+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 91 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardcore Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Hardcore Discussion

Just wanted to start this up because I know a lot of people are going to be concerning themselves with softcore, at least for the first run-through of the game.

Post here if you play on the Red side!

BG folks playing HC so far:
    Arkanna (Genocidal#1963)
    Aurik (aurik#1478)
    Gokku (Gokku#1757)
    Euph (Euph0ri4#1646)
    Fireal (Fireal#1158)
    Jintu (Jintu#1787)
    Liggy 0 (Feintsmile#1654)
    Oxyminus (Bagels#1747)
    Penthesilia (LordTurd#1978)
    Plow (Laila#1296)
    Ratatapa (Whippet#1331)
    Roranora (supafrench#1240)
    Samalis (Raiune#1198)
    Synbios (Momo#1630)
    Syntex (MeggidoX#1436)
    Vimes

So far I've started a Witchdoctor, got it to just a hair under 17. Playing solo for now.

I killed the SK at 9, no problem.

Killed the second mini-boss at 12, which probably a little low. I was on the verge of death during the fight until I managed to get a bunch of health globes to pop. I farmed a bit after this fight and refought it at 14 and it was trivial with the extra life and knowing what to expect.

Beat the A1 final boss at 16. The fight was pretty intense, but eminently survivable once I figured out his tells/patterns. I figure I could probably do it at 14 or 15 now that I know what to expect.

Re: my build. Currently I have 5 skill slots; I'm using Grasp of the Dead, which I have runed to Eels for the extra damage. Primary damage skill is the jumping spider jars, before I had that rune I was mainly using blowdarts. I use the spiders to "scout" on the edge of my vision, much like we used to fish for monsters using amazon decoy in D2. Passive is the -20% damage taken, and I have the AoE fear ability. And of course, the last ability is zombie dogs, which are essential for keeping monsters off of me. Even still, I'm finding my lack of mobility options leads to some very hairy situations at times: such as, a waller boss which completely blocks me in, impeding my retreat. I recently unlocked spirit walk which I might pick up for wallers and jailers. These boss affixes seem very common at this level.

I'm probably going to start a demon hunter tonight, as a backup character, as I have acquired a bunch of +dex items from random drops. The difficulty of normal is not trivial (especially "no-twink") so I expect I'll probably be using this character as a main soon enough.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm looking forward to rolling a DH when I get home from work tonight. I blitzed through the beta content once because I didn't want to spend to much time with it, just get a feel for the new game. I'll probably play pretty slow until this weekend when I get a bunch of free time.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I intend to play HC soon myself, though it'll have to be solo because my friends are giant pussies.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Darkspear

Sigh, Error 37 is back

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Rora's battletag: supafrench#1240

And I will add you too, synbios (when we know your battletag!)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So I lied when I said I was getting started...

I had no issues getting to level 10, then I made a chunk of HC chars (but played none before disconnecting) and now cannot reconnect for apparently another 90min-2hr. ._.;

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Just a note after almost dying in SC from this. Rams in A1 that charge but also have jailer/waller affix should be approached with extreme caution. They like to time their root/trap with their charge and shit gets ugly quick. Also in A2 anything swinging a big hammer will 1 shot ya.

I'm gonna roll a HC wizard when I get to it and servers cooperate.

Yeah those rams are scary with any affix, I can imagine Jailer/Waller would be a terrible thing. I kited a teleport pack like 5 screens before I managed to kill them.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I snuck in for a little bit! I made it to Old Tristram before disconnecting, lol. We'll see later if lv3 Eury tanked for 10 seconds!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I've never played a diablo on HC before, can someone just give a quick rundown of the tricks you have to use in HC that you don't necessarily have to in SC just to keep your char alive? I don't generally have problems staying alive in these games but I'm naturally the impatient sort and tend to rush into groups of mobs so I'm thinking HC is a bad choice for me lol.

You don't rush unless you're overgeared and very familiar with the territory.
    You make sure you're prepared and appropriately leveled for every boss encounter.
    You take the time to fill in spare gear slots and fill up your health globe because everything counts.
    You make sure you take abilities which will contribute to your survival even if they're inferior for killing speed.
    You don't get too mad when you die, because it'll happen and that's just part of playing for keeps.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Keep everything in front of you with your way out behind you. (I see many SC players who just kinda herd up mobs sloppily and then post up to fight in a terrible spot.)

Lots of things would be on that list, but that's a good one. You can be aggressive at times and run into packs, just see your exit line out before you live or get trapped in there. Obviously, crazy stuff in later difficulties may require you to never "rush into groups of mobs" like you say.

Banned.

BG Level

And keep in mind dungeons are random about the packs of mobs (I'm not too sure about this though, feel free to correct me someone), so you might rush to a pack only to find that pack is made of champions (the ones with the silver border)

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    Rora's battletag: supafrench#1240

And I will add you too, synbios (when we know your battletag!)
    Sorry:

Momo#1630

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I see, I guess you kinda have to play it like an MMO, for example FFXI, where you read up about the bosses and make sure you're equipped appropriately? I will probably play a HC char after I go through SC once in this game.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I see, I guess you kinda have to play it like an MMO, for example FFXI, where you read up about the bosses and make sure you're equipped appropriately? I will probably play a HC char after I go through SC once in this game.
    That's mostly what I'm waiting on. I want to get a feel for the bosses and how hard things hit along with make many mistakes before I do it for real.

EDIT: I'm thinking for a challenge and a change of pace I'll roll barb for HC. I know I'm going to regret it but what the hell it should be HARD amirite?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I finally got in and got my first full hour straight of playing without issue, just past beta content now, building some wannabe masamune that requires 3 pieces.. 2/3 atm (@'.')@;

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Syntex View Post
    That's mostly what I'm waiting on. I want to get a feel for the bosses and how hard things hit along with make many mistakes before I do it for real.
    Nah, don't prepare too much :D Mistakes & dying is part of HC. Every char you make will die. And then we go make a new one.

That is the HC way.

On a more serious note though, play the game any way you like I'm still on Starter's Edition, when I get my disc in the mail though I will go full HC.

Also, post screenies of your deaths in here!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I would post it if I had it. Man, I figured I was pushing it too much on the one session I could stay semi-connected. I dropped from game 3 times and came back dead on the third. I felt like I was in decent shape especially after surviving two previous DCs. I was level 15, 820 hp or so, working on halls of agony level 2 when Eury's first short run ended. I hadn't put anything else on other chars and my tiny stash was full. Dumb to lose ~14 fallen teeth from sloppy item management.

Sleep time for a little; hopefully disconnects become increasingly rare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 91 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast