that I was interested, it would not be mine just based on seniority.

Seniority should have absolutely zero to do with a job promotion unless all other things are equal. A promotion should be given to the best person for the job, hands down no questions asked.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aragon of Odin View Post
    Seniority should have absolutely zero to do with a job promotion unless all other things are equal. A promotion should be given to the best person for the job, hands down no questions asked.
    This is exactly what I believe in as well and recently had to deal with it at that retail job I left. I was hired in as the Mens/Boys "Selling Supervisor" without even applying. I had applied with the company for Loss Prevention, but with my previous sales/service experience and being a great interview, the Store Director called me and offered me the job over an employee of 15 years that had applied for the position numerous times. When asking the SD why me and not the other guy he said, "He's a great worker and hits his numbers, but he doesn't communicate well with other employees and is a bit standoff-ish."

While everyone's workplace situation is different, something I've noticed throughout the numerous jobs I've had is employees with long tenure have a sense of entitlement overall and feel that whatever they say should go no matter how wrong they can be. And to be clear, this is something I've noticed from both personal experience and watching it happen to other employees. In the past when I had been overlooked for a promotion or would see newer employees get praise over me I'd get mad or depressed. Now, I try to look at it like, what am I doing wrong? Or, what can I do differently to become better.

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Seniority should come into it somewhat but only when it's a relative newbie against a long serving employee. I'd say once you have been at a company / fulfilling a similar role for 2+ years it doesn't really come into play anymore because by that point the company should have a good gauge on ability/character/etc. I've been at my company for 12 years and I would be extremely pissed if I was overlooked for a role for someone who had virtually no tenure. I think I'd be upset at anyone who had less than 5 years but I'd be still able to understand someone in the 2-5 year range if they were just better for the role than me.

Anything less than 2 years tenure is questionable though when competing against a long serving employee. I have seen too many people get promoted quickly and then completely go off the rails due to character flaws/personal problems or just be completely out of their depth.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Went to 5 guys yesterday and everyone there was questioning my choice of a 5 patty burger. Like asking if I could eat that.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

That's fucking gross.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

First of all - you're in California so In n out is better than five guys hands down but whyyyy would you want that. I feel sick just reading your post lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Astylla View Post
    First of all - you're in California so In n out is better than five guys hands down but whyyyy would you want that. I feel sick just reading your post lol
    Yeah but you like Birthday cake so...

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Yeah but you like Birthday cake so...
    This is a fact.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Damn, shots fired.

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Man, sometimes life is just grossly unfair.

There's a guy who works for my company and he took leave late last year to take care of his wife who had terminal cancer. This was not long after his mother had died from cancer. His wife passed away and eventually he came back under a new position that would relocate him elsewhere in the country for a fresh start. I had him in for training a few weeks back and he was due to start the new position today. He found out over the weekend that his 10 year son now has cancer.

This guy is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. Even throughout all this he was still trying to be positive and just thankful for everything he still had and that he was getting a fresh start. It is just so fucking cruel and unfair.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

His family might have some genetic predisposition should probably get tested. My sis trying to get us tested because it's our family history and she came up positive

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Man that's a really tough/shitty situation, sorry to hear about your co-worker. About 20 years I had a 5 year old cousin diagnosed with Leukemia, like battling through that isn't enough, one of the hardest things for her was the cruelty she faced at school with all the kids poking and laughing because of her being bald.

Relocating as a 10 year old boy can be hard enough, he'll be in for the battle of his life and he'll have no friends around to boot. Really hope everything works out on this one for him, can't even begin to imagine what he's been going through

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

I was officially diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy today. Fucking genetics man.
    I was in the ER 3 weeks ago, my dad was diagnosed last year. It was pretty much guaranteed I had it, but still a pain in the ass.

My dad did the septal myectomy surgery 2 months ago. It's early yet but they think they've solved the majority of problem for him, so we're going to discuss my own path next week.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

That stinks dude, but caught early enough there's plenty of things you can do.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Need more first world problems.

My old work keyboard would randomly cut out making it so I couldn't type f, 5, 2, 8, /, +, and maybe another key I'm forgetting. Got a new keyboard and brought it in today. It's the kind everything has now with the gaps between the keys and I can't type well on it. Also the delete key is the size of two keys and screws up the Home and End key positions.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Ergonomic keyboards are the devil.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    Ergonomic keyboards are the devil.
    They are for people who don't really use keybaords.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    That stinks dude, but caught early enough there's plenty of things you can do.
    Not gonna let my old man get the better of me with this shit. I'm not super worried but it's something I need to be aware of for sure.
    As you say, it's better early.