BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sweet... Thanks for the help.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

New rules for OP: either use the Random Question Thread for your next question, or this thread. Do not make multiple "hey guys im trying to do a thing halp" threads, and start using the shift key and proper punctuation.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Sorry for the necro, but I'm in the same situation.

I can't get vanilla ffxi to run, same directx 3d problem.

Specs (if it matters):

Operating System -- Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit
    CPU -- Intel Celeron N2840 @ 2.16GHz 41 °C
    Bay Trail-M 22nm Technology
    RAM -- 4.00GB DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard -- Acer Aspire ES1-512 (CPU 1) 44 °C
    Graphics -- Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
    Storage -- 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000LPVX-22V0TT0 (SATA) 37 °C

So it's a shitty $300 PC that runs it fine with windower, but won't launch vanilla. I've tried with launching as admin, same problem. I know it's probably a driver issue, but after reading this thread and trying to research/find/install what I need, I realized I don't know what I'm doing, and I need help.

Thanks.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

First off, have you installed Directplay (Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> Legacy Components)? (or pictures here).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I also can't get vanilla ffxi to run on my computer. Windower was my fix. The base version of windower has no plugins or addons installed and is essentially a functioning version of vanilla ffxi. I promise you won't get banned for windower with no plugins running.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

It's not that; I'm trying to do add-on missions, lol

edit: directplay was already enabled

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It's interesting, I also have this problem but I never cared about it because I always run through Windower, one time, probably after an update I couldn't run the game with Windower enabled and tried to run the game Vanilla and discovered the direct3d error. Then I suppose windower plugins/addons were fixed and I stopped caring again but it still exists, I just ignore it.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Now it crashes even with windower, right after I hit the 'play' button. Ugh.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Yeah consider turning to ashita, worked for me

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

So I'm gonna try this again.

I 'upgraded' to Win10 a while back, and tried to get FFXI to work again, and I did, but only vanilla. The problem was my copy of FF is old, and after reinstall would revert back to a hilarious 640x480 resolution, and would crash on launch every time.

I have since stopped reinstalling and just been checking the resolution periodically, or if I have a crash. This has been working fine -- but only for vanilla. When I try to launch through Windower, I get the same crash (right after the play button is pressed, brings up the 'don't ruin your life' screen, then crash). When this happens I don't get a direct 3d message like I used to when vanilla would crash, but it happens in exactly the same spot.

I tried again the other day, hoping something would work, and again, crash, same spot (w/Windower). However, I noticed when I went back to vanilla, got another crash in the same spot. For whatever reason, Windower had attempted to launch at the old resolution, and of course caused a crash.

Any idea how I should approach fixing this? Hoping there's a simple fix, likely something I overlooked. Windower launch used to work fine before (although I did have Win8), but then I started having this problem.

Thanks.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Did you install from the free download @ playonline.com? are you using windower 4? Ive personally never seen or heard of windower trying to revert to a different resolution than one i selected. and if the game is open when you maually change resolutions on your pc it will always crash (not sure if that is what you are refering to).