+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Other than a few grammatical errors VII's dialogue was fine really, Barret is supposed to sound like Mr. T and Cid is supposed to be a foul mouthed bastard.
    no Supposed to about it he is a filthy mouthed son of a bitch with a smoking and tea addiction, and got damn is he the best cid ever! (oddly enough most of the cids are inventors or pilots in some way or another)

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Cid hierarchy:

12 > 7 > 3 > 6 > the rest

ARGUMENT GO!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I laughed harder than I should have.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Cid hierarchy:

12 > 7 > 3 > 6 > the rest

ARGUMENT GO!
    Bitch,

PLEASE

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Everyone in Tactics artwork looks the fucking same

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

To be fair, they all look the same in-game, too. >BO

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So I'm playing this again. If I had any idea how to setup a stream I would.

Things I'm struck by in the first hour:
    O and X are reversed, they're using SNES setups. Its possible to reconfigure all of the buttons in the menu at the very start of the game. Speaking of which, the menu is copy pasted right out of FF5/6 - FF8 marked the start of a the menu used in 8 through 11. Also, you have to hold the cancel button to run or walk painfully slow. Oh god does this suck. Barret's dialogue, while funny also makes him look like an idiot. I named him Mr. T. Mr. T, despite having hired you

Where SOLIDER and the like in all caps in Japanese?
    Holy fuck I'm glad they learned how to limit where you could go on the backgrounds by FF8. There's a lot of places you can wander off the beaten bath a lot, and while its cool since I can't count how many games anger me with foot high invisible barriers ("JUST RAISE YOUR GOD DAMN FOOT") there's also a distinct lack of why you can't go through some doors.

Playing this for the first time after 9/11 makes the scenes with everyone running around mildly confused despite the graphic depiction of the reactor having taken out half the town when you first walk outside slightly...off.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

There is no such thing in japanese.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I didn't think so. I'm fairly certain the only reason some names are in caps is to highlight their importance.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Pictures!

Spoiler: show

So Midgar's 50 meters off the ground? For reference that's about 16 stories. I think they forgot a Zero.

Also I retract my earlier comment about the incidental dialogue being wonky. I don't know who was butt naked and why because the event timed out and went to a battle.

I hope if this game does get remastered Midgar gets a grander sense of scale than it has in the original version. I'm constantly getting a feeling of discordance of the size that everything feels and how everything appears.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

All is important to know is if they fixed the Chocobo races in the PC version

The Spooniest of Bards
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lucian Esperance
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Apelila View Post
    SOLDIER and AVALANCHE have been capitalized in the entire Compilation, I'd like to assume they're acronyms, but nothing points in that direction.

They aren't acronyms it's just sort of a translation quirk. In the JP game they're simply called by the English words soldier and avalanche using JP characters, which is a trend comparable to an American developer doing the same thing but using Latin or Greek words in a similar manner.

When they translated it they wound up with ordinary words used to describe particular things, they could have just capitalized them but they decided to go a step further and use all caps to make it clear that they were referring to specific groups and it just became kind of a stylistic thing.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It's akin to the naming convention used by a few classic authors (Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice, Victor Hugo - Les Miserables) where they pretty much omit the name of an important place or person and you are just given the first letter or even a suffix. It's the concept that the idea/description/purpose/etc. of the noun in question is far more important than the name of it since names themselves can set presumptions when they are discussed in dialogue before they are properly introduced or described.

The names of SOLDIER, WEAPONS, and the like are brought up several times before you really get an idea what they actually are.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The translation also had a ton of inconsistencies in item names on the field and in menus.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

So it looks like this came out early accidentally. Folks were buying it but because it wasn't officially out yet, SecuROM wouldn't let them register their copy so nobody could really play. Early mining of the binary shows that they're using .ogg files made from the PC version .midi files (no vocals during One Winged Angel) and that no real effort was made to improve on the visuals. :D

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why would you OGG a midi......., if you're to OGG anything, do it on the original PSX output.

Next thing you'll say is that they have all the dupe content of all three discs there also.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Ugh, that is going to be some terrible music. Not surprised at all by visuals not being improved, but the music being just as terrible as the other PC release is kind of pathetic.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

BUT IT HAS ACHIVEMENTS AND CLOUD SAVING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast