FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Glad Albert got a real match instead of another squash match, as I'm getting sick of squash matches being shown on the "big" show. That shit needs to be on smackdown or worse. Every single fight on Raw needs to be a very close, hotly-contested fight, but I keep forgetting that they're trying to push storylines.

I say that, but at the same time, what kind of storyline could they have for Ryder just getting bitch-slapped around for a solid month, now? Its like Vince hates him and wants him to job and get squashed long enough for the crowd to get over him, so he can fire him, but that's not going to happen when Ryder has so much of an influence on the company outside of Raw and Smackdown matches. I mean, seriously, what benefit is there to having Kane come out, beat the shit out of Ryder, only to talk trash at Orton again? Kane and Orton have gone back and forth in their latest feud, so its not like Kane is being billed as some dominating monster.

I was pissed at the Mark Henry loss. Henry is such a veteran and is so good at selling moves for people and not killing the people that he wrestles (despite being as strong as advertised), that I want to see him get a belt. I know how the business works, though; I know Jericho had a clause in his contract signing that allows him to go for the belt and do whatever he wants. I know that Punk gets over with the crowd and, as such, makes for a good champ, but shit, whatever happened to the days of a Face champ losing his belt for a week, or even a night? I feel like if they want to hype up this booze feud with Jericho, the best way would be to have Punk lose legitimately, question himself, and maybe start down the path of the drunk, or whatever, only to snap out of it, win the belt back just before the PPV, and then fight Jericho with a clear head. Just let Mark Henry run wild with the belt for a week or two and monster heel all over the place.
    Man that's a great post! About champs losing occasionally, I'm with you! That used to make each show exciting because you never knew what would happen. Now, it's like, 95% positive belts only change hands at PPV. In my opinion, you really exile a huge portion of your market by not allowing them to see something cool like that happen.

That Mark Henry video was crazy because either he completely sold it or there really was a problem where it should've been dummied up and it wasn't.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Lucavi for the "real" GM of Raw and Smackown.

Make it happen, BG. "People Power~!!"

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Is it just me, or is it kind of boring not having the "character" names as much anymore? Like, it's cool to have people use their real names and stuff and it works with some just having nicknames like hbk, game, etc. I miss hearing ridiculous things like Earthquake, Tugboat, Brutus the Barber Beefcake, tag teams like Harlem Heat, Hardy Boyz, etc etc.

Hex, your post about the evolution basically going from PG-R-PG-now was great too.

Champion of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I feel like if they want to hype up this booze feud with Jericho, the best way would be to have Punk lose legitimately, question himself, and maybe start down the path of the drunk, or whatever, only to snap out of it, win the belt back just before the PPV, and then fight Jericho with a clear head.
    It kinda seems like Cena is headed down this path. He lost a match he said he had to win and now he's going to get destroyed by Lesnar. Its likely going to lead to him being on the verge of giving up only to be rejuvenated into Super Cena once he hears some inspirational story of a kid who never gave up and beat something.

I'm also glad Tensaibert finally got a real match. Him winning was the right call and the overall match helped put both of them over.

The YES! chants were awesome as well.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Colt Cabana anyone?

I love wrestling humour!

Champion of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Smackdown spoiler:

Spoiler: show
    * Backstage Teddy Long is dressed as a Queen’s Guard and other Superstars mock him. Laurinaitis comes out of his office and welcomes Antonio Cesaro into his office.

Glad to see Claudio make his tv debut, even if it is just a backstage bit. Hoping Chris Hero and Tyler Black debut soon as well.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

To address what I said earlier, I wasn't saying anything about it being real or fake, I'd just have made different decisions. People like to say that wrestling and action movies don't need to be smart they just need to be over the top, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive and a lot of the times the best of either world utilizes both (a movie like Die Hard, the nWo angle). I would have had Lesnar come out and beat Cena up for the big pop, then do that big scrum they did on RAW, but then I'd let it simmer a bit. Maybe hold off Lesnar saying anything for a week or two more. Have Cena start to show some frustration that these guys keep coming out of retirement to kick his ass. When Lesnar finally talks he says something about how he's never liked Cena either, but more than that, he doesn't recognize this guy in front of him. Have him talk about when Cena challenged him he was this cocky, brazen, rebel, who never backed down, not this chump who's giving the Rock respect for beating him. Though I don't think they're necessarily doing much wrong with the way they're going now, it's just a smidge hot shot in it's booking. It's nice to see Cena vulnerable again at least. He's gotta do the job again at the PPV for sure now.

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I keep thinking ways the match at the PPV will play out and make Lesnar look strong without making Cena look like a huge chump. The only problem with this, in wrestling logic, if Lesnar wins, Cena eventually has to get his big win back. I don't see how they do that if they're building up for something huge next year at Mania with Brock. I'd like to see Brock go all Bane on Cena and crush him and break him. But again, Cena would have to rise eventually and secure the final victory. I just don't see them going for Cena vs Lesnar at next year's Mania as the main event. I'm guessing we'll probably see a Brock vs Rock next year.

Sadly, with Lesnar only signing a 1 year deal and to make him look strong for that 1 year, they booked themselves into a corner where they either make Cena look like a chump in the end or Lesnar loses all his momentum to Cena eventually. Either way, not good for business, short or long term.

While I'm sure the contract could be later modified if they wish it, I think some behind the scenes realize it's not the panacea you're hoping Brock to be. WWE has a bad habit of just running shit into the ground right now. I think one of their biggest recent mistakes was hyping the Rock/Cena match as early as they did. And really, I'm still not convinced Brock is good for them. I also disliked early Cena and his wannabe Eminem schtick, much as some want to say he was better then. Perhaps the trend here is that the focus actually isn't on wrestling, but the personas.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

In regards to a Rock vs Brock at WM 29 next year, it may or may not happen in light of the recent buy rate news about WM 28. The higherups in the WWE were very happy with the buyrate this year that they are considering a Rock v Cena rematch next year. Would be a pretty interesting match either way but I rather see Rock vs Lesnar

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

People bought into Rock vs Cena cause it was Rock's big singles return match. Remember, Survivor Series didn't sell all that well and Rock was featured on that card. Rock vs Cena's big draw was, who is gonna win? If they run the same main event next year, people aren't going to buy it for that drama. Most will assume that Cena is getting his win back and where's the excitement in that?

Brock vs Rock, while it'll be a pretty big deal, how will that be exciting to most 'smart' fans? We know that Brock has signed a 1 year deal, we know that Rock is a Movie Star first and Wrestler second. Most will assume Rock will get his win back vs Brock after 10 years and Brock won't be heard from again for some time.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Most people assumed Cena was gonna win this year because theres no way they would let the face of the WWE lose to someone who is coming in for 1 match. So much for that. I can see Rock vs Cena II drawing big again. 29 could do just as well if Stone Cold signs on for a match as well.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I believe that the Rock will eventually return the job to Cena, but Brock has to win this first bout for sure. Otherwise, what's the point? Right now it's classic monster heel set up: Brock comes in, shits all over Cena, makes him look weak and, dare I say it, hopeless, so that when he finally overcomes the odds down the road. They need to build Brock up again and a loss out of the gate would do nothing for him. The problem of booking Cena vs. Lesnar immediately at the next pay per view is the opposite of the issue with the Rock. It's too soon.

They just need to book Austin vs. Punk for WM29. They can have all my money if they do. Rock's last promo suggested he'll be after the title in the future so it could be that Cena is champ and defends it against the Rock or something. A lot of angles open.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Most people assumed Cena was gonna win this year because theres no way they would let the face of the WWE lose to someone who is coming in for 1 match. So much for that. I can see Rock vs Cena II drawing big again. 29 could do just as well if Stone Cold signs on for a match as well.
    As cool as that would be Stone Cold can't do that stuff anymore, his neck and knees are absolutely destroyed.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amy Adams
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Uther

All the interviews he's given recently say he's feeling better than he's felt since before he started wrestling and that he could easily do one more match. Also if he ever does another match, he's said he wants it to be with CM Punk, so while it's not likely, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Straight Edge vs Mr. Stevewieser would be pretty damn awesome, if they weren't already playing that shit up so much in the Jericho angle.

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Punk and Austin had a very small segment when Punk was leader of Nexus. I think it was when he was leader of Nexus or was it his SES. Either way, it laid the seeds and Punk never forgets. I loved that in the Orton story line last year, Punk didn't forget.

I don't think an Austin vs Punk feud would play out anything like what Jericho is doing right now. Jericho is obsessing with proving that Punk is a fraud. Austin would just come out, drink a few beers, stun a few guys and give a rat's ass less if Punk drinks or not. The key in a feud with Austin will be that Punk is the heel saying that Austin gave all the fans during the attitude era a false hero. They didn't need someone who always had a beer in his hand, who would get drunk, be abusive (you know they love to play that real life card). They need someone like Punk. Basically be a rehash of the Hardy feud he had more than the one with Jericho.

And Austin has hinted for a while that he would be up for at least one more match. However, it's widely known that Austin will not come back unless he's the #1 focus of the show. That's apparently why he didn't show up at this year's Mania as he doesn't play second fiddle to anyone, especially The Rock.

Oh I also wanna throw out that I don't see Rock vs Cena next year. I think Cena is the last credible opponent they have left for The Undertaker. If Cena turns more towards the Darkside with his losing streak, I'd wager that will be one of the main events next year.

There was rumors that HBK vs HHH was going to play out as a year long feud much like Cena vs Rock. However with Lesnar signing, that changed plans and Vince wanted to see how Brock's return played out before making any concrete plans for next year's Mania.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

While Brock is under the 1 yr contract, for now, what about him vs Undertaker? They could go that route.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    While Brock is under the 1 yr contract, for now, what about him vs Undertaker? They could go that route.
    Way too much pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    Punk and Austin had a very small segment when Punk was leader of Nexus. I think it was when he was leader of Nexus or was it his SES. Either way, it laid the seeds and Punk never forgets. I loved that in the Orton story line last year, Punk didn't forget.
    Was it the one where Austin was drinking backstage and offered Punk a beer?

"Want a beer?" - SC
    "What?" - CM
    "Want a beer?" - SC
    "What?" - CM

That one?

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yea that's the segment. There was a bit of trash talking on each side there, including where Austin said he could kick Punk's ass. It's not a lot, but it's easily something that can be brought up as a sign of disrespect on either side.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 1426 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast