Season of the Siccness
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sicc Ward
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I left the game a couple of times after whichever update killed REMs, came back when they weren't dead but had to dip because life happens. I'm in a place where I could probably log a few hours every couple days.

Left with a 119 Koga and 119 Yoichi, SAM and RNG main with a pocket WHM and MNK, tri-box was intense fun for solo. idk what the iLvl is now. I don't mind putting in the work to catch up, that's pmuch the point of the game.

All of that been said, my question is: Has the constant gear upgrades calmed down to the point I where I could chase the carrot at my own pace?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Siccmade View Post
    All of that been said, my question is: Has the constant gear upgrades calmed down to the point I where I could chase the carrot at my own pace?
    I think that'd depend more on what you're personally happy with than anything else.

The highest ilevel yet in the game is still i119, but later additions tend to be far stronger. They added Afterglow 119 REMs for instance, to catch them back up.

Job Points are also a significant factor, since gifts effectively raise your level. More or less, there's a pretty large gap between a fresh 99 in Delve gear or something, and a 2100JP character in well augmented Reisenjima gear, even if both are "i119".

Quite a lot of content is within scope of solo/multiboxing with trusts, particularly as you get better geared (and especially with tri-box, as there are some things that require three characters to enter). If you simply have to have the absolute best of the best, then I think at least some of that is going to come from content that's not as accessible. Otherwise, I think there are probably more viable options than ever, with the potential to provide a progression of realistic goals for a while.

Season of the Siccness
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sicc Ward
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Right on, that sounds promising. Thank you for the feedback.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Hey everyone. My brother picked up the game again for the nostalgias. I'm kind of his go-to person to ask for advice because he hasn't played for even longer than me. I'm wondering what the current situation is with tweaking FFXI's graphics? Last I played Windower did this but are the best graphic tweaks still done through Windower or what? Thanks.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No changes here I believe

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Thanks.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Thinking about making a return...

I played this game when I first came out for about 8 months and then quit for about a couple years and came back and it took some getting used to but I had a lot of fun playing for the six months that I did when I came back but about 3 years ago I attempted to come back yet again and everything was so chaotic that I just couldnt get into it. My question is how are players able to level up these days? The last time I was active I would group up with people in the gusgen mines fighting skeletons to level up new jobs I unlocked, but when I had came back it was completely empty and I couldn't even believe it. It did seem that people were using NPCs to fight alongside them to gain experience. I was just wondering if people group up again for those lower levels or are they still relying leveling up on their own?

Quote Originally Posted by tgilbert03 View Post
    I played this game when I first came out for about 8 months and then quit for about a couple years and came back and it took some getting used to but I had a lot of fun playing for the six months that I did when I came back but about 3 years ago I attempted to come back yet again and everything was so chaotic that I just couldnt get into it. My question is how are players able to level up these days? The last time I was active I would group up with people in the gusgen mines fighting skeletons to level up new jobs I unlocked, but when I had came back it was completely empty and I couldn't even believe it. It did seem that people were using NPCs to fight alongside them to gain experience. I was just wondering if people group up again for those lower levels or are they still relying leveling up on their own?
    I just recently started playing again a few months ago so it's still pretty fresh to me. In my experience, it's best (other than PL) to level up solo with Trusts (those NPCs you saw). Because Trusts don't gain exp, you get huge amounts per kill. Like, 1k+ for Tough enemies, so leveling goes pretty quick. I never really saw any groups in the popular leveling areas.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Thanks for the reply. I never got the hang of using the Trusts last time, but maybe ill give it another go.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Yeah, pretty much people just XP with Trusts unless leeching (which is uncommon now outside of multibox or friends). Base XP has been increased a bit, and there are also XP bonuses from RoV Key Items. Then, as mentioned, Trusts don't impact XP, so you end up getting more for the mob/con than you would have in a party.

They're also (now) usable in most content you might want them in, for help with quests and missions and so on.

In contrast to the Abyssea trend of hitting 30 and heading there to open crates or AFK, these days you really get an approximation of the old-school leveling experience. Just, much faster, and much more convenient.

Part of the tutorial Records of Eminence objectives will provide you with a variety of party role Trusts, and there are others available anytime. A good bit more of them are locked behind missions or just occasionally made available.

Early gearing is bolstered by items available for Sparks of Eminence - you won't be decked to the gills, but that has basic weapons and armor available regardless of the AH as that's rarely well stocked on low level equipment.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Came back recently after not playing for ~3 years. Don't really have any concrete goals, but plan on staying casual (dualbox). Could anyone offer advice on what priorities should be, or at least point me to some resources I could read through on how the game has evolved in recent years?

Some questions that come to mind:
    1. What "unlocks" should I focus on (i.e. boosts, QoL improvements, etc.)? Rhapsodies missions & Job Points seem big - anything else?
    2. What jobs combos are good these days for dualbox? I'd typically MNK+Mage stuff years ago, but I assume a lot has changed.
    3. Are there any must-have Trusts that have no substitute?
    4. Would love an approximate gear progression list by content, ideally dualbox-friendly (currently using mix of Delve/Skirmish/AF+1/Relic+1 stuff mostly).

I've got a lot to read up on, but honestly don't even know where to start. Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
    Came back recently after not playing for ~3 years. Don't really have any concrete goals, but plan on staying casual (dualbox). Could anyone offer advice on what priorities should be, or at least point me to some resources I could read through on how the game has evolved in recent years?

Some questions that come to mind:
    1. What "unlocks" should I focus on (i.e. boosts, QoL improvements, etc.)? Rhapsodies missions & Job Points seem big - anything else?
    2. What jobs combos are good these days for dualbox? I'd typically MNK+Mage stuff years ago, but I assume a lot has changed.
    3. Are there any must-have Trusts that have no substitute?
    4. Would love an approximate gear progression list by content, ideally dualbox-friendly (currently using mix of Delve/Skirmish/AF+1/Relic+1 stuff mostly).

I've got a lot to read up on, but honestly don't even know where to start. Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!
    1. RoV, Job Points, and reforges. Have to beat CoP and Vagary for full reforge unlocks.
    2. MNK is the lolJOB now since H2H really hasn't kept up w/ other melees. I normally BST+BLM dbox for pet-SC+MB.
    3. Keep an eye out for Shantotto II since she is hands-down the best DD trust. UC is gonna be locked to either Yoran-Oran or Apururu due to the painful lack of other solid healers.
    4. Sounds like you might be able to handle Escha-Zi'tah/Escha-Ru'aun T1s depending on your jobs. Highly recommend you do what I do and SC+MB your way thru though since most NMs have significant AOE damage output. BST/SCH can both SC w/o engaging.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Thanks for the info. lolMNK, and BST pet-SC+MB... game has changed a lot. Guess I've got a lot to learn.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

MNK is getting an update in august so stay tuned.

Job Points are huge, esp for DPS jobs.

I only play one character but my go to trust are: ulmia, apu, koru, shanatto II, tenzen, zeid II, august, qultada, kupo

Get through rhapsodies ASAP. Start upgrading your AF,relic,emp armor to 119. Join a few Ambu groups (normal is fine for now but a full party is a must for gallantry points.). Join card farm parties in Omen and farm sparks and salvage for Gil.

The game is in a great place right now. BG wiki is your friend.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Really thinking about coming back to the game, however if i remember correctly my character is on quetz. Is this server still pretty active or is there a BG server so to speak where a lot of EU/NA are?
    I am happy to completely start over and bring a fresh prospectus to the game whilst bringing some Nostalgia but will it annoy me levelling up so fast that it is more of a hinderance for the limit break quests, CoP, ToAu missions etc?

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Hixxy View Post
    Really thinking about coming back to the game, however if i remember correctly my character is on quetz. Is this server still pretty active or is there a BG server so to speak where a lot of EU/NA are?
    I am happy to completely start over and bring a fresh prospectus to the game whilst bringing some Nostalgia but will it annoy me levelling up so fast that it is more of a hinderance for the limit break quests, CoP, ToAu missions etc?
    Quetz is pretty dead.

Asura is generally the go to recommendation.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Okay what gives? I got my first Ivory Talismen, then did all of the following and I still don't have my second one.

It Sets My Heart Aflutter
    Talk About Wrinkly Skin
    Did You Feel That?
    Hide and Go Peak
    It Never Goes Out of Style
    Water, Water, Everywhere
    Dirt Cheap
    Flower Power
    Breaking the Ice
    No Love Lost
    Lerene's Lament

What am I missing? All of them are done and she still won't give me the second one.