Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    No more or less than North Americans.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Still couldn't be bothered to toss some bi/tri-linear filtering? Looks like doodoo.
    Was wondering if it was just me or the video, but yea it looks kinda shitty. That's what you get when going from a tiny wristwatch screen to one you don't have to squint at.

I'm annoyed in general they release stuff like this for DS rather than the PSP in the first place, no one uses the fucking touch screen and 1 good quality big screen is better than 2 small shitty ones.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I bought it for the DS and still haven't beaten it. I really disliked how you had to level THF to a really high level to steal from Odin!

No buyable Phoenix Downs is also an incredibly awful mechanic, one of the worst in the series.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    No buyable Phoenix Downs is also an incredibly awful mechanic, one of the worst in the series.
    Stock up on potions and play it safe until you get raise on WHM. The game isn't hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    I bought it for the DS and still haven't beaten it. I really disliked how you had to level THF to a really high level to steal from Odin!
    Thanks for reminding me that I still need to do that also...., been doing the 4x Black Belts just so my characters all hit 9999 HP, and it was taking forever to the point of me putting the game down and not having touched it for over three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Stock up on potions and play it safe until you get raise on WHM. The game isn't hard.
    It's not about being "hard". No FF is hard, period. It's about being forced to use white mage (read: giving up 25% of your damage potential even for random encounters) that makes it awful.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

So wait... your problem with the game is that they don't let you do everything all at once? Eh.

No, the problem is specifically what I said. Limitedly available phoenix downs and reliance on white mage (and later Devout/Sage) for most of the game.

Just pick any FF and make phoenix downs non-buyable and raise restricted to a single class/character for 90% of the game. Would the game feel less fun that way? Hell yes it would.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Nevex is right.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    No, the problem is specifically what I said. Limitedly available phoenix downs and reliance on white mage (and later Devout/Sage) for most of the game.

Just pick any FF and make phoenix downs non-buyable and raise restricted to a single class/character for 90% of the game. Would the game feel less fun that way? Hell yes it would.
    You can easily steal Phoenix Downs quite early in the game.
    Either way the game will have an English text option in the Japanese version so yay!

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I nearly shit myself seeing this topic thinking the Famicom version was finally getting some much deserved love only to find out it's the crappy DS port.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    I nearly shit myself seeing this topic thinking the Famicom version was finally getting some much deserved love only to find out it's the crappy DS port.
    this thought ran thru my mind as well.

crappy port. crappy changed game mechanics. no polish at all

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Since II and III are the only FF games I haven't played, which are the best ports of both? Is there even a straight port of the Famicom version for III? Even the PS era ones that load slow hell are fine, but I'd like to play the originals .

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

For FF2: The GBA ports are personally my more likable one. The PSX version suffered the same horrendous lag and loading times as the Chrono Trigger port...it was just bad and nearly unplayable imho.

For FF3: The only NA release of the title came in the form of the DS remake (and then iOS and Andriod), though I'm sure fan translations in a ROM format exist somewhere of the original NES version. The DS version, outside of dabbling with an untranslated ROM way way back in the day has been my only experience with the title. It is a good title, both for its initial use of the Job System and seeing a "bookend" of sorts to how far the series had come from 1 and 2 into how the series evolves in 4,5, and 6.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    For FF2: The GBA ports are personally my more likable one. The PSX version suffered the same horrendous lag and loading times as the Chrono Trigger port...it was just bad and nearly unplayable imho.
    What? I never had any lag issues with FF Origins.

And yes, there are NES translations of FF3 out there.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I never had lag with any of the PS ports, but the load times, ESPECIALLY the menu load time, was awful. It bothered me less the longer I played since I just got used to it, but swapping between the Wii version and the PSN port of VI has drove me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    this thought ran thru my mind as well.

crappy port. crappy changed game mechanics. no polish at all
    The (very) few changes to the game mechanics in the DS port were universally for the better...

There were jobs other than NIN and Sage, for example.

They should have improved on it more for sure, but none of the changes were a step backward.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The best version of FFII is the PSP version. I think it's also available iOS and Android but I'm not sure.
    For FFIII it's the remake for sure. The DS version has a crappy Mognet system to unlock Onion Knight and the extra boss so I'd say either iOS/Android or wait for the PSP version. For the super nostalgic ones the PSP version also has the original tracks.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    The (very) few changes to the game mechanics in the DS port were universally for the better...

There were jobs other than NIN and Sage, for example.

They should have improved on it more for sure, but none of the changes were a step backward.
    For real.. I played the NES version a long time ago (before playing DS version) and certain jobs were either bad or just outright useless (looking at your THF/DRG/BRD). DS version made them a lot better.