Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    They could come up with a whole lot more just with all the random challenges people have come up with in the past 15 years of obsessing over the game.
    SE has too much tunnel vision to think like that.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The problems came from SE having no clue how to make a PC game and the fact that the source code for the game was gone, all they had to work with was the compiled PS1 game.
    They also had some olde source that was incomplete and not the final version.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I typed up a lot of things. Then I deleted it all, and decided to go with the basics.

This is a money grab. Between the RMT they're building into it, and that it will probably be at -best- a slightly upgraded port of the 1998 PC release and at worst a straight port with nothing added, and the original translation in place.

They have to know the potential for a remaster of game. Someone compared it to the Remastering of Star Wars though and well.....maybe it's best we all remember it with Nostalgia instead of contempt.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I believe Wada* said something along the lines of "they'll remake VII when they've made another Final Fantasy that is better than it." Saw it crop on Destructoid and laughed. I mean I love VII, I love it a lot, but IX was such a perfect throwback to the older games that it stole my heart for the PS1 series. I'll have to see if I can find that article.

Here it is:
    http://www.destructoid.com/final-fan...d-230144.phtml

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I hope they mean more "financially successful" as opposed to "an actual better total Final Fantasy", because while they've already done the former recently (XI being the most profitable of all time), they're nowhere near approaching the latter if this XIII and XIII-2 bullshit is what they think cuts the mustard nowadays.

Limited technology of the day notwithstanding, those classic FF's like I, III, IV, VI, VII and IX were better, and SE's excuses of modern-day expenses of technology and being unable to make non-linear experiences and all that will ensure that we never have a better one than VII.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It somewhat perplexes me why they even feel the need to make excuses. A simple "we'll remake it if or when the time is ready" or "no we aren't doing it stop asking" and then they actually leave it at that would be enough. Every time they make another excuse as to why they can't do it, I feel like they're continually trying to backpedal out of a promise to remake it when (afaik) they've never made one to begin with.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I think the only thing they actually have said that got everyone's hopes up was after the FFVII intro sequence PS3 tech demo uproar, they were like "we didn't realize there was such a huge demand for a remake, we'll think about it!"

Definitely not a promise whatsoever... but it doesn't take much to get fanboys' expectations churning.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Wiki has a quote that says they don't want to remake it unless he can get the original team together.

So it's not getting remade until the original people are gone from the company.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Right, but as for what they said that they have to backpedal on, they only said they would consider it or play with the idea after the hype that the redone intro sequence created.

They have said a lot of different things since to try to back out of the corner they put themselves in by saying anything at all on top of that fucking tease of a tech demo.

A VII remake is their last resort rehash cash grab trump card for when they need to make serious bank with a minimal amount of effort. It's sort of like a long term investment, the longer they go without making it and the worse their new games are (XIII) the more and more potential value a VII remake accumulates.

It will be made when they deem it most profitable, and it will be awful.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It will only be awful for those who don't enjoy random battles and turn based combat (or the game in general). Assuming you like both of those things, bugs and graphical errors aside, it will be just as good as it was back then as it is now. All of the great Final Fantasies are still great if you enjoy the RPGs of that era that were grindfests with tons of random battles (Deep Sea Research Center being a pinnacle of both of them, which even that wore me down). If you dislike them, well then yeah it's going to be bad. Outside of doing a hack job on it though, it should be just what everyone expects: FF7 in STUNNING HIGH DEFINITION.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean though. Is there another reason you think it's going to be bad (other than being dated) or do you just think they'll try to cash in on the name and end up doing a hack job on it?

The latter, I mean they'll try and remake the game entirely and butcher it in the process.

(wasn't referring to the PC release the thread is about or anything like that)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    when they need to make serious bank with a minimal amount of effort
    I thought that was about a year ago...

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I still want that badass 8-bit one that the Japanese have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LplytE0UaY

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

We all know the FF7/Chrono Trigger/FF6 remakes in HD will come on a rainy day when SE has to file c11.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I still want that badass 8-bit one that the Japanese have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LplytE0UaY
    Graphics are better than on the ps1.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

http://kotaku.com/5924471/final-fant...rotransactions

So it looks like the "Press A to win for 10$ button" wont be in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    It will only be awful for those who don't enjoy random battles and turn based combat (or the game in general). Assuming you like both of those things, bugs and graphical errors aside, it will be just as good as it was back then as it is now. All of the great Final Fantasies are still great if you enjoy the RPGs of that era that were grindfests with tons of random battles (Deep Sea Research Center being a pinnacle of both of them, which even that wore me down). If you dislike them, well then yeah it's going to be bad. Outside of doing a hack job on it though, it should be just what everyone expects: FF7 in STUNNING HIGH DEFINITION.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean though. Is there another reason you think it's going to be bad (other than being dated) or do you just think they'll try to cash in on the name and end up doing a hack job on it?
    They don't have the original, final source code for the game. Any remaster of a FF game prior to FF7 has been rebuilt from scratch because until FF7 the company didn't have a reason to keep the source code together. When FF7 was ported to the PC it proved to be a mess because it took that team months to get a workable build. The fiasco is part of the reason SE got better at localization/porting, but FF 1-7 would have to be essentially rebuilt from scratch if not working on an existing engine.

Until they show screenshots of this we shouldn't expect anything other than a port of the '98 PC release. It wasn't announced with any fanfare at all - I mean E3 was a month ago. If they had a product that they wanted to build hype up. especially -this- title, that should have been the place to announce it. The placeholder website isn't just barebones - I've seen fanshrines with more art/flair than it has. That and the only added features are Cloud saves + Achievements doesn't fill me with confidence that this will be a masterful reworking VS a straight port with some additional elements.

There's many reasons a straight rerelease would be bad. Compared to anything nowadays 7's visuals are godawful, since everything was encoded for 320x280. The game has no challenge to it outside of Ruby/Emerald, and those are just about the right Materia setups. If they cleaned up the translation it would be worth it for that - but if they kept it?

Very few games from the mid 90's could be rereleased today without people looking on going 'what the fuck are they thinking?' I can't understand why they'd shovelware out this particular property when far to many people would pay much higher sums for a full remastering. So I hope I'm wrong that it's just a straight port.

The problem with FFVII is not the graphics, the non-existant challenge and the outdated gameplay, it's being FFVII. It's a good game and all, but I can't see why I would pay for a game that I already own and that I have played at least a dozen of times.
    No matter how good the original game is, a re-release is still a re-release. It's just a quick money grab that doesn't really give me anything new. Most remakes also fall in this category because they don't really add anything worthwile compared to the originals.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

it looks like it might be getting a script revision...

or at least they're gonna do ctrl-h and Aeris -> Aerith lol

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

As long as they leave in all of the hilarious dialog/censoring that Barret and Cid have.