Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Square-Enix demo new engine from Luminous Studio

Found this in a new GAF thread from SE's E3 presentation.
    Famitsu's tiny report says SE is developing this in conjunction with their CG studio Visual Works, target hardware is next gen and they're hoping in the near future games can be played in real time with such quality of graphics. The project is called "Philosophy", and what was shown is a small part for everyone to see its potential.
    http://www.abload.de/img/l_4fcebcbf53766vli85.jpg
    http://www.abload.de/img/l_4fcebcc09a801ujdkd.jpg
    http://www.abload.de/img/l_4fcebcc221623rait5.jpg
    http://www.abload.de/img/l_4fcebcc295972kbfla.jpg
    http://www.abload.de/img/l_4fcebcc332b56hjckb.jpg
    http://www.abload.de/img/l_4fcebcc486efboidbj.jpg

SE is still god-tier when it comes to CGI.

Also: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/squ...-e3-2012-06-05

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

I came buckets.

Survey asking if you liked the world and character: https://form.square-enix.com/a.p/933/

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    I came buckets.
    Yup

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    I came buckets.

Survey asking if you liked the world and character: https://form.square-enix.com/a.p/933/
    Id like to know a lot more, but this is something different from SE and i am very intrigued.

Producer is the guy who did Sonic Unleashed.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Due out in 2019.

Ridill
    BG Level

Same time Versus will come out.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Looks pretty dern amazing, but if that werent a cutscene i'd be slowly walking around while people are shooting at me looking for elixers in the clocks :\

Has to be FFXV. Looks very different from your standard FF, but then again so did FFXIII... which is a good thing because it shows that SE has yet to run out of ideas after 25 years.

Another girl protagonist huh? I like that too, but I'm not sure if the fanbase will like that after 4 games in a row (Yuna from X-2, Ashe -not the protagonist but she was the main lead- from XII, Lightning from XIII and Serah from XIII-2).

Either way, I'm really excited about this.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

That's supposed to be real time not CG btw.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

wow. while it is visually amazing, I won't expect it to come anytime soon because it seems like this technology is for eight generation consoles and is much more than the PS3 can hande.

thing is, only Nintendo has played its 8th gen cards with the Wii U but Nintendo isn't known for being technologically superior. I'm not sure how much better the Wii U is from Sony/MS 7th gens either.

also, neither PS3 nor XB360 appear to be anywhere near the end of the generation cycle yet. This generation is probably the longest ever, but it is cheaper (from console r&d pov) to stretch out the life cycle, and so far its age isn't really showing yet. I'd give them at least 3 more years before they reach sunset, so I don't really expect them to announce an 8th gen until at least TGS or next year, after which it will take about 1-2 years before it releases..

long story short, if this is for next gen, it's not likely to appear as a game for the next 2, maybe 3 years.

edit: oh ok they said it wont be that far from now that a game using this engine will appear. im guessing its scaled down then.. for PS3.. probably VS13 then..

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    also, neither PS3 nor XB360 appear to be anywhere near the end of the generation cycle yet. This generation is probably the longest ever, but it is cheaper (from console r&d pov) to stretch out the life cycle, and so far its age isn't really showing yet. I'd give them at least 3 more years before they reach sunset, so I don't really expect them to announce an 8th gen until at least TGS or next year, after which it will take about 1-2 years before it releases..
    I think the reality is that this generation HAS to last long. The price of a machine that'd render the vid isn't feasible yet for a console market, so the longer we keep the current one running, the larger the processing potential the next generation comes so we have a real distinguishing leap in capabilities over the current consoles other than "Higher resolution/framerate".

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

yeah.. definitely.. the console market has shifted dramatically, and it really is too expensive to keep up at the old rate of like 4-5 years per generation. even at launch the PS3's price tag was hefty considering the technology it was designed on was decidedly very high end 2 years prior.

also, in some ways the whole resolution/framerate thing has hit a plateau. HD is probably going to be the industry standard for home entertainment for a pretty long time, tho i can see future games rendering at 1080 instead of 720 which a lot currently do.
    and more importantly, games being made today are not pushing exactly the limits of the console like they were in the old days (well, maybe for the Wii, which is why Wii U is coming out), so it isn't driven by that necessity either.

anyway, Agni does sound like an FF protagonist name tho.. because of its nature/elemental meaning..
    Agni means fire in Sanskit..

i'm personally hoping this will be FFXVI, and that they'll rename Vs13 into FFXV to get rid of the hideous "FF (whatever) XIII" naming convention. its not entirely unlikely since they already changed Agito XIII to Type-0 and it's still part of the FNC group.
    (also that would maintain the whole 3 numbered FF per console generation thing)

edit: looking back, Crystal Tools had a pretty sad run huh. Both XIV and vs13 were once on this engine but moved to other engines eventually. im thinking Crystal tools wasn't as good an engine as they had thought.

The only games left on that engine are XIII and XIII-2.. and maybe XIII-3 if they decide to milk it for another.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That quality in real time would be pretty awesome. Not bad, SE, not bad.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Let's not rename Versus... that would be the most stupid move ever. Not only does Versus have connections with the XIII world but it would be a huge middle finger to fans. XV needs to be something fresh and new not something we've been seeing for 6 years

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I thought Versus and Agito XIII were a huge middle finger to fans. It was like, hey here are 2 other games that are totally unrelated to XIII, but related because it has XIII in its title.

If they didn't rename Agito, I'd have thought Versus wouldn't have been so odd being the only one left with its name this way. Even if they didn't name it XV, naming it something else other than Versus XIII would have been just as good. That said, I think VS13's quality is deserving of a proper place in the main FF lineage. I'd only think of it as a middle finger if it was released as VS13 and then had its name changed to XV lol.

if we think of the FF franchise as a giant umbrella and each sub franchise as a smaller one underneath it, VS13 is technically sitting alone. It isn't a part of the XIII universe per se, and Type 0 (which had its name changed because the devs felt it was not similar enough to XIII) seems likely to have its own franchise - they trademarked type-1 to type-3 already.

it sitting alone isn't so bad because it could be its own franchise... but not with a title like that. it also doesn't make business sense to have 2 high profile franchises within the same brand at the same time. The FF franchise is (currently) divided into 3 main sub-categories -the main series, ivalice collective (tactics, crystal defenders, vagrant story), and crystal chronicles, but its clear that only 1 of them is the flagship. the amount of spotlight they've given VS13 is that which only main series titles get, so at the end of the day they need to make sure they don't spread their flagship dollars too thinly.

anyway it seems pretty clear to me that you don't have to have XIII in the games title to be related in mythology. Its like how FFT and FFXII are part of the official Ivalice Alliance and share the same mythos but different sub-franchise titles. Also, Type-0 is still under FNC and even tho its "linked by mythology" to XIII, the way the mythos is used is entirely different. It's akin to saying theres magicite in FFVI and FFXI really. All FFs share some kind of concepts or mythos already.

finally, FF9 is also a precedent. it was supposed to be an FF gaiden but eventually became a main lineage title.

but back to the hint that came with this demo.
    if the first game utilizing the power of luminous isnt too far away, its likely VS13.. and its not being showcased at E3.. so the earliest we may hear from it is TGS.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Being that this is from SE, I've come to expect the dudes to be feminine, and didn't realize that was a woman until she said something. I'm glad they're not going for the usual tittles flopping about, but I still feel like something is weird about that character.

The graphics are impressive for sure, but I'm not sure what to expect if they expand upon that idea. I liked the cult leader's appearance the best (in second place is the janky-toothed old dude).

If that wasn't a woman, I would've thought they were working on a story about how FFVII's Vincent came to be. (Red cape, something to do with her arm, creepy experiments, etc.)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    That's supposed to be real time not CG btw.
    its not CG if its real time.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

they're all CG lol.
    real-time <-> pre-rendered is the appropriate term to use.

i know its just a tech demo but i like Agni, apart from the fact that her voice acting sounds like someone dubbing an anime in English.

Assuming this ends up becoming a FF, she has a lot of potential. She's a mage for starters, which is a nice change from the usual "sword user who may or may not be able to use magic, but not to the same degree of specialized magic users", Terra being the only exception.

She's definitely able to hold her own without appearing as a one-woman army like Lightning (not that I don't like that, but I don't want Lightning clones) and as a plus she's cute without being overly sexualized (see: Tifa, Ashe, X-2 Yuna and XIII-2 Lightning and Serah).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast