1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 40 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 40 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stanislaw Ziolkowski
    FFXIV Server
    Durandal

Letter from the Producer, XXVI (03/26/2012)

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/40829
    http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to...29c9dd24cf1cc0

Hello again, all you FFXIVers out there! It’s my pleasure today to deliver to you the twenty-sixth Letter from the Producer.

Patch 1.21 has finally gone live, and the World Merge is just around the corner. Things are still hectic here on the development team, but seeing how much everyone is enjoying the new content—the jobs chief among them—we’re pressing on towards the coming patches in high spirits.

I was rather finicky when it came to the job quests, and must confess to having put all the people involved to work like a slave-driver (credit to the scenario people, lead by Yaeko Sato, and the quest implementation, cutscene, and SFX teams for rising to the occasion). What’s more, till now I’ve refrained from meddling directly with work on the floor, but this time I couldn’t resist the urge and ended up contributing in-game text. I wonder if players can tell which job quests have my hand in them.

I’m personally a big fan of the Professor Erik and Widargelt duo in the monk quests, and am also fond of Jehantel of bard quest fame. The latter includes a flashback scene which shows Jehantel the Godsbow as he was in his prime. Though he appears for only the briefest of moments, the scene was a labor of love by all those in charge, and I highly recommend you watch it again by perusing The Unending Journey found in every inn room.

On the subject of quests, the eccentric detective and his assistant deserve a mention. The people in charge of these two characters are simply ecstatic at the positive fan reception. As a matter of fact, they were in my office just now expressing their excitement. It may be some time after patch 1.22, but rest assured the investigative duo will appear again and embroil themselves in all sorts of incidents. I hope you all look forward to it!

Now then, as I mentioned earlier, work on 1.21a and 1.22 proceeds even as I write. Below is a list of updates scheduled for the latter.

• Quests

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...islaw/122a.png

• New Content

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...islaw/122b.png

• Guildleves

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...islaw/122c.png

• Behest

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...islaw/122d.png

• Company System

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...islaw/122e.png

• Enemies and Non-Instanced Areas

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...islaw/122f.png

• Battle System

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...islaw/122g.png

• Items, Synthesis, and Gathering

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...islaw/122h.png

• User Interface (UI)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...islaw/122i.png

• The Lodestone

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...islaw/122j.png

Patch 1.22 will see the threat of the Seventh Umbral Era grow ever more apparent. A new primal, Garuda, will descend to offer players the fight of their lives, while swarms of monsters will fall upon hamlets with a vengeance. You’ll also want to keep an eye on the developments between adventurers and entities like the Grand Companies and the Garlean Empire.

Hamlet defense, postponed from 1.21, appears in today’s list. Replenishing supplies in order to expand and fortify hamlets will form part of the content, which can be enjoyed not only by battle classes, but crafters and gatherers as well. We believe that it will be worth the wait!

As for the all-important release date for 1.22, we’re aiming to have it go live at the end of April, ahead of the holiday period in Japan known as Golden Week. The whole team is running full tilt to meet this objective.

Now, I’d like to make an extra mention regarding the job-exclusive weapons listed among the updates. As you can see, there’s a chance that it’ll take until patch 1.22a or later. We’re in the middle of finalizing cost estimation, and so dates are still up in the air. I’ll be sure to keep you in the know on our progress in coming letters.

And that’s about it for now. See you next time and/or on the forums!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

End of April? Thats unexpectedly quick however given the track record mid-May seems more likely~

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

If you think about it, the other client is supposedly still on track for an October (?) release, and they've got two more patches to come + some inevitable integration patch stuff before 2.0. I expect we'll see this one April/May and the other July/August, and that'll be us set for 2.0 :D

Looking forward to finally seeing Hamlet Defence, don't let me down Yoshi.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I want a Garuda weapon sneak peek. º~º

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Good letter with a lot of NEW stuff posted. Seeing that Garuda will have easy/hard mode, I guess I need to start gathering seals soon so I can be capped for the next few rank ups. I'm wondering if the Materia crafting will be via spiritbonding or actual crafting. How was it stated the first time it came out?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I want a Garuda weapon sneak peek. º~º
    BAM

http://www.gamerbc.com/wp-content/ga...ept-art-07.jpg

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The harpoon is actually the DRG specific harpoon, just in case someone thought that was Garuda's.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, those concepts are ancient... and it's only 2 of the weapons. I'm referring to a video like they did with the Ifrit weapon sneak peek:

Spoiler: show

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

-NEW-
    Implementation of content for acquiring and upgrading job-exclusive weapons.
    Would appreciate details about the bolded part. Not that I expect (not sure if even want) something of the scale of empyrean/relic weapons, but it'd be nice to have some long-term goals that are not based on how many dungeons/primals you can spam before you want to gouge your eyes out.

Oh most likely this will be the only information on 1.22 until mid April, then he will release a video of the weapons and the Hamlet Defense, causing us to froth at the mouth, only to delay the update by 1-3 weeks. He feeds on our disappointment. None the less I am excited for the 1.22 update. ˆ_ˆ

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    Would appreciate details about the bolded part. Not that I expect (not sure if even want) something of the scale of empyrean/relic weapons, but it'd be nice to have some long-term goals that are not based on how many dungeons/primals you can spam in a weekend before you want to gouge your eyes out.
    True we do need more info.

Would be kind of silly to release Garuda with 7 new weapon drops and job specific weapons in same patch.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Yeah, those concepts are ancient... and it's only 2 of the weapons. I'm referring to a video like they did with the Ifrit weapon sneak peek:
    How dare you act like the cudgel is not a weapon!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    How dare you act like the cudgel is not a weapon!
    That's the bow's quiver, you poohead! I would never...

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Good letter with a lot of NEW stuff posted. Seeing that Garuda will have easy/hard mode, I guess I need to start gathering seals soon so I can be capped for the next few rank ups. I'm wondering if the Materia crafting will be via spiritbonding or actual crafting. How was it stated the first time it came out?
    Eh, don't get too surprsied about the easy/hard mode thing. Odds are "easy" will be like Ifrit where easy is a 4 man, level 30 Gardua.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Maybe it's the way I ordered it, but that's what I figured. I just meant since Garuda is getting an easy/hard it'll probably be GC related (whereas Moogle wasn't), thus I'll need to have seals ready to rank up post update. I didn't mean to infer it as new information, or even exciting. :X

Looks like a good amount of content and some very welcome additions like seeking materia meld gonna be fantastic.

If they continue with the Ifrit drop rate/model I'm seriously considering just saying fuck it to every and all such instances. I'll use my Hart Guisarme/Crab bow/etc. forever I don't care.

"5%, random weapon, can load dupes that you can't give to other chars, have fun!"

Fuck you.

I still can't believe they haven't changed it yet or that people don't complain about it more, esp. considering they've yet to add any better weapon options.

Spoiler: show
    If you can't tell, I've been doing a lot of Ifrit lately and I'm a bit cranky.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Sounds like Voidwatch.

Except there are more potential drops (which makes a 5% drop rate on weapons a .007% drop rate on any specific weapon) and there is no way increase drop rates.

Also fights are often lost based solely on the internet connection of the people you're running with*, nvm SEs servers being shit to begin with.

*If you thought corpse sliding was funny in XI watch someone's long-dead body slide around and actually bring Eruption cracks with it.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I think it's just an issue where the Devs seem to have put their foot down, and the player base has accepted it. Whether or not the bad drop rates are just pre-2.0 to keep players from easily capping until the next patch remains to be seen, but totems are probably the only solution we'll get until then. I don't think they've explicitly said that that's why the drop rates are so bad, but it's probably at least part of it. The whole primal loot distribution is just awful all around.

As far the connection things goes, there are without a doubt people who have connection issues that have trouble in the fight (I think all of Europe is affected by this?). There are also groups of people who can never be bad at anything and thus "omg lag" has become an insufferable phrase because it's a crutch for anyone who screws up anything ever. I can only probably count one hand the number of people I know that will actually cop to screwing up, while everyone else only ever messes up due to lag.