Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Square Enix held another demonstration of Luminous Studio, their next generation video game engine, which Famitsu attended. Agni’s Philosophy is a real time demo and during the presentation Yoshihisa Hashimoto changed the camera angle to reveal a few secrets. Remember the scene where a Hyena-like monster attacks Agni? Agni actually fights back by throwing punches at the monster. During the dragon scene, you can actually see the whole dragon rise behind Agni if you zoom out.

Before Square Enix made Agni’s Philosophy, they rendered their underground parking lot with Luminous Studio. Here’s Yoshihisa Hashimoto doing a fly through video showing the gates and fire alarm.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/29...minous-studio/
    http://www.famitsu.com/news/201210/30023474.html

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Something “different” around Agni’s Philosophy, Square Enix’s next generation, Luminous Studio-based tech demo, will be revealed around June of next year (E3, we take it), Square Enix worldwide technology director Julien Merceron has teased. And whatever it is, it will run on “different platforms.”

“So, around June of next year, there will indeed be something different around Agni’s Philosophy, which will be presented on, perhaps, different platforms than those which have been used before,” Merceron told FFDream.

Asked if that meant it wouldn’t be running on PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, Merceron teased, “I can tell you that it will not run only on PC!”

It is widely believed Sony and Microsoft will reveal their next generation consoles during or before next year’s E3.

Separately, Merceron touched a bit upon Final Fantasy Versus XIII. He said the team developing the title has “huge ambitions,” and that the moment it’s revealed, “people will be very happy to have been patient.”
    http://gematsu.com/2012/11/square-en...june-next-year
    http://www.ffdream.com/news-14010.html

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Kinda had a feeling Luminous was going to be used in FFv13. Definitely rebuffers my hope and patience for the game.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

FFXIV:ARR's engine is based on Luminous, and it won't be running only on PC. Coincidence? Maybe.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

would be kinda odd..

vsXIII and XIV are both using custom game engines that utilize bits of the same technology that goes into the Luminous engine. but so far as reports have shown, they're both not of the Luminous engine per se but a precursor or sister engine.

incidentally they're both games that were initially developed using Crystal Tools.

if its luminous, i'm thinking its something totally next generation

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Square Enix technical director Yoshihisa Hashimoto, the man behind the glorious Luminous engine, thinks Japanese development can climb back on top if developers put in the effort.

It’s become fashionable for both Japanese and western developers to decry Japan’s gaming output of the last decade, and while Hashimoto acknowledged this critique, he said local teams have the talent to get back on top.

“I believe Japan is capable of producing interesting games, but looking at the influence, we are being pushed around by western games without a doubt,” Hashimoto told Japanese site 4Gamer, as reported by EDGE.

But the developer isn’t all doom-and-gloom, seeing great hope for Japanese development in Konami’s Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Fox Engine demonstration.

“Honestly, I thought it was amazing. I also thought, ‘We won’t lose to this though!’ It was quite motivational,” he said.

“Recently, it feels like the Japanese game industry hasn’t lost, and is gradually pushing back. For us not to lose, we really have to exert ourselves,” he added, echoing the message of regular Japanese industry doomsayer Keiji Inafune.

“But, I feel encouraged.”

That said, Hashimoto acknowledge the realities of an industry where Square Enix’s traditional triple-A business model – huge, high budget, technically advanced games built on traditional RPG lines – aren’t quite cutting it any more.

“Right now, triple-A development can feel like something of a fool’s errand. While low-budget titles seem to be making massive profits, big-budget, triple-A titles aren’t guaranteed to see a return in sales,” he said.

The technical director said that from a business perspective it would make sense to focus on low and middle end development, but that’s just not what the publisher does.

“From my perspective, I think Square Enix exists because of the high end. I would like for more lavishly made games to still be around,” he said.

“For example, I think 20 or so years from now, we’ll still have 2D card games, and casual puzzle games. The demand won’t go away, so neither will the games. In the same way, the demand for triple-A games won’t disappear either, though I feel we’ll have to work hard to ensure their survival.”
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/26/squa...an-hasnt-lost/
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/some...ern-dominance/

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
    FFXIV:ARR's engine is based on Luminous, and it won't be running only on PC. Coincidence? Maybe.
    I'm quite sure they're talking about FFXV on next gen. consoles. I think it's quite obvious at this point that Agni's Philosophy is not only a tech demo but likely a teaser for the next FF title.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Square Enix has released a new demo for its Luminous engine, showing off the tech’s boast-worthy rendering capacities, which allow developers to change parameters and see results in real time.

In the video above you’ll see the action pause as someone fiddles with a menu; with just a few clicks, things like lighting effects, hair length and number of objects on screen are changed, and then immediately visualised in the cinematic. This is pretty amazing.

The original demo itself is still well worth a look, too. Square Enix has at least one game on the go in Luminous but as the engine isn’t complete the new title hasn’t gone into full production and has not been announced.
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/27/lumi...-fly-tweaking/
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/27...is-philosophy/

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Has there been any noted general response to these engine demos? Are developers impressed? I am, but I am not familiar enough with that end of thigngs to know whether this just looks like a bunch of inapplicable hoo-ha.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

gotta control my instincts and pretend
    not to be a shitposter/homophobe

BG Level

I want to believe this is going to be FFXV.
    Please make it real SE.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Spoiler: show

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

None of it matters if the game is as linear as ff13 =\. Looks amazing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    None of it matters if the game is as linear as ff13 =\. Looks amazing though.
    Sure it does.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The best troll would be for them to tech demo different parts of FF7 everytime they develop a new engine.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by AoE View Post
    The best troll would be for them to tech demo different parts of FF7 everytime they develop a new engine.
    They need to hire you.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by AoE View Post
    Oh man, that would be hilarious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast