+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Holy crap that version of OWA is torture to listen to.

I still need to make an attempt to beat FF7 though. For some reason I lose my motivation to play the game around disc 2.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I lose all motivation to almost play as soon as you escape Midgar and you head over to the Inn at the first village where you are meet with the five hours of X button spam.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Japan didn't know shit about PCs back in the day, and they still don't know shit about PCs today. Especially SE, for all their FMV glory.
    1 bad remix and SE doesn't know shit about PCs? Lol, wow.
    Honestly other than that 1 track this release is pretty solid, wish they'd have updated the backgrounds but whatever, it's still the same FFVII game and it can easily be patched if people ask them to.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Honestly other than that 1 track this release is pretty solid
    Can't be worse than the original PC version.

Spoiler: show

For that old release you needed a PC well above the specs, and a CD-ROM drive that was constantly be spinning, unless you want to be stuck with 5-6 second pauses as it tries to fetch an FMV off an idling drive, at which point the 3d graphics that are overlaid for said FMV are well out of sync. Also, if you didn't have a compatible video card (of which the game's selection was very limited), a lot of the visual effects, stuff as basic as "make the screen red" during the warning alarm prior to the first boss are not even emulated in the software rendering engine they wrote up as a fallback. The 3d minigame sections of the games had issues on PCs even back then.

Also unsure if it was just me, or if they introduced additional compression/artifacts into the FMVs, or rather that it's much easier to pick those out on a PC monitor vs. a tube TV. Never bothered emulating FF7 on PC to see if they're in that release also.

How the fuck I managed to play it start to finish on a 100mhz Pentium with 16mb RAM is beyond me.

Does anyone know how the cloud saving works? Is the game essentially wrapped with another piece of software that keeps tracks of when saves and other shit (re: achievements) are made, which commences a sync? Save files for FF7 were 8kb, would be a joke to sync that everytime you saved during the game, rather than syncing everything once you quit, like how Steam handles things.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I lose all motivation to almost play as soon as you escape Midgar and you head over to the Inn at the first village where you are meet with the five hours of X button spam.
    Replaying the game as I have been, I have to say this would be one of the bigger problems with a remake right here.

The scene is 2 hours long with text only, with voice and full cutscenes it could easily be 3+. But the scene is crucial because it sets up the story for the rest of the game for Cloud/Sephiroth. But sitting through it for 3 hours....would be daunting.

There are few locations in that point in the game to break it up into smaller bits, and right afterwards you head to Junon.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I still need to make an attempt to beat FF7 though. For some reason I lose my motivation to play the game around disc 2.
    The game has been fairly non-linear after you get the Tiny Bronco. There was many things to do. The reason is after the somewhat depressing feeling of Aerith dying, you're stuck in an equally shit/depressing zone that is simply not fun (not even the skateboard). It takes about maybe 1.5-3 (if rushing) gameplay time to get out of the ice field, climb the mount, get through the crater, give Sephrioth your black materia, before you're given some freedom again.

This is also true. In both cases (Escaping Midgar and Start of Disc 2) the game feels outright depressing after those events. For midgar, you've been, for the 3-4 hours of gameplay (maybe 6, if you were enjoying it/doing the side things) stuck in midgar, fined to a few sectors. Midgar, you know, is huge. But you've only been to parts of it. You've visited sector to sector, rode trains, explored an urban area, climbed a massive office, it was nice.

Suddenly the game flings you outside midgar, into the "openess" and you lose all of this. Kalm Town is a village/country in comparison and all the moderness that midgar feeds you is gone. Then of course there's the 3 hour flashback, but it may be not as interesting the first time around. I have to say this flashback was interesting after the release of the OVA and Crisis Core.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Almost every every game has their boring moment

FFVII it's disk 2 (the ice field)
    FFVIII was um forgot lol
    FFIX was also disk 2 (The Cleyra Trunk situation and the who new Orange continent) Part kinda sucls

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

I was going to say that its blasphemy to say that IX had a boring moment. But I guess you are right with that one.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

8's boring moments are grinding spells.

I kid, I kid. It's when the garden is out at sea and Squall is reflecting on everything and navel gazing.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

8's true boring moment was endgame/disk 4 lol

I actually like this version more. The lyrics always sounded goofy and out of place to me.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So looking for other comparison video's for this I found this:

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

WHY ISNT THE EXTERNAL CHOCOBO MINIGAME INCLUDED?!

Quote Originally Posted by Apelila View Post
    So looking for other comparison video's for this I found this:
    GDI, the first 20 seconds of this is forcing me to replay ff7 -.-

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So I guess the question is: Which version to play?
    PC 2012
    PSN
    PC
    PS1

Oh, or wait 10+ years for a possible HD remake.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

PSN for vita

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The PSN release is great if you have a PSP. Good shitter material if you're like me and have to replay everything and every corner.

I may check this re-release out just for shits and giggles while i'm on desk duty next month. Some of the FMV shit is kinda dull, especially when you know it line for line and know what's happening. I don't quite think it's a 3 hour FMV... More like 30 minutes tops if you speed through it and don't go through all the extra shit like finding the underwear and talking to everyone.

I do a PSP replay about once a month or so and have tried many different styles like the initial equip/no materia guides on Game FAQ's (which is fucking hard). It keeps the game fresh and gives you a challenge. Those of you who are bored with some of your oldies, check out some of the challenge guides and give them a whirl. You'd be surprised how much it gives back to you to try something new.

I recently copied my original very first play through to the PSP and marveled at how much I missed through that playthrough. Beat Sephiroth and everything, never got KotR or anything. I also had a save state on there where I was trying for a "Perfect Game" (also on Game FAQ's). I remember I rolled the clock over twice on that save file (some 300+ hours) of grinding, so I picked that back up and started to work on it again. 8 complete sets of perfectly mastered materia, GO!

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite View Post
    I also had a save state on there where I was trying for a "Perfect Game" (also on Game FAQ's). I remember I rolled the clock over twice on that save file (some 300+ hours) of grinding, so I picked that back up and started to work on it again. 8 complete sets of perfectly mastered materia, GO!
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. Even abusing the w-item glitch for unlimited elixers to use on the pots in the crater that would take a retardedly long time.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Yeah check the guide out here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197341-fi...vii/faqs/30493

The levels of the save states are pretty insane. 8 of every weapon/armor/accessory for all of your characters, complete set of materia (mastered with the exception of 3 complete Enemy Skills and 1 partial Enemy Skill), complete chocobo roster (all gold), 99 of all the consumables (most have to be stolen), max gil, max experience, everyone's grudge (tonberries) does 9999 to every character. Insanity.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I really want to know how many copies this has sold...

This is ludicrous.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast