+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

My main reason is computer issues [I don't play console]. A computer issue that is being worked on and I think it is fixed, only for it to cause a crash right in the middle of something that takes ages to accomplish in the game.

There is also server-side computer issues in mmorpgs or problems like lag and server crashes that make me insanely angry so I turn off the game.

Trying to get through an extremely difficult single player game's section and after having learned every possible thing to learn, I still cannot get it right and resort to reading cheats and still fail I will rage quit.

I think a person's behavior in a game can sometimes relate to their real life personality, I say this because mine does especially in mmorpgs and less in games that are single player. In single player games, I am less concerned about how my behavior effects others [because there are no others] so I am more likely to endure [or stick around to resolve] frustrating situations.

As for interacting with other players, I am usually the mediator type so it is rare when people or working with other players will get me to rage quit, especially if the players in question are lacking in a skill that I have. I will probably be the one patiently explaining to them how to do it right.

So interacting with people only causes me to rage quit if it is a very caustic very extreme situation that even I cannot resolve. This relates to abusive players and abusive environments in game that I cannot escape without quitting the game for the moment. Also RMT stealing something or directly ruining my game play can drive me insane to the point of rage quitting. Generally things that are completely out of my control or ability to resolve or improve upon.

Rage quit in general could also relate to the source of the frustration from the perspective of the game player. They are angry while playing the game so they stop playing it to get away from that source of anger.

I am curious how many female gamers rage quit compared to male. I am female btw, rage quitting is rare for me.

Edit: I agree with Kuishen on the spawn camping but add that if they are other legit players [not working an RMT shift] it will not piss me off any where near remotely close to RMT spawn camping. I do have a sense of letting others have their turn that allows for really good patience. Being passive and not a 'get leet gearz first' type, I will wait for days until something is not popular to try it and usually this removes the regular players spawn camping where the RMT will still be doing it and manage to get me to rage quit.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    The guys who you face that seemingly always end up in the optimal place to kill you are just plain out thinking you.
    I'm willing to accept that I'm being outsmarted, but not to the extent that can be regularly found in matchmaking.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    For me the most frustrating thing is when I lose or perform poorly due to something that is outside of my control for example, lag or poor game mechanics.
    ^ This, but to me I view it as an issue of dessert.

When something outside of my control forces me to lose, I feel like I'm being robbed of something I otherwise deserve

My game of choice is Dota, which makes this particularly bad because since it's a team game where small mistakes can give insurmountable advantages, I can often end up with one or two players on my team that squander the team's chances even though I personally play an excellent game.

It's especially irritating and rage inducing when the loser is a troll and tries to pass it off as "Well I'm not playing seriously anyway" or goes like "Relax chill it's just a pub/just a game."

I will definitely rage, generally at trolls, but I usually don't rage quit. The exception is FFXI when I finally got pissed off and tired at how horrible the game has become by catering to casuals.

Which is the second thing that induces rage in me; when gameplay and soundness are sacrificed for the whims of the general public on grounds of sales. I don't think games should expand to be marketable to more people, I think people need to conform to the subculture. I hate the direction of "Wii Gaming"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryko View Post
    Was that pointed? I feel like that was pointed.
    Depends. Are you the type of person who feels MMOs are too easy and thus justify any meaningful progress requiring months upon months of play time on a 6+ hour a day schedule?

If so, </3

I tend to align myself between casual and hardcore, at 4-6 hours of play every other day, sometimes more, having more of a personal rule where if finding something would take more than a month to get, I probably won't get it. Understanding this, advocating something that takes months for those types to get would mean those who don't play as much could easily need a year or more, progressively falling behind when tiered content is added. And of course, when new tiers come around, old tiers aren't done as often, if ever, usually putting up a giant brick wall for people that slows things further. For a layman's FFXI example, consider trying to do CoP after the rushes, but before SE lifted the level caps. You'd pretty much have to be in the right place at the right time to get a group or have really nice friends willing to backtrack through that shit.

Add a dash of Qal's later comment requiring certain builds and/or gear and you basically start segregating portions of a game's community from each other where the top end can unfortunately negatively influence the bottom end through the economy or even justifying lazy developer practices by encouraging long grinds in place of more varied content without the mathematical walls of "No hope unless you have XYZ stats" over honest skill.

I saw a guy IRL ragequit playing Johann Sebastian Joust at GDC this year.

He took the Move, threw it to the ground (hard), screamed, "I ALWAYS FUCKING LOSE THIS GAME!", grabbed his backpack, and stormed off, screaming, "EVERYONE GOES FOR ME FUCK THIS!"

It was... surreal. It was a subtle reminder that nerds still don't really have social skills.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

'Spergers gonna sperg.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    Will there be any discussion of Brooklyn Rage and/or Fury?
    It's possible, my rage of the brooklyn variety is pretty well known.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I get frustrated the most when failure is a result of some technical issue.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

To anyone who rage-quits playing SP Demon's or Dark Souls, you are bad and you should feel bad.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I was thinking about this thread last night while skilling in FFXI and I think the top reason for rage in general while playing a game is technical. For me and ffxi that's what bothers me the most. I'm not sure if it's my Comcast internet, which blows, or my pc, but I have random lag issues that get crazy bad at times. It's things like that which drive me nuts, like bashing your cure macro over and over and nothing happens while a mob is tearing you apart.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

You know what else pisses me off? When devs go from a game to its sequel (or prequel) and remove PERFECTLY FINE MECHANICS FOR NO GODDAMN REASON. Example: Halo: Reach. In Halo 3, if someone locks onto you while you're in a vehicle, you get a warning beeper. In Reach, for no explicable reason, they removed it... and then added a whole new set of weapons that lock on to vehicles. Oh and they also made vehicles ten times more vulnerable to non-ordnance weapons, just in case someone can't find the I-Win gun.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

They recently added a fuckton of extra "tips" to Civ5. Not so bad since you can turn them off... unless you had a long game going before the patch and decide to load it... HI 70 NO SHIT TIPS ALL AT ONCE

Voiced tutorials, tips, error messages, and common messages that you hear hundreds of times can grow extremely annoying compared to text.

Oh, voiced encyclopedia entries, too. Can read a hell of a lot faster than I can listen...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I got worked up screwing around on DC Universe lately. Made a character on PvP server. Doing level 5-6 missions, and a team of assholes at level cap (30) are running around killing people in the area. If I get attacked by someone near my level, thats cool and part of why I tried the PvP setting. Adds a little excitement to the game. But getting attacked by somebody who I have no chance against sucks the fun right out of the game.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Pre-MMO rage was pretty much most boss fights, shitty controls getting me killed, game freezes, etc. Then I abandoned consoles for MMOs for a while.

MMO rage in XI: R0, waiting hours for pops, wipes, etc. Pretty much the same for all MMOs, really.

When I went back to console games, motion controls. Metroid Other M, that is all...

and the traveler
    BG Level

kaillera.

Celeste

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I was thinking about this thread last night while skilling in FFXI and I think the top reason for rage in general while playing a game is technical. For me and ffxi that's what bothers me the most. I'm not sure if it's my Comcast internet, which blows, or my pc, but I have random lag issues that get crazy bad at times. It's things like that which drive me nuts, like bashing your cure macro over and over and nothing happens while a mob is tearing you apart.
    Hey, at least your connection doesn't stutter out and some GM claims you were warp hacking, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5