BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I didn't bother to watch. I actually thought it was going to be just replays from the past or something.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

2 out 3 falls match will likely give them some extensive time to actually perform though. From that standpoint it's great because I believe it will be a hell of a set of matches.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Or Sheamus will win one of his falls in under 20 seconds again. I hope not, but it could happen @_@

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Count me in as someone who's glad this thread may stick around for a while. It's surprising how many "closet" wrestling fans there are, I mean it's clear people still like watching this stuff, it's just so few will admit they actually follow or enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    Count me in as someone who is glad this thread is more than Wrestlemania. I remember when TNA tried to do Monday Nights and a small thread popped up but didn't last long. The past 3 months or so the WWE has pushed the limits of PG best they can. I really am digging the possibility that Lesnar may run through current talent for a bit. Cena actually being the smaller guy in a feud is fresh as well. I'm not fan of Cena's but he's been really for the past 6-8 weeks. I really hope they bring up how there is a history with Brock and Cena and that's how the AA (FU) came to be. Needs more small throwbacks like that rather than ignoring history.
    I've always held the belief that as a Wrestler and a "Superstar" Cena isn't bad, it's just he really doesn't have anyone at his level of...celebrity...to work with. At this point, Cena has been a major name in the business for almost a decade, and there's really very few guys on the roster who can say the same. He's in this weird position where he's "too big" to believably feud with most of the newer guys but he's too young to really work with the aging vets. At this point, Cena's too big even for the belts, and since he's *always* there, people don't get a chance to miss having him around. But when you have guys like the Rock or Lesner around, people who are big names and still in their prime, to work with Cena he'll be able to step up his game and put on an amazing show. As an actual fan of Cena's, I honestly believe the best thing he could do for his career after this Lesnar feud is over is take a freaking break.

As for everything else, yes the tag team division needs to be rebuilt. But Vince doesn't like tag teams...or any teams or even managers for that matter. The dude is a total control freak so any kind of "gathering of talent" seems to scare the crap out of him. The shame of it all is that tag teams, stables and even simple managers and valets help newer talent or lesser known guys work off each other and build each other up so they can develop as better overall superstars. Without those types of teams, all they can do is constantly throw these new faces at us and hope they somehow stick. But since they'd rather spend more time recapping the SAME DAMN THING over and over again instead of letting their talent get some time on the mic to build rivalries and characters, we just end up getting a lot of wasted potential that comes and goes with little to no notice.

That said, over the past few months, we've been seeing some sort of hope for the business as newer faces are getting into the main event, new rivalries are actually coming off as being pretty interesting and guys with actual talent are getting some sort of recognition.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

My girlfriend is an illustrator and graphic designer who typically loves high art, but she also loves incredibly campy, over the top, low brow stuff too. I told her once that if nothing else was on I'd watch wrestling and casually followed it and that it was kind of a guilty pleasure. She laughed and said it wasn't. As it turns out she's always been really intrigued by it all because of the camp value. Then Punk said that he would beat the shit out of Chris Brown and that got some press so she started looking up some Punk clips. Since then CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Y2J (especially the jacket and trolling) have become her favorites. She needs some women to admire now.

Wrestling will always have the stigma of being brutish and unhip, but it's just as valid a form of entertainment as anything else. It's high theater mixed with athleticism and takes a great deal more skill and intelligence than more acceptable forms of entertainment like reality TV. I've enjoyed wrestling since I was a kid and, while it's pretty fucking stupid sometimes (everyone should read The Death of WCW by RD Reynolds), I still have my favorites I can key in on.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

We should def. be seeing new talent coming up in the near future now since post wrestlemania is usually when all the talent cuts happen and people from FCW get brought in to replace those who are removed. One group of people not going to be around not because they are going to be cut but because they did not renew their contract is the Bella Twins. According to most of the websites I frequent, the Bellas did not renew their contract which is set to end at the end of this month. Should be an interesting time to see who else gets released soon.

Trigun

Quote Originally Posted by pugnax179 View Post
    We should def. be seeing new talent coming up in the near future now since post wrestlemania is usually when all the talent cuts happen and people from FCW get brought in to replace those who are removed.
    Definetely looking forward to Dean Ambrose (a.k.a. Jon Moxley) especially since he started beefing with Mick Foley. I'm not sure the story they're going with but I think its something like Dean is angry that Mick made it as far as he did basically starting off as a backyard wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by Trichocyst View Post
    She needs some women to admire now.
    Definitely looks into Shimmer. Women from all over the world come to wrestle there.
    Also check out Japans women promotions, I can't tell if they're really good or if they're beating the shit out of eachother most of the time.
    Spoiler: show

Also a guide from /wooo/ for Japanese Wrestling. Big picture.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Dean has basically been saying that Mick is responsible for hardcore wrestling, and because people had to do so much hardcore style matches they are all injured and broken from the years of abuse. He posted a picture of himself at the doctors with barb wire scars on his back.

tweeting this along with it “Fun morning trying to explain gross barbwire scars and excessive nerve damage to #wwe doctors,#thanksmick”

Trigun

God damn I fuckin love this shit it's like Shakespeare or something.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I already want to re-book the Cena/Lesnar feud. There's a small handful of storylines I'd like to re-write just for kicks.

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

At least with the Lesnar/Cena thing going on, they bring up how Cena only became the man because Lesnar left.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amy Adams
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Uther

Daniel Bryan and Kofi segment backstage was gold, was wondering how long they were going to let the "YES!" go on.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Makwa Ironwill
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

"YES" is so over, my god.
    Was a decent RAW overall.
    Thought Henry would win, because for a while WWE had Henry listed as WWE Champion on their site. Maybe they changed their minds.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

At least they had him lose in a decent fashion, Henry really does work well as a monster heel and I would have no problems if he eventually gets himself another run as champion before he eventually retires. He's been around just as long and even longer then a lot of other older guys so he definitely earned time in the main event.

Quote Originally Posted by Trichocyst View Post
    Wrestling will always have the stigma of being brutish and unhip, but it's just as valid a form of entertainment as anything else. It's high theater mixed with athleticism and takes a great deal more skill and intelligence than more acceptable forms of entertainment like reality TV. I've enjoyed wrestling since I was a kid and, while it's pretty fucking stupid sometimes (everyone should read The Death of WCW by RD Reynolds), I still have my favorites I can key in on.
    I've always likened Wrestling to being just like any other action movie out there. Who cares if it's fake or that the story can be bad at times, as long as it has interesting characters and great action it's still pretty damn entertaining. Yes it's "fake", but so is everything else on TV, including a lot of the "reality" crap that is so popular. At least you need to actually have some sort of talent to be popular in wrestling, it's a shame Vince doesn't make better use of these talented people though.

Still not seeing any real redeeming quality in Lesnar as performer.

At least with the Lesnar/Cena thing going on, they bring up how Cena only became the man because Lesnar left.
    Unlikely. I've seen people claim Cena has no charisma or any uniqueness to his style in the past, but I think that describes Lesnar a hell of a lot more. Trying to be all Kane 2.0 as some bringer of destruction just isn't working, both in his delivery and the overall environment. Kane had the mystique of Undertaker to work off of, as well as the absurdity of Paul Bearer. I got bored to death of Goldberg and the dominance angle they pushed of him in WCW, another stale character, and implying similar for Brock if he does more than play with Cena just isn't exciting me.

Throwing heels at boy scout Cena is probably the WWE's biggest mistake in handling him and the gap between other talent. Actually, I'd say their too heel-heavy in general and this whole GM shit isn't helping.

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Lesnar's big draw when he first came in was that he was that bully who you wanted someone to destroy. At the end of the first run, nobody really stopped him. It wasn't until his feud with Angle that for the first time, maybe Lesnar was vulnerable.

Lesnar's second heel run was awesome. He took the bully approach to a higher level. Not just destroying people but mocking them and taunting them at every corner. At the end of the day, the big underdog in Eddie Guerrero defeated him and Lesnar left.

Lesnar does seem to have this whole thing that either you Love him or you Hate him. My cousin found his first run totally bland. I personally enjoyed watching him come out and show super human strength and destroying people. He was so big and muscular and showed he could pick up anyone with ease. Really at the end of the day, who was going to stop him? Cena and Batista both got their big runs due to Lesnar leaving. He was what Vince was banking on and he left.

As for Cena, he started to get over because of his feud with Lesnar then later with The Undertaker. Cena today, he's just so watered down. If he makes a joke, it's usually a juvenile poop joke that isn't funny. He's cheesy and that's what turns off the adult male crowd. Children are going to love him cause he's the WWE's version of Superman. Women love him because, well just look at him. When Cena started to show an edge during the last few weeks before Wrestlemania, he showed how much he's held back.

I always say that Wrestling is doing it's own circle. We started with a cartoon, children friendly era of the 80's with Hogan as your champion. Then he was gone and we got a crop of younger, more brash wrestlers that would turn into the attitude era with Austin, Rock, Foley, Taker and HHH among many others. For years we had a pure PG era that's slowly becoming a little more edgier.

Wrestling evolves with it's audience. It grows up as we do. Now that those of us who grew up in the 80's have children that are watching wrestling. As our children grow up, so will the product.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

YESLOCK!

That is all.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Enjoyed last nights show. I was really hoping Henry would've won, but oh well. I'm surprised at how well Daniel Bryan is getting on now, especially with the YES chant. Kinda funny though.

Epico and Primo need to get got and R-Truth and Kofi are the ones to do it. Or, bring in more new talent for the tag division and heat things up again.

I'm really liking Tensai. I've kept saying Albert, as I'm sure many of you have, but I think he has evolved and I'm really digging the new character. Excellent ending to the show.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Glad Albert got a real match instead of another squash match, as I'm getting sick of squash matches being shown on the "big" show. That shit needs to be on smackdown or worse. Every single fight on Raw needs to be a very close, hotly-contested fight, but I keep forgetting that they're trying to push storylines.

I say that, but at the same time, what kind of storyline could they have for Ryder just getting bitch-slapped around for a solid month, now? Its like Vince hates him and wants him to job and get squashed long enough for the crowd to get over him, so he can fire him, but that's not going to happen when Ryder has so much of an influence on the company outside of Raw and Smackdown matches. I mean, seriously, what benefit is there to having Kane come out, beat the shit out of Ryder, only to talk trash at Orton again? Kane and Orton have gone back and forth in their latest feud, so its not like Kane is being billed as some dominating monster.

I was pissed at the Mark Henry loss. Henry is such a veteran and is so good at selling moves for people and not killing the people that he wrestles (despite being as strong as advertised), that I want to see him get a belt. I know how the business works, though; I know Jericho had a clause in his contract signing that allows him to go for the belt and do whatever he wants. I know that Punk gets over with the crowd and, as such, makes for a good champ, but shit, whatever happened to the days of a Face champ losing his belt for a week, or even a night? I feel like if they want to hype up this booze feud with Jericho, the best way would be to have Punk lose legitimately, question himself, and maybe start down the path of the drunk, or whatever, only to snap out of it, win the belt back just before the PPV, and then fight Jericho with a clear head. Just let Mark Henry run wild with the belt for a week or two and monster heel all over the place.

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm pretty sure when Henry was World Heavyweight Champ, Smackdown ratings were at their best or near it for his entire run. Mark Henry could be champ for 30 years and I don't think I'd complain. Oh and his smack talking is the best in the business.

Ignore the stupid comments in this video. From what I've always heard was that they were supposed to dummy the door/chain/lock in some fashion but they screwed up. It takes a while to get going but really shows how legit scary Henry is.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 1426 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast