Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Lego: Lord of the Rings

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/7...03dbc007_o.jpg

A post on Eurogamer offers up a screengrab from a now-removed listing on ShopTo.net, a retailer in the UK, which revealed a forthcoming LEGO Lord of the Rings game.

The listing, which is still viewable in Google’s cache as of this writing, gives the game an October 26 release date. Knowledge that LEGO would be producing Lord of the Rings-based toy sets has been swirling around the Internet for a few months now, but to my knowledge this is the first tidbit pointing to a video game based on it.

Of course, considering the fact that just about every other active LEGO tie-in franchise has its own video game (including some that aren’t even toys, like LEGO Rock Band), and the fact that The Hobbit movie comes out this year, it kind of makes sense that we’ll be getting a full-on LOTR blitz.
    http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/201...by-shopto-net/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...deo-game-outed
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    http://thelordoftherings.lego.com/en-us/default.aspx

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Yes!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trine Traverse
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnus View Post
    No!
    ftfy

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Would have probably been all over this if it was done 3-4 years ago. I kinda burnt myself out on the LEGO games since it's the same formula over and over again.

The kids will probably eat it up regardless though since it's a simple and silly series. Can't wait to Youtube the cutscenes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    I kinda burnt myself out on the LEGO games since it's the same formula over and over again.
    And it will never change. Never.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

excited i think

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

This kinda excites me. I'll Gamefly it...

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Eh, not sure how I feel about the actual voice acting in the game.

EDIT: And by voice acting, I mean playing audio clips from the movies.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://kotaku.com/5914863/watch-the-...d-of-the-rings

So, how is it different from the other Lego games?

It's more of an adventure, more of a grand quest (with sidequests!), TT Games chief Jonathan Smith told me recently, after showing off a Mines of Moria cave troll battle. "In contrast to our other games, covering those three movies is an epic journey," he said. "It really is a sense of an adventure rather than a series of stories. You build up your characters as you venture through the world of Middle-Earth.

"Our hub will be the world of Middle-Earth. As you see that unfold, as you journey through it toward your ultimate destination on this epic quest, that gives it a sense that is completely different to the open world of Gotham of Lego Batman 2. You're really driving forward on a quest.

"Practically, in terms of the levels there's a mix between fighting and puzzling as you'd expect. We have some very big battles. We have some cool enemies. And then, for puzzling, if you're a connoisseur of the series perhaps you'll remember something more like Indiana Jones where we're picking up and dropping items and there's some inventory-based play as well and customization of characters as they go through the adventure." Are we talking stat-based RPG? "No stats.. there will be quests on the hub, side-quests."

The Mines of Moria sequence Smith showed was basically a puzzle-based battle. He swapped control from Gandalf to Boromir to Frodo to Pippin to all the other characters from the scene as they tried to fell a cave troll. Sam could set fires; Gimli could be tossed through walls. A weak spot on the troll had to be exploited and, to be honest, while it looked faithful to the movie, it also looked more tedious than the more fleet action of Lego Batman 2 and other recent games in the series. Level design in the series has been rapidly improving (Lego Star Wars III was, as regular readers of Kotaku know, a personal favorite of mine), so there's hope this first showing was just a slight mis-step. Smith himself had referred to it more as a test area than a level.

The creators risk being so faithful to the movies that they don't nail the fun of a game, but here's a little more from Smith, saying the right things: "As we've done in the past where we've got wonderful movies to draw on, we will suck all the drama that we can out of them, so that means making sure that all the work that went into making those movies brilliant we replicate with the right sound, with the right shots, with the right editing, and the right pace, but then we condense and compress and to some extent caricature."

There have been tons of Lord of the Rings video games but arguably still not a great one. On visuals alone, this one has a chance to at least be the most charming. Hopefully it'll also prove to be one of the more fun.

Oh, and for the record, Smith already made the obvious pun for you. During the demo, he stressed a certain two syllables while referring to a certain fan-favorite archer. I chuckled.

In terms of combat (at least for the handheld versions, dunno about console) it should be a little more complex. Baby steps and all that, but a step up from mash A to win.