Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bella Donna
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Advice on cross country travel via scooter?

I'm not sure if it's a ridiculous thought or not, but I was thinking of traveling to a couple other states to see some friends via scooter. So you know, it's a better and faster scooter than most. A 2013 Genuine Blur SS 220i. http://www.maxeys.com/new_vehicle_de...ModelYear=2013 It's got awesome gas mileage so that would be wonderful in regards to gas costs. I figured I'd ride as long as I could and if needed stay at a cheap hotel or a friends if possible while I go from state to state. Start out in Oklahoma, go to Texas, then up to Colorado and then Cali and back. I would travel light, obviously. Carry mace, a pocket knife, and whatever else I could possibly need in a tight situation like a little spare tire or whatever could be useful.

Anyway.. I've done something similar once before in a car, which is much easier I'm sure. But I thought if I took it easy and just enjoyed the journey without rushing it than going by scooter could even be fun.

I wanna know if this is a silly idea or not and if it's even possible. I don't have a lot of experience with scooters, and that's honestly my biggest concern out of everything. I'm not sure if it could handle that much use over that kind've distance and time like a car could. Even if it's brand new.

So I'd like some thoughts on the matter and any forms of advice in general on it.

Trolls will be killed slowly and painfully. So please spare me any bullshit.

And yeah, I'm a girl planning on doing this alone. But I'm a smart and bold girl, so I know I can handle doing this by myself so long as I'm prepared.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The website you posted
    You will be the envy of all scooterists
    That certainly is a thing.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bella Donna
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Yes. > Fast is fun. And honestly I despise the idea of being passed constantly by cars that think I'm going too slow. This scooter doesn't have that problem.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I recommend watching the Top Gear Vietnam special before embarking on this journey.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

I don't know if I could ever tour that far on a little scooter like that. Even on a 500cc motorcycle I had a bit of rough time just going the next time over on windy days. One big gust that you aren't ready for and you can be eating dirt.

Other than that, why not? Touring on any kind of riding vehicle is fun as hell.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bella Donna
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Slapper View Post
    I recommend watching the Top Gear Vietnam special before embarking on this journey.

Why?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bella Donna
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by bluefan View Post
    I don't know if I could ever tour that far on a little scooter like that. Even on a 500cc motorcycle I had a bit of rough time just going the next time over on windy days. One big gust that you aren't ready for and you can be eating dirt.

Other than that, why not? Touring on any kind of riding vehicle is fun as hell.
    I like the idea of the challenge. But yeah, I could see how wind could be a fear factor. Oklahoma can get pretty windy, actually.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Being air cooled and not water cooled, that scooter probably isn't going to like such a long trip. Maybe an hour or two at a time, you don't want the engine to overheat.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSlurpee View Post
    Why?
    Because they rode across Vietnam on scooters (sort of), and it's highly entertaining.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I'd be terrified about driving next to semis on something that light. I imagine if you're going from Oklahoma to Texas you'll be on 35 (or 40?). There's a lot of semi traffic since 35 runs from Texas to Minnesota. That website says the max speed is 75 mph, so you're gonna be getting passed a lot. I've also driven from Texas up to Denver, and on parts of 87 the speed limit is 80. I have no experience with scooters, but can they withstand getting passed by a Semi going 80+? Also, I've driven on 35 a lot, and I don't think I've actually ever seen a scooter on it -- not outside a major city at least..

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Slapper View Post
    I came in to post this. Just watched this today too. Make sure you carry a giant ship model on the back.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Seems like it would be dangerous as hell.

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

How about a honda silverwing?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Swing by Connecticut.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    Seems like it would be dangerous as hell.
    This in a nut shell. Scooter can break down and if you're traveling alone this can be hella dangerous. Unless you know a lot fixing scooters, carry a gun and large supply of food i'd consider taking a car. This way, if something were to happen you can atleast sleep in the car.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by AidenCarby View Post
    Swing by Connecticut.
    why the hell would anyone wanna come here?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Idk man it's not that bad, I came back home after spending a year and a half in Cali, no place like home whether or not this place is a dump.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'd be a bit leery of a scooter in the mountains... not just going up but brakes on the way down would be a concern.