• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Windows 7 keeps randomly deciding I don't have admin access to folders

So Win7. It keeps randomly deciding after I move an entire directory that I shouldn't have access to it anymore. I error checked an external drive and it threw some docs I wanted to keep into found.00 folder. I opened them from the folder, verified they where the newer versions and just copied found.00 to the document folder so I'd know tomorrow where the newest version was.

Go to try and open it, "You must be logged in as administrator to access". Well fuck me. Cntrl+Z so it undoes said move, still can't open from the folder I literally had open a second ago, no access.

I'm not good with permissions access and such, this isn't the first time Win7 has locked me out of a directory after copying it from one folder to another. Any idea's on what to try?

The security tab is blank, when going to advance it says it cannot display the folder's owner.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

All on the external drive or did it also happen on an internal disk?
    I've had that once on a server that thought it had no access to any of the content of an external backup HDD, even trying to take ownership (security-tab -> advanced -> owner) failed.
    What helped was to un- and re-plug the disk...

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Today was on a backup drive. I have 2 folders that I copied over from my WinXP drive however that did the same thing.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

so taking over ownership doesn't work either?

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

there's no option to. it says everyone has read access but i can't even open the folder, or make any changes to the ownership tab because it says i don't have permissions.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If chkdsk is finding and putting stuff inside a found.000 folder, then your drive might be starting to fail. Does this occur with any other external drive? How old is the drive?

Are you using it in a place where you're switching between win7 and xp? I know I've had a few small issues with this when I was transferring files between an old laptop and a new one where I just plugged in the old drive through a usb drive bay. The users were passworded on both installs with different names, so some folders presented a similar problem when going from xp to 7. Is it possible for you to reformat the drive with 7 (after backing it up of course)? Folder permissions might be getting screwy or the original folders were part of your username's documents (the permissions for those might be a little different if the user is passworded).

Just some ideas. Could also try using 7zip to zip the folders with no/light compressions for speed and see if copying them and then unzipping them still presents a permission issue.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've found booting to an Ubuntu live CD and moving files will strip the permissions from them if Windows is giving you trouble. Linux ignores NTFS permissions, and removes them when you copy/move the files/folders.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    If chkdsk is finding and putting stuff inside a found.000 folder, then your drive might be starting to fail. Does this occur with any other external drive? How old is the drive?

Are you using it in a place where you're switching between win7 and xp? I know I've had a few small issues with this when I was transferring files between an old laptop and a new one where I just plugged in the old drive through a usb drive bay. The users were passworded on both installs with different names, so some folders presented a similar problem when going from xp to 7. Is it possible for you to reformat the drive with 7 (after backing it up of course)? Folder permissions might be getting screwy or the original folders were part of your username's documents (the permissions for those might be a little different if the user is passworded).

Just some ideas. Could also try using 7zip to zip the folders with no/light compressions for speed and see if copying them and then unzipping them still presents a permission issue.
    The drive I scanned was very old (oh god 10 years) and I know its not aging well. It just happened that this has happened before from a much newer drive to the newest OS drive. I'm about to start sorting/backing up all my files because it's been too long since I've done that and now I'm hesistant to do that.

Everything is on the same computer, the folder i took the screens' from is one that was copied from one internal HD to another.

I'll try the 7zip work around, and if not I'll try Linux (though god help me I have no idea what I'm doing with that OS)

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

An Ubuntu Live CD is simple to use. Add to Panel will let you add a disk mounter, then you open the hard drive you want, and just drag and drop where you want it to go. You don't have to get into command line at all, and the GUI is very similar to Windows.