Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardcore Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

and lol that it looks like a Magic Find set...

Oh Blizzard...

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

I would kill for some 2 slotted weapons.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Syntex View Post
    I would kill for some 2 slotted weapons.
    Going to need to get some DLC or the expansion for that (assuming they're not already in).

I see a lot of people recommending Rubies in helms for leveling--why is that? Sure, leveling faster is always good, but hitting 60 earlier doesn't really buy you anything, except getting some equipment and runes earlier. Do those factors offset the +MF you could have put in there instead (i.e. get better gear faster, level faster so farm earlier)? Otherwise, I don't see the point in racing to 60 when most of your time is spent playing at level 60 anyway. That is, you're going to hit 60 eventually anyway, but the lost MF is lost forever, so to speak, unless, of course, hitting 60 earlier lets you farm more to make up for it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

why rubies in helms? you answered yourself, to level faster

if +mf is desirable to you in normal/nightmare diff, then go for it. (maybe a quick draw belt plan will drop XD)

I agree it's not really crucial to get to 60 sooner -- I normally take the rubies out sometime in A1 Hell (did it in A2 Hell on barb) as the 52+ is grindy, with or without % bonus xp -- but it's certainly helpful. it's not 'racing to 60' as you say; it's getting to where the game is played a hair faster. You also said most of the time is spent at 60, which I think only displays the value (err, maybe convenience?) of rubies. If the game is played there, get to where the game is played. When I had no gear, I'd put an amethyst in my helms, but now, there is just no way anything is preferable to a ruby when you can stomp up normal and nightmare regardless.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Rora -- if your "play with me" comment was directed at me, I assume my wiz will be up to NM in a day or two, depending on how much energy I have after getting through an 11 hour shift today!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Oh and on the MF set vs. xp+ set discussion:

I think it comes down to your aims, and how many times you've leveled characters. In my case, this is my 3rd wizard, and each time, I've saved all my gear I've lvl'd through. So while, yeah, having MF could get me some nice drops, I also know I've got some nice gear to lvl into, so getting faster xp (and then being able to use that gear sooner) is a bigger bonus to me than MF.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Rubies in helms always. Getting to 60 ~20% faster is ~20% safer when you're on Act I~II Hell.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Personally I used to always use amethysts on helms.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Ruby in helm to level faster. Why spend time MF'ing for NM rares when you could be in hell or inferno farming for items?

Amethyst if you're squishy or don't like where your HP is at otherwise.

I love and hate HC but making money is sooooooooooooo easy. heh.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Syntex View Post
    Ruby in helm to level faster. Why spend time MF'ing for NM rares when you could be in hell or inferno farming for items?
    See, that's the thing. Does leveling faster actually move you into Hell or Inferno earlier? Do you find yourself grinding levels, and not progressing because you need a couple of levels to put on new gear? Unless being 56-59 blocks you from progressing, then being 60 earlier doesn't buy you anything substantial.

Admittedly I only finished normal, so I'm a relative newb, and there are lots of things I haven't seen first hand, but based on what I read, I don't see actual benefits of hitting 60 earlier, outside of making the last bits of Hell easier. And I haven't heard many people complaining of difficulty in Hell.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Terrestrial Rage
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

60 allows access to gear that matters. (ex: Sources for Wiz level 59 and earlier go to max +25-50 damage, level 60+ sources get up to +200-400 damage.) The gear available makes a MASSIVE difference.

Certified Enhancement Shaman
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

yeah, I bumped my WD-dmg with 300% from 59 to 60 :3

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Oxyminus View Post
    Rora -- if your "play with me" comment was directed at me, I assume my wiz will be up to NM in a day or two, depending on how much energy I have after getting through an 11 hour shift today!
    yusss you. and everyone else. I got some time in this afternoon and had to public game; and man, they drag you down. People get impatient, people separate, people die, and it makes you sloppier. Most of my deaths have been in games with at least one random person not near me when I died. And 2 local d/c; come to think of it, only 1 of my 7 archived died in a legit coop setting.

Act 1 NM is a perfect spot to hit me up; I've got many heroes sitting at 37-38 (from failed Drury Brown hunting $#@!$@) waiting to push forward to Butcher.

Edit: (ruby in helm)
    And when you put on a 19% xp rubied helm at lv15, then find yourself like lv23 in 35min when Maghda dies, you'll see. It's just a convenience thing; I wouldn't wear a ruby at Lv58 and "race to 60"

This is not something people usually do on their first Hero or two. I don't think I started until like my 4th or so, when I had a comfy amount of rubies.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Terrestrialrage View Post
    60 allows access to gear that matters. (ex: Sources for Wiz level 59 and earlier go to max +25-50 damage, level 60+ sources get up to +200-400 damage.) The gear available makes a MASSIVE difference.
    It does but the level difference when calculating damage is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

When I leveled my barb I was using a weapon in NM that was 7 levels higher(had the mod that lowered level req) with a high level ruby in it. My friend was 3 levels higher but was in A3. I joined him and got rolled numerous times even though I was 2 shotting everything. I went back to A2 and 1shot just about anything and worked through the quests to get back to A3. 3 levels later I rolled A3 hard with no problem and the only thing that changed was my level.

Try it on SC sometime. Go into A3 3-4 levels early and you will see a HUGE difference when you come back in how hard things hit. The stats you get from leveling up is minimal so the calculation for attacks damage and defenses has level factored into it. I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 levels makes a 20-30% damage difference.

IF you can outlevel the content you want to. Also XP gear in your helm makes it so when you get to the end of the act you are already ahead rather than having to go back and level. I was 37 when I killed Diablo because stacked xp gear. I think I only recleared one place and that was helping someone.

Also for leveling up 54-60 I suggest wortham runs. Fast, easy, and can get a level in about 20 min doing it. Safe if you can handle the hammer guys but you should outlevel them at that point and face tank them with ease. It's what I did.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Rora: I'll try to catch up. I'd say at least clearing A2 normal tonight is doable, anything after that depends in my energy.
    But we're looking at 1-2 sittings until I'm in NM

Ridill
    BG Level

syntex is completely right, the effect your armor and resists have on mobs the same level as you is WAAAAAAY higher than on mobs even 1 level above you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Oxyminus View Post
    Rora: I'll try to catch up. I'd say at least clearing A2 normal tonight is doable, anything after that depends in my energy.
    But we're looking at 1-2 sittings until I'm in NM

No rush; all those Heroes will be waiting for you/others. I can't take the tedium of crypt hunting when I'm too high level for good exp, and it's easy to park several Heroes when you're a freak and rolling 9-wide like me.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    newww fireal stay safe; i must leech off your beefiness, plz+thx

btw, another reminder macro in your mind gear to cast stoneskin; it's all I use Kirin's Pole for
    Also Zenith Crown +1 and Mahatma Houppelande and capped enhancing and mind merits, yup yup total nerdboy.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Fireal View Post
    Also Zenith Crown +1 and Mahatma Houppelande and capped enhancing and mind merits, yup yup total nerdboy.
    But stoneskin has a cap which is easily obtainable w/o all that gear

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've honestly second-guessed what fucking thread this was like 3 times now. Cut it!