Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

So... Luminous isn't exactly SE tech. It turns out there is another engine (middleware) that was developed by Silicon Studio (Bravely Default, 3D Dot Heroes) called YEBIS 2 contained within. It's a post-rendering (lens flare/glare) engine which provides special lighting effects.

Now I'm curious how much more of the engine outsourced.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i dont think thats the way it works.

Luminous Studio is Square Enix's proprietary game engine which is capable of handling real-time graphic rendering and lighting effects not unlike Crystal Tools. The way such engines work is that you don't necessarily have to use it alone and can combine it with other engines or middleware.
    for instance, last we heard from FFvs13, its graphics were still handled by Crystal Tools (being developed on it after all) but the lighting would be using Luminous Studio.

Already in the credits for Agni's Philosophy, YEBIS2 was listed as one of the technologies being used there, so its really not a secret and I don't think there was any intent to deceive anyone. Agni's philosophy does showcase more graphic and lighting capabilities and is less about post-rendering stuff. that stuff just makes it look better

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

What you're saying about developers using multiple engines is not wrong. However, your assuming that the two are separate yet used in conjunction with one another is incorrect in this case. It's literally a part of Luminous, not a separate component.

Silicon Studio’s technology is also used on Agni’s Philosophy.

TT: Yes, we provided the technology for the post effects. It’s integrated into the Luminous Engine. Everything they do post effects with is done with in [Yebis 2].
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/17...minous-engine/

As the tech they've provided can scale down to the smart platform, that fits in nicely with what we talked about in the other "Square Enix's future" thread.

Hope I'm not in the minority liking the "OFF" versions more. :/

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Most of the bloom and flare could be pulled back to half the intensity.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

ah. i stand corrected.

i too think they overdid a bit of the bloom and flare in some shots but i guess it they wanted it to be more obvious for a showcase. i'd assume you can adjust it like on sliders or something.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Witch Chapter 0 [Cry] (Agni's Philosophy) DirectX12 Tech Demo
    Hajime Tabata (head of the next-generation technology research project and Division Executive of Business Division II of Square Enix)

“Our team has always pursued cutting-edge pre-rendered and real-time CG. As a part of the technical development, we created this demo using world-class, real-time CG technology with generous support from leading-edge software and hardware providers – Microsoft’s Windows10/DirectX 12 and Nvidia’s GeForce GTX. The efforts from this project will power future game development as well as Final Fantasy XV, currently a work in progress.”

Yosuke Matsuda (president and representative director of Square Enix)

“Square Enix is working on this next-generation research project as a showcase for our technology and creativity which will lead the future of Square Enix. The results will be used to further advance the quality and technical expertise of our games. We will continue to pursue this research on cutting-edge technologies including high-end real-time graphics using the innovative DirectX 12.”

Steven Guggenheimer (corporate vice president and chief evangelist at Microsoft)

“We’ve designed DirectX 12 to deliver industry leading performance across the widest range of form factors and graphic cards. The work Square Enix is doing plays a valuable role in exhibiting the potential of DirectX 12 to enable even greater innovation and optimized game performance.”

Jen-Hsun Huang (president and CEO, Nvidia)

“Witch Chapter 0 [Cry] features the most ambitious real-time, cinematic-quality graphics ever undertaken. Square Enix’s achievement is nothing short of breathtaking. I am delighted that their amazing team turned to the Nivida Gameworks Effects Studio to help bring Witch Chapter 0 [Cry] to life. This is a preview of the beauty and artistry of video games to come.”
    http://gematsu.com/2015/04/square-en...x-12-tech-demo

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

So is this like Agni's Philosophy 2, or them just using Agni's Philosophy to showcase what DX12 can do?

Square sure is pushing a lot of resources into tech demos recently. I'd be wondering what they plan to make with it, but Crystal Tools happened and nothing along with it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It's an update to the Luminous engine that includes support to DX12. Going forward, any titles, including FF15 (maybe KH3, probably Type-Next), using the engine will include DX12 capabilities.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

My first thought was "wow, that looks really good". And than my second thought was "STOP WASTING TIME ON DEMOS FOR OTHER PEOPLE!!! GIVE ME MEH GAEMS!!!!!"

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

More opulent looking pretentious visuals with zero fun or entertainment.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

you're presupposing based on your own biases. the point of this was showcasing visuals.
    how exactly is a tech demo supposed to bring you fun or entertainment?

the technology is impressive, to be sure. I do like that they continued the Agni's philosophy tale so we can kinda see something similar to take reference to. I thought Agni didn't showcase particle effects very well - everything looked.. sandy? this one doesn't have any of that.. but the wet textures are done very well.

Yeah, sure love showcasing this tech to the public, when the large majority of them to no one will ever see its true potential on PC. DEVELOP FOR PC ASSHOLES!

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

That looks amazing and all, but dude is running 4 gpus. I mean...c'mon lol.

Still, when they can get quality like that using only two cards (preferably only one) I'll be more excited.

I won't complain about square doing this though, even if it takes time away from games. They always try to push the envelope and do good work even if it doesn't always work out in a video game.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    So is this like Agni's Philosophy 2, or them just using Agni's Philosophy to showcase what DX12 can do?

Square sure is pushing a lot of resources into tech demos recently. I'd be wondering what they plan to make with it, but Crystal Tools happened and nothing along with it.
    They used Crystal Tools heavily as it was a cinematic engine and for compatibility. XIII saga used it more obviously (seamless transitions in some regards) and XIV 1.x used it when it shouldn't have.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I just wish SE would stop giving me blue balls and announce Agni's Philosophy as a game, new FF or standalone, at this point I don't care.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    Yeah, sure love showcasing this tech to the public, when the large majority of them to no one will ever see its true potential on PC. DEVELOP FOR PC ASSHOLES!
    Japan will never develop for PC. Ever. Too stubborn, too prideful, too Japanese.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm primarily curious what the cost difference of using luminous to create cinematics vs. a full CGI renderfarm would be like. With it being able to do its current fidelity of visuals in realtime on a super beefy PC, it could potentially speed up production a lot and allow for quick adjustments.

It would make more sense than possibly thinking SE plans on making high-end PC games.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    They used Crystal Tools heavily as it was a cinematic engine and for compatibility. XIII saga used it more obviously (seamless transitions in some regards) and XIV 1.x used it when it shouldn't have.
    I know they used it for XIII, but it seemed like they had huge sweeping plans for it across the industry, got XIII out of it, and then when it didn't catch on like they had hoped went "Oh well" and just said forget it.

I would have to think what they got back from XIII covered the cost of developing it, but probably didn't come near their internal projections for what they wanted it to produce over the course of the last generation and into this one.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

could be part of why FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns happened then?