Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Can Free-to-Play Model Work For FFXI? If So How?

=The State of Free-to-Play=
    Recently the free-to-play (FTP) trend has spread to a lot of existing and upcoming MMO's. From newish games like Aion, to older games like Cities of Heroes, as well as upcoming games like Guild Wars 2, and Age of Empires Online that now rewards you the full game by paying or earned while playing.

And so it's natural to start questioning whether FFXI would make such a transition. Some expected that a free-to-play announcement would be made at Vanafest. But I think it's still too early for that considering the state of FFXIV. Perhaps one day if FFXIV can become a stable MMO with a reliable income, Square may look into adapting a FTP model for FFXI.

Competition tends to drive prices down, and there aint much more of a down then free. FFXI is continuing to age in a shrinking category of paid subscription MMO's. In that environment it becomes harder to compete while trying to offer a valuable product that is many times as expensive.

Veterans who have grown old with their MMO of choice (WoW included) may not mind continuing to pay, but for newcomers the age of the game is a turnoff and the monthly price is an instant dealbreaker. If FFXI were to go FTP eventually however I'm sure there are a lot of Final Fantasy fans who would gladly give the shot. It's probably the only way FFXI could ever again have a significant influx of new players. (Yes, yes, grumpy veterans. I'm sure you hate that idea because you think everyone is a FF7 fanboy and a WoWtard).

=How Could it Work?=
    So then given the increasing age of FFXI, and the unpopularity of paid subscriptions I'm curious what players think about it. Would you be willing to play FFXI if it were free-to-play? And if so, then what kind of free-to-play model would you like to see ideally?

Granted, we do not know the pricetags and various expenses to run FFXI and create new content. Speculation about such things is mostly pointless. The "how" here isn't so much about practical income as it is about "what kind of FTP model would veteran FFXI players be able to embrace"?

One of the biggest issues players tend to have with FTP gaming is the tendency for "pay to win" results. For example if you can legitimately buy gaming money directly from the MMO for real money, then naturally the best players probably will just have lots of real money to blow and may, or may not, be any good at the game. Or another example would be directly buying weapons or gear with real money.

Some games have introduced FTP models that do their best to avoid "pay to win" by only offering payments for things that don't directly effect skill or getting an advantage in the game. For example superficial cosmetic skins that have no purpose but to look good.

So what do you think? Also I'd like to hear from players who don't currently play, but who would if it were free-to-play.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I just honestly feel XI is too archaic and set in old times to the point where you can't F2P it, unless you want to do something akin to EQ1 where 'F2P' users are stuck with just the core classes, can't manage LS, and etc, which basically brings the game down to a glorified demo but with free access to the majority of the content.

Stuff other games employ like XP boosters and shit wouldn't work here courtesy of Abyssea, unless they want to fuck that over after all this year. You can probably 'brute force' it by allowing you to overcome cockblocks using real money, like buying 100 voiddust for $10, or means of doing Dynamis/Einherjar/Salvage/etc multiple times a day, but I doubt that'd go well with the veterans.

I'm surprised though that there isn't a proper cash shop already for novelty shit, like the fanfest gear, or stuff you'd get via gold world pass or one-off yearly events.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

The first problem you would have when it comes to any FTP model applying to FFXI would be RMT. Assuming that the initial purchase of the main game itself would still be a cost, but the lack of monthly fee makes it vastly more profitable for RMT to swarm the game.

I'm not sure of any great solution to this. You're never going to get rid of RMT 100%, if you do then you're game is already dead. But the best way to minimize and marginalize their intrusion is still just hard work. Maybe the only way is continued monitoring and banning.

In regards to a FTP model, here are some ideas I could live with for FFXI to take in some money:

1. Charging for standard account changes: Square more or less already does this, charging for something like a server transfer. Server transfers not only make them money, but it's a good disincentive for a player to transfer constantly. Perhaps other account fees could be created, such as changing your character's race, or their size type, or facial model. The tricky thing is that there has to be some way to identify a character throughout it's "life". Because of that, paid name changes would not work because there's potential for a player to change their name and make off with other players in-game money or items.

2. Charging for characters over the first: FFXI is a unique MMO because it allows you to be able to switch to every class on a single character. And there aren't multiple factions either. Multiple characters are more like a bonus, but you don't have to have them to experience the game. FFXI's paid model already accounts for this, and players would have even less problem paying for mules if the basic account were free. The amount of characters per account would likely increase.

3. Paying for purely cosmetic game items: This is pretty standard FTP stuff. Things like the Tidal Talisman (just the skin for looks), or items that transform you into mobs like the event charms, or just neat looking skins for your chocobo, maybe a Moomba skin for your automaton, etc. There could be a lot of creative Mog House furnishings too. The one thing Square excels at is making cool looking stuff, so they would put it to good use.

4. Skipping requirements for certain character functions: For example perhaps some players would be willing to pay to skip the quest and fame requirements of the Gobbiebag upgrade quests to increase their mules inventory. Or perhaps to skip the quest and level requirements for advanced job unlocking. Or how about paying a one time fee to never have to spend imperial currency to maintain your MogLocker? These are things that wouldn't grant any special benefits most players will wind up getting eventually anyway.

5. Cellphone premium alerts/functionality: I think Square tried to look into this once but it was too complex or expensive. Also there may be Guildwork features that already do this for free. But perhaps they could find a way to let you chat, check AH, or buy on AH from your cellphone or PSP Vita.

refresh

Are far to many Veterans who will put up with 12.95 to have will go full FTP i think what needs to cut to 7.50 - 8.50 a month and then have square enix do mass advertisement campaigns when Adoulin or the 6th expansion come out.

The game needs a New players guide book just up to level 30 been tons of people who quit before even getting to jeuno or a subjob

Part of it has been we the players do not try to get new people to play when was the last time you used a gold world pass if ever.
    It be far easier to convince some one to join if the cost was lower and if there was more advertisement for FFXI.

cosmetic items market needed to been added years a go just know there people who pay for the ark angel weapons and Moogle Suit

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I don't see the game ever becoming F2P myself. Maybe cheaper someday, or possibly give a discount if you buy subscription time in advance (I'd love this feature tbh, shutupandtakemymoney.jpg etc).

What I don't understand is why they don't do the things that can make them even more money. In game items from SE store (basic novelty crap), paid race/appearance/name change (been debated to hell and back, but people WILL pay for it if made available), etc.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

In every mmo people tend to eventually ding into homogeneity eventually, so little cosmetic things that set their char apart from others are usually pretty cool and coveted.

Imagine if SE designed and sold in their online shop "hats" for female characters that allow them to change their hair design. Pony tail for models that have none, pig-tails, curls.... and so on so forth. And once you remove it, you revert back to your original model. I could see people buying it specifically for idling or before events start, because of how vain some people can be. Lots of ideas to be exploited, but I don't see them doing it sadly.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

there isn't any way without complete overhauls to the combat system that this game can ever be popular/mainstream in todays MMO market.

the combat just is not fun, there is no PVP at all.

it cannot be a f2p game, it doesn't have the staff/funding to set up shops for people that would be willing to pay for whatever they'd have in a cash shop.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Put all the new dropped items from NMs into treasure chests that you have to buy keys to open (fill with awesome hats to make it more like TF2). Dust off hands smugly.

SE's stubbornness and unwillingness to look at other MMO's from the beginning will forever be their asterisk on FFXI's entry. There are so many features/designs to FFXI that it does so well or gives an experience that I never felt in other MMO's. FFXI's accessibility really is it's biggest flaw and going F2P probably won't fix it, infact, I would also agree F2P would bury it by alienating their core subs.

Maybe if they threw a ton of resources into copying what other PC MMO's do, like: gratuitous hand-holding through quests, providing magical markers for NPCS/maps, an active help-guide for more hand-holding, etc. Even with the easier level grind, FFXI really makes you work for those quest-lines and Missions, which is a tragedy, I know alot of people may not have the time and/or patience to even get to experience the story.

FFXI can't offer much of a huge departure for anyone who has already played WoW, if all they experience on their first month is standard level grind with lengthy quests that won't hand you every piece of equipment you need along the way. Not alot of people will go through the extra effort to follow online guides to get through Missions/quests. So, FFXI's strongest suit, it's storytelling, would hardly get touched.

You have no idea how much I missed FFXI's writing/narrative while playing other MMO's, even FFXI's boring fetch-quests had more life in them than some game's major quests lol I rarely found myself wanting to mash the X-button while doing FFXI's quests, which is something I took for granted as my first MMO.

SE really missed their opportunity to grab the MMO share with FFXIV, but as they have demonstrated in the past: they have zero intent on listening to anyone but their own circle of friends(who obviously don't play/suck badly at other MMO's lol). /end rant

I'm not sure why they don't have a vanity shop either, FF fanboys would eat up any semi-cool nostalgia-related items, that's something that only FFXI can utilize that other MMO's (besides SWTOR) can't.

First I have to say I really don't believe SE would ever even consider it, though if reduced fees would increase subs then they should do it, but how would they possibly know without trying it and risking losing a lot of money for no reason?
    Second, as said already, the game is not built around any kind of system that could support F2P and I don't think anyone would want major upheavals to make it so.
    Third, I wouldn't want hundreds if not thousands of idiots coming into the game, not caring because they don't have to pay anything, there are enough idiots in the game already.

Not sure why people think FFXI is going to be reduced or F2P when there's still a good chunk of players paying for multiple accounts, and happy to do so.

FFXI is at best a 'cheap' form of entertainment, and fucking good value for money, when you consider the cost of a night out clubbing, going to the movies, or just a day out. While I'm not saying FFXI should replace any form of social activity - it shouldn't, its certainly great entertainment at a great price.

Plus, no offense intended to anyone, but I don't want masses of kids and trolls spamming the game on free accounts when I've spent $1000's on subscription fees over the past 9 years.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah, it will never happen, FTP and XI is just not possible.
    Ive given SE near $2000 in sub and expansions, and it really doesnt bother me. As Danzusu said, $2000 over a span of near 10 years seems like a good deal to me.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I probably would quit if it went free to play, those games are usually such trash and more of a money sink if you wanna play it hardcore than one that has a reoccurring fee. I wouldn't mind a vanity shop for FFXI though, I'd like to buy a moogle suit and moogle shield lol

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I think it'd be quite doable, and is probably the only real shot the game has at doing much more than retaining current players.

How I would see it is less a matter of trying to monetize too many things directly, and look more at making a Standard/Premium style split. The primarily difficulty there is less finding things they could sell, and more finding things that still work as sellable items if a player goes back and forth between the two models.

For example, double/triple reentry times to events for the free version, make merits not take effect, only have FoV/GoV benefits apply once a game day, and so on. Someone who is actively playing the game would probably see plenty of value in paying the monthly fee.
    Additionally, things like Traverser Stones, Voidstones, and Assault tags could be pay items. Free version doesn't generate them, so you get a few when you unlock the events, but past that buy them. Paid version generates them over time, with the option to supplement that supply with the cash shop.

Could implement other speed bumps too. For instance, restrict how many Trial of the Magians items past a certain level can be turned in per week for the free version. Maybe the moogle will only do one piece of +2 gear per conquest tally unless you pay. Or won't do it at all for F2P, leaving them at +1.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I think the free+premium model could be an option too (let's pretend at a premium charge of less than monthly fees are now). If even a good portion, but not all, of the game were free, then it could probably bring in some new players who try it out and like it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Chamaan View Post
    Put all the new dropped items from NMs into treasure chests that you have to buy keys to open (fill with awesome hats to make it more like TF2). Dust off hands smugly.
    You forgot the next step, "watch in horror as 60-70% of your long-term players quit in disgust and lose whatever faith they had left in Square-Enix as a company."

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    I think it'd be quite doable, and is probably the only real shot the game has at doing much more than retaining current players.

How I would see it is less a matter of trying to monetize too many things directly, and look more at making a Standard/Premium style split. The primarily difficulty there is less finding things they could sell, and more finding things that still work as sellable items if a player goes back and forth between the two models.

For example, double/triple reentry times to events for the free version, make merits not take effect, only have FoV/GoV benefits apply once a game day, and so on. Someone who is actively playing the game would probably see plenty of value in paying the monthly fee.
    Additionally, things like Traverser Stones, Voidstones, and Assault tags could be pay items. Free version doesn't generate them, so you get a few when you unlock the events, but past that buy them. Paid version generates them over time, with the option to supplement that supply with the cash shop.

Could implement other speed bumps too. For instance, restrict how many Trial of the Magians items past a certain level can be turned in per week for the free version. Maybe the moogle will only do one piece of +2 gear per conquest tally unless you pay. Or won't do it at all for F2P, leaving them at +1.
    I wouldn't be too sure that pay-to-win would be the only model that would be a viable way to retain subs/bring old players back is this thread is any indication. Besides vanity items, changing the games billing system (the one that has made it the most profitable Final Fantasy title ever) to make people pay to do things that we could already do with our sub fee would simply alienate the people who have made this game successful for a decade or so. I honestly cannot imagine a scenario where pay-to-win would draw and retain enough people to be more profitable than $13 +$1 per mule for the existing and returning player base any time in the near future.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure that pay-to-win would be the only model that would be a viable way to retain subs/bring old players back is this thread is any indication.
    My thought would be more that if there were a "lite" subscription that was free, people that would otherwise have quit outright would remain semi-active. If you're only logging in once a week, then only being able to do Dynamis a couple times is irrelevant, for example.
    There'd also be the chance of capturing some of the folks who just don't like the idea of paying for a subscription and have yet to touch the game as result. As things stand now, getting a job up and soloing a lot of the story content is quite feasible, if not as streamlined as more modern games. Nothing I mentioned would really impact doing missions. The expansion will bring back a fraction of the people who quit. Free would bring in a ton of people who would never try the game otherwise (which could very well be a plague, of course).

The way I stated it, if someone was already paying for FFXI, and continued to, basically nothing would change except for the possibility of buying extra event entry KIs. There'd just also be the option to still be able to log into the game for free, albeit with limits.

It's also not that I'd especially promote that either, but more as a thought exercise on how F2P could work.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Something I just thought of that could be cool if it were financially feasible, some kind of "sponsor a newb" program where long time veteran players can somehow grant someone else a limited FTP trial for a limited time. Think of it like a beefed up revamped version of the old buddy pass days.

For example, for every combination of 12 months you have been a subscriber, you can get 1 "sponsor" code to give to a friend. E.g. if you had a combination of 3 years subscribing you get 3 codes. Being a sponsor lets you download the game and play for free up until level X. Or whatever limitations you might care to make the concept work. (Of course it would not include access to the new Adoulin expansion coming out). Something like that could be a way to reward veterans, allow risk free trials to new people, as well as limiting the potential for RMT abuse, since the players with years of good standing are likely legitimate non-RMT.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Cash shop where all the wyrms/dragons can be accessible flying mounts.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If SE were to go F2P with FFXI, the best means of testing it would be:

* Start releasing cosmetic items (e.g., special Chocobos, house furniture) or products for convenience (e.g., unusually powerful potions) that can be purchased, and consider how much revenue this brings in.
    * If the test is successful, release additional items over a reasonable amount of time (e.g., each two months or so apart).
    * Evaluate the income and determine whether a more serious F2P model or reduced monthly subscription models will be viable.

This can lead to things like reduced monthly fees, if not a total F2P environment, and it is not by any means impossible. It would not alienate veterans, as even the consumables would not be game-breaking, and it's proven, as virtually every successful F2P title works similarly. There is a difference between pay-to-play, pay-to-win, and conducting microtransactions for short-lived entertainment/convenience, and I would go into more detail, but I'm not being paid to write this.

As an aside, stop calling F2P "FTP." It makes you look stupid, especially since you're trying to have a serious discussion about the matter.