Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zane Farus
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Came back with a few friends and have been having fun and we just got to 75 but I have a few questions.

We need a tank for our group at 99, but was curious how RUN was at 99, or how much I needed to invest to make it on par with PLD. I saw they used different armor types (tried buying that low level chainmail and found out that RUN couldn't equip). Is RUN decent for someone starting over again or should I just stick with PLD?

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Thanks Tenkiki, much appreciated.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Dude, just started playing again after like four years and I'm loving all the high level gear on the AH that's dirt cheap that completely trumps the stuff I'm wearing. lol

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Theres high level stuff off the NPCs too (sparks gear), much easier to catch up.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Whats a good populated server to start from scratch on?

i think asura is pretty much the NA headquarters right now IIRC

Relic Shield
    BG Level

You can also do the basic intermediate ect Records of Eminence to get some kupons for better than sparks gear.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Okay, I updated and logged in. I have a bunch of trusts from logging in during earlier campaigns. I think the best thing for me to do is get on with the SoA missions (I was halfway through ch 2) and Rhapsodies. I had a look at the basic sparks gear and it doesn't seem great for WHM (aside from the head/feet refresh set). Is it just the case that ilevel gear just trumps anything else now?

I had good gear for several jobs 99 when I left but I don't have much ilevel gear. I'm thinking I'll gear up WHM, THF and then SCH or BLM.

Can I really solo fights etc as a WHM with trusts? Should I be meleeing everything?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It would make things faster if you can melee, since trusts aren't exactly meant to replace actual damage. THF is a good choice from your list and you can solo your way through most of rhapsody if you keep up with ilvl. Same with seekers missions if you can get 119, since those missions were already meant for ilvl Lv99 characters. Depending on how much you want to gear for melee, WHM is ok as well.

Simply put, you need to count on yourself for damage output, not your trusts (unless you want things to take ages to die).

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Thanks Rehn, that's exactly what I needed to know. Suits me too because it's much easier to use the sparks gear to gear up my thf. So I'll use thf to get through fights etc for now and then work on gearing up whm etc when I have access to more options. I did have some decent WHM melee gear and skills open to me but THF will be quicker.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zane Farus
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Question, I came back and the login campaign is new to me. I have 2000 points and already bought the bomb mount. My group of friends and i aren't 99 yet but was curious what should I be buying with my login points? I assume they don't carry over to next month right? I got bomb mount and that is about it with points.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by samalis View Post
    Question, I came back and the login campaign is new to me. I have 2000 points and already bought the bomb mount. My group of friends and i aren't 99 yet but was curious what should I be buying with my login points? I assume they don't carry over to next month right? I got bomb mount and that is about it with points.
    actually 1500 points carry over to the next campaign

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If you don't have a d.ring, then savories are still valuable. Honestly the past few campaigns have been mostly worthless aside from the 1500 category (shank mainly), so here's hoping they have better items next month.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zane Farus
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Rehn View Post
    If you don't have a d.ring, then savories are still valuable. Honestly the past few campaigns have been mostly worthless aside from the 1500 category (shank mainly), so here's hoping they have better items next month.
    Nope no d.ring on this character, we all started from scratch for fun (and some of them lost their accounts so had to make new one). Might get a shank then and wait until next month. I am still only 90 anyways.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
    You can also do the basic intermediate ect Records of Eminence to get some kupons for better than sparks gear.
    I'll have to look into that. I've just been kinda putzing around, getting a feel for the game again. I'm like halfway through chapter 2 of the Rhapsody stuff, went around and collected a bunch of trusts. I sparked up my THF and went to Adoulin to see what kind of damage I could, managed to hit chain 25 pretty easy, did a 11k Shark Bite which was neat. Also, I finally killed the Valkurm Emperor, 1/1 on hairpin.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

What's the deal with the Cipher IIs for the trusts? What's the difference?

Usually some variation of AI, skill set, etc..

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I thought the II ciphers were to show that the trust came from the RoV storyline and not the original. I could be wrong though...

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Off the top of my head, Shantotto and Mumor are the only ones whose "II" aren't from RoV. Most have some AI tweaking and/or use different abilities but I believe Mumor is totally different.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Is there some secret to the cloud of darkness fight? Thing keeps curbstomping me and it's pissing me off to no end. 119 bst, even went in 119 pld and it's wiping the floor with me and any combo of trusts I can bring in. I keep reading amchuchu is helpful but I don't have access to that one, so...