1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 47 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 12 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 11 hours, 47 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 22 hours, 12 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Naw, those ratios don't match (see: Dragoon Dragonfire Dive), and I don't see any reason to show your exp bar to others. Hate bar makes much more sense.
    Hm, yeah you're right. My bad!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    I wouldn't look too much into the "no surname" thing. There are a few things that don't match with the current game like full AF before 50, Dragonfire Dive at 46 and Cure 2 being cast. They're probably running a debug mode that lets them do whatever they want like removing the surname requirement or making it invisible. Also Lulu doesn't have a surname just like any main character in FFX.
    I'm pretty sure there have been rep posts in the past regarding the ability to toggle your surname. I don't think it's a terribly outlandish thing to expect, but yeah, that's definitely a debug mode due to those abilities + gear.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Well, those in-game screenshots def look nice. Would like to see some gameplay of this revamped engine.

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Whatchu talkin 'bout willis? You can already tell when people have 1k+ TP. Their name changes color in the pt list.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I'm pretty sure there have been rep posts in the past regarding the ability to toggle your surname. I don't think it's a terribly outlandish thing to expect, but yeah, that's definitely a debug mode due to those abilities + gear.
    Yeah but I fear it may simply be an homage of sorts to past FF games unless we can also rename spells as we see fit.
    Aerith casting Cure II is more than a mere coincidence so we're either looking at actual features or simply references.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Asai View Post
    Whatchu talkin 'bout willis? You can already tell when people have 1k+ TP. Their name changes color in the pt list.
    I realize that, but not all skills use 1000TP. Who knows whether it'll matter with the new regimen stuff though.

Hey do you know if I hold down a skill on the action bar, if they will do that little wiggle and I can group them into folders like on the iphone?

Cannot unsee. . .

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

OK, as someone who was almost ready to think about giving up on XIV, this gives me soooooo much hope.

For a game with a flatter, more realistic art style, I'm impressed. A part of me is always going to want the pure fantasy and neon lights of something like Tera, but this will keep me happy.

(Edit: having the flashier neon UI over the the flatter world is a pretty nifty look.)

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

While I fully agree with others that I need to remain cautious (against the saliva that wants to form in my mouth), I would never ever regret the term "ffxiv-clone" if every mmo would start making their games look more like this:

Seriously, that right there should be what every fucking game should strive to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    While I fully agree with others that I need to remain cautious (against the saliva that wants to form in my mouth), I would never ever regret the term "ffxiv-clone" if every mmo would start making their games look more like this:

Seriously, that right there should be what every fucking game should strive to look like.
    I disagree, sorry not every game has to try and look like real life, to be graphically outstanding. Photo-realistic textures are great but it can only go so far.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The sad part is, until we get 2.0 in our hands, we won't be able to see how it actually plays and just how much they've done to alleviate the server issues. Not to mention their drop rate philosophy. Till then, it's a Porsche with no gas. Great looking.

On another note, I might actually have to keyboard/mouse it up now unless the gamepad UI is on par.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    I disagree, sorry not every game has to try and look like real life, to be graphically outstanding. Photo-realistic textures are great but it can only go so far.
    It's not so much about the graphics (though that's a huge part of it), it's the size. I mean I honestly think the only other game where I actually felt I was in a forest was Aion (and somewhat but not completely Darkshore in WoW). Every other game you zoom out far above the trees which are often few and far between and it feels a lot more like playing on a flat map than a world environment.

I hope that makes sense.

Vuitton

Feralas :3

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    Feralas :3
    probably a better example than darkshore lol, been awhile since I played.

[edit] I would say the design of wow though hinders that sense of being inside the world instead of looking down on it (before anyone jumps on my throat I have zero beef with WoW's design, it flows really well and works with the system really well. I've always enjoyed it, but it is not immersive to me.)

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

probably a better example than darkshore lol, been awhile since I played.
    Yeah and I agree with the sentiment. I never get a sense of wonder from something over the top, it is always about the sense of scale that makes me feel like I am truly in a different place. Even FFXI got this right, Tu'Lia was absolutely gigantic from a players perspective yet the geometry of the place wasn't even that over the top, it was all the little things next to the huge geometry that gave you an awe-inspiring sense of scale. Hell with WoW as an example I felt there was a couple places that LOST their sense of scale when Cataclysm launched because they had to get rid of the dynamic visual 'tricks' that made things seem bigger then they actually were from the ground level just so you could have flight.

I'm just not understanding the hype behind these screenshots. The shots showcasing the game world featured a very generic looking forest and canyon-like area. We got to see more of the UI which we already saw in the pdfs last year. No new jobs or armor shown. And yet the overwhelming response is OMFG 2.0 IS SO BEAUTIFUL I HAVE COMPLETE FAITH IT WON'T SUCK NOW DESPITE NOT SEEING ANYTHING OF SUBSTANCE. XIV IS GONNA KILL THE MMO MARKET COME 2.0!!!

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eagleheart Hellsbane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by MrDodo View Post
    I'm just not understanding the hype behind these screenshots. The shots showcasing the game world featured a very generic looking forest and canyon-like area. We got to see more of the UI which we already saw in the pdfs last year. No new jobs or armor shown. And yet the overwhelming response is OMFG 2.0 IS SO BEAUTIFUL I HAVE COMPLETE FAITH IT WON'T SUCK NOW DESPITE NOT SEEING ANYTHING OF SUBSTANCE. XIV IS GONNA KILL THE MMO MARKET COME 2.0!!!
    Shun the non-believer. (>.>) This is the cult of Yoshi P.

Besides, surely there is more coming. ('-' ) Patience, grasshopper. Patience...

Edit: I concur with the above posts in that the forests actually look like forests, and I hope that they follow through with that all the way.

Plenty of folks want to dampen expectations, or not get themselves overly psyched, and that's all well and fine, really - but what fun is that? (o.O)

I'm like Mulder. I want to believe.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by MrDodo View Post
    Its about the lighting engine mostly, but also because the geometry of the terrain (outside of the copy-pasted cactus in that one Thanalan shot but every MMO, hell every game under the sun uses copy pasted assets, just usually not full blown height mapped terrain like FFXIV v1.0 did) doesn't seem to be endlessly repeated. The UI looks clean and usuable, and there is a certain dream like quality to some of the terrain, but I imagine a lot of that is due to the subtle shadowing and lower resolution and aliasing giving it abstract feel. This is completely different then the current game and was one of the BIGGEST complaints of the original game, to see that its changed so drastically, (And it has, don't kid yourself) is reason enough for a lot of us to get excited. Of course we will need to see and PLAY the game to alleviate all our complaints, but what we can actually get from screens has a lot of us very excited.

Also we did see new armor, just in concept form only right now. We do know the botanist gear is partially in game already, the harvester hat drops in Hamlets.

It's not so much about the graphics (though that's a huge part of it), it's the size. I mean I honestly think the only other game where I actually felt I was in a forest was Aion (and somewhat but not completely Darkshore in WoW). Every other game you zoom out far above the trees which are often few and far between and it feels a lot more like playing on a flat map than a world environment.

I hope that makes sense.
    I agree 100%, but until I can see the game in motion, and not an off angled screenshot that is not even the camera placement that one would be usually playing at. No excitement will be had. Capturing an awesome looking moment is one thing but keeping awesome during actual gameplay is another. Its just amazing how much we want to forget the failure 14 is, a couple screen shots isn't gonna change anything, as it stands "right now" 14 is still one of the best looking mmos to date, but it's still a piece of shit game.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    I agree 100%, but until I can see the game in motion, and not an off angled screenshot that is not even the camera placement that one would be usually playing at. No excitement will be had. Capturing an awesome looking moment is one thing but keeping awesome during actual gameplay is another. Its just amazing how much we want to forget the failure 14 is, a couple screen shots isn't gonna change anything, as it stands "right now" 14 is still one of the best looking mmos to date, but it's still a piece of shit game.
    oh I agree, hence why I said I have to remain cautious. I was mostly referring to I wish more games would succeed at the immersion concept, but don't think I 100% believe FFXIV succeeded in this. They are however, on the right track, and I wish more games were too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast