1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 21 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 38 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 14 hours, 21 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -5 hours, -22 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 51 of 190 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

When you say "failed", are you referring to the individual actions, or the entire synth? If you're frequently blowing up a synth, then it's of no fault but your own. If you're just failing actions, yeah that happens.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If you don't have it already, level BSM to 10 and get Maker's Muse; should take an hour tops. It's 3 guaranteed standards that will almost always net me a minimum of 24%. Combine that with Piece by Piece and you're at 54%. Sure and Steady should give you another 15~20% which should put you between 69~74%. You should be able to finish from there without a problem. You could also stack Sure and Steady with Great Strides to add another boost. If you're just looking for completion that should help get you along the path.

That's using just ARM abilities and BSM's level 10. If you have other guaranteed synth abilities from other crafts you can add those in for your last slot, although I always keep Brand of [Element] to get rid of instability.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

the individual actions are what fail. i dont really have any problem completing a synth, but using that many abilities to push you up to 75%, i cant imagine leaving you with enough carefuls to make the quality high enough to make the synth worth it.

my abilities for synths higher than my level have been like.. makers muse, the +30 durability one, -100% durability loss, +125% quality and +50% x3 quality. i usually hit about +250%xp or so depending on the level gap. in my experience, an easy synth -1- +2 levels reaching 300+ quality is better than a 5 level gap where you bearly hit 100

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

If you know you're going to fail a lot, you're better off with "ensures success" or "ensures great success" abilities. You'll easily get more quality from a success then you would from a +% quality failure.

I would strongly suggest a guaranteed great-success ability (or two) if you have them available, if not the standard success abilities should suffice (Masterpiece, etc.). Perfection and/or Culmination are great when using during Byregot's (or to a lesser extent, any other +quality 3-turn ability). Anytime you can stack the effects of a 1-turn alongside that of a 3-turn ability usually turns up great results.

You can guarantee 300+ quality with almost any synth with Byregot's, Perfection, and Culmination. I would just suggest playing around with what actions you have available to you and seeing what works best for you. Don't forget that Brands (of the correct element) can also net you 100 quality (20 if wrong element).

Ingenuity also sounds like a great oft-overlooked ability to use for those way-over-your-level recipes. I don't have BSM to 30 yet, however, so I cannot comment on its efficacy.

Geez, I edit my posts a lot after actually posting them.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

really.. thats pretty cool, speaking of that though, what purpose do the elements have? and what determines which one pops up

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Aozora View Post
    what purpose do the elements have? and what determines which one pops up
    A synth can only go unstable with an element of a crystal that the synth uses. Uh, that didn't come out clearly, so here's an example. My synth uses Earth Shard x5, Wind Shard x5 -- only Earth + Wind instabilities can occur. My synth uses Water Shard x7 -- only Water instabilities can occur.

If Churchill was trying to say something else about elements other than that, I would love to know what he was referring to.

Also, I edited my previous post a bunch with extra random stuff.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

thanks, i'll keep that in mind

im trying to think of my next step. since there probably isnt much money to be made selling gear with arm, i was considering using it alongside carpenter or bsm to SB on war or drg and try for lightning IV materia, among others... worth it?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ehh, personall I think ARM is pretty good money, if you do the mid-level gears.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

If you are in the top 3 on the provision list does the hamlet need to be a lvl2 hamlet to obtain a seal after the run or not?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

when does int cap for blm?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Arximiro View Post
    If you are in the top 3 on the provision list does the hamlet need to be a lvl2 hamlet to obtain a seal after the run or not?
    don't think so, but the chance is diminished i think (so it's no longer like 100/50/25)
    when does int cap for blm?
    i'm not aware of any cap

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    don't think so, but the chance is diminished i think (so it's no longer like 100/50/25)

i'm not aware of any cap
    so only melee are bound by that 350 str cap etc?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Spells seem to be in their own system, outside of auto attacks and weaponskills. That doesn't mean there isn't diminishing returns though.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

How do you fix the annoying glitch where someone dismounts their chocobo but hang in the air as if they were mounted? Because then they stay in position on my screen forever and never move, even if the actual character is moving and I can't cure them and fuck fuck fuck fuck

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

so only melee are bound by that 350 str cap etc?
    Yes, but let me note one thing. The 350 primary stat cap is based off of Ifrit weapons, that cap changes depending on what weapon you are using. So for example, a Garuda weapon would probably be closer to 360, and a relic closer to 375.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Denmark Holland
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Melee also have two DMG stats where mage only has one.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

why is that? sorry for all of the questions, just trying to get my comfort with stat choices as good as in xi. not that it matters since this system is getting the boot anyways,

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

why is that? sorry for all of the questions, just trying to get my comfort with stat choices as good as in xi. not that it matters since this system is getting the boot anyways,
    Well technically, every class/job has two stats that buff their AA/WS, mages included, but who cares how hard you hit when you swing on BLM/WHM.

So instead you gear towards magic damage, and the stat that boosts magic damage is INT. Which is what he means by mages only have one DMG stat.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    How do you fix the annoying glitch where someone dismounts their chocobo but hang in the air as if they were mounted? Because then they stay in position on my screen forever and never move, even if the actual character is moving and I can't cure them and fuck fuck fuck fuck
    A few options:

1) Move so far out of range of them so that they unload from your screen.

2) Log out / log in.

3) Cross a zone line (soft or hard zone works).

This is soooooooo annoying when it happens to your tank in the middle of an exp party.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    Well technically, every class/job has two stats that buff their AA/WS, mages included, but who cares how hard you hit when you swing on BLM/WHM.

So instead you gear towards magic damage, and the stat that boosts magic damage is INT. Which is what he means by mages only have one DMG stat.
    errr sorry, i meant why does the maximum effectiveness of a stat adjust with the weapon?