Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

This movie was fantastic.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    she did two movies with Keanu Reeves, I'll be damned if I can remember the names, but she was one of two slightly nutty girls in one of them at least.
    Think he was referring to Luv (Sylvia Hoeks) who as far as I can look up has only done European films so far. Not Joi (Ana de Armas) who was in Knock and Exposed with Keanu

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Think he was referring to Luv (Sylvia Hoeks) who as far as I can look up has only done European films so far. Not Joi (Ana de Armas) who was in Knock and Exposed with Keanu
    oh ok, guess I got a little one tracked (she is pretty cute..)

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Gonna have the wife watch the first and try to go during a matinee to avoid people. Haven't been to the theatre in five years and am looking forward to this one.

Was hooked from the moment it began to the second it ended.

Wow

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Man, with all the hype in this thread and the fact that this is another in the trend of rehashing old ideas, I was so ready to be disappointed by this movie.

I was so wrong. This was such a treat. This director understands cyberpunk on a level I've never seen on the screen before.

The soundtrack still sounds like a Johan Johansson creation, aka, I love it

Also:

Cells interlinked within cells interlinked
    Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct
    Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Just got out. I have to say that my worst fears weren't realized, and I enjoyed watching it quite a lot. Very pleasantly surprised.

Spoiler: show
    That said, I still had a few hang-ups. I never really cared for the Deckard-is-a-Replicant" idea, and I'm disappointed that they doubled down on it here. I felt like it was unnecessary to the central idea of the original, and it could've changed the plot here for the better, in my probably terrible opinion. It could've been much more interesting if they'd kept the Deckard-and-Rachel tryst, baby and all, but with it having been something new. How much of it is human, and how much replicant? Missed opportunity IMPTO.

Also, the hallmark of Replicants in the original movie and the source story was their psychopathy, and that was totally absent in the Replicants this time around, even the older Series 8 ones. Rachel was an exception, maybe, and yeah this is a whole new version, but the only hint of it was in Love, who was presumably part of the new series. We were obviously meant to identify with K, and it seems like much of that is probably in service to that goal, but it was a noticeable absence.

All in all, wonderfully surprised by it and I'll probably try to see it again before it's out of theaters.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Greedouw View Post
    Also:

Cells interlinked within cells interlinked
    Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct
    Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.
    these are lines from Nabokov's (author of Lolita) Pale Fire btdubs as i know everyone was anxiously wondering. a novel containing a thousand line poem written by a fictional poet with extensive commentary on the fictional poem by a fictional editor. it's all very meta. guess one of the screenwriters is a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash Perez View Post

That said, I still had a few hang-ups. I never really cared for the Deckard-is-a-Replicant" idea, and I'm disappointed that they doubled down on it here. I felt like it was unnecessary to the central idea of the original, and it could've changed the plot here for the better, in my probably terrible opinion. It could've been much more interesting if they'd kept the Deckard-and-Rachel tryst, baby and all, but with it having been something new. How much of it is human, and how much replicant? Missed opportunity IMPTO.

unicorn fam. it's obviously ambiguous throughout (Scott's said the ending was rewritten multiple times with Deckard going both ways) but i think it p solid proof Gaff knew, and that was his way of suggesting the truth to Deckard.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post

unicorn fam. it's obviously ambiguous throughout (Scott's said the ending was rewritten multiple times with Deckard going both ways) but i think it p solid proof Gaff knew, and that was his way of suggesting the truth to Deckard.
    Yeah, in Final Cut it wasn't even all that ambiguous. In Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, it was perhaps hinted at but ultimately seemed to be dismissed. I'm lamenting the deviation, as I think the message becomes more dilute if Decard is himself a Replicant.

I'm sure his surname was no accident. Biblical Cain killed his brother for his own profit, which seems to initially promote the idea of Deckard being a Replicant, but it could also be interpreted to show the link between Humans and Replicants, the latter being so genetically similar to the former as to require a psychological interview to differentiate rather than a blood/DNA test. Sure, DNA tests weren't a thing when Dick wrote the original story, but nonetheless it would indicate a close genetic relationship between the two. Homo sapiens sapiens and Homo sapiens replicatus? The exploitation of humanity's 'brother' for it's own gain, up to and including murder.

Anyway, yeah, Final Cut makes it pretty apparent what the Director's opinion was, and that is the basis of this movie. I just think it could've been better.

Still totally worth watching, would watch again, etc.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Dude Deckard Cain is from Diablo.

Richard Deckard is from Blade Runner.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post

Oh my fucking god, hahahaha.

WELL THEN NEVERMIND

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

rofl

now i hear deckard cain's voice coming out of harrison ford's mouth and i am pleased

We built this city

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Imagining Deckard Cain administering a Voight-Kampff test is hilarious.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post

This may be the best BG post of 2017.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I was very excited as I typed it.

We built this city

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I was so excited to talk about this movie with my friends that I convinced them to watch it last night despite my having just seen it Tuesday. I wouldn't really say there was anything I picked up on in the second watch that I didn't the first time, but it didn't matter because it was still just as good the second time around.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Memory Lab VR game for Rift & GearVR - October 26th

Gameplay

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It was really enjoyable. It does leave you with a pit in your stomach, emotionally. I saw the 3D version. Visuals were great, but the sound was very overbearing.