Closed Thread
Page 1 of 151 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    okay guy I guess
    BG Level

General Gaming News II: Steam Helpdesk Site Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    make a new thread and call it General Gaming News II and lock this one, its too hueg
    etc
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public...nligh_SOON.jpg

Steam continues to be some sort of giant hippie gaming commune, today announcing Steam Greenlight. Rather than solicit funding for games like Kickstarter, Steam Greenlight will be a community-facing portal that will allow members to vote and comment on games that are eligible to be distributed through Steam. The highest rated ones will be approved for distribution through the network.

Currently, a small group of workers at Valve has to decide which games will be sold through Steam and which won’t. By relying on the community, not only will they get a more accurate picture of what will perform well on the service, but they’ll also remove a bottleneck in the distribution process. Pretty smart, no?

The initiative will launch in August, and the official post on the Steam Community has more details about how to submit a game for the program.
    http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/201...ght-announced/
    http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

Basically it's Kickstarter without the begging.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

It's better than Kickstarter by leagues because it is only for already completed games ready to ship.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Rumor

The latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine UK says that 343 Industries, maker of last year's Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (and, of course, this year's all-new Halo 4), has similar plans for Halo 2.

"Following the success of remake Halo Anniversary, 343 Industries has now started development of Halo 2 Anniversary," the magazine says in its rumors section. No sourcing or other details are given.

Asked about the rumor, a Microsoft spokesman told Kotaku: "Our focus right now is on developing Halo 4. Beyond that, we do not comment on rumors or speculation."
    http://kotaku.com/5924247/halo-2-hig...in-development

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://andriasang.com/con1vs/project_sora_closed/

Project Sora is No More
    Kid Icarus Uprising developer Project Sora has been dissolved. Access the company's webpage, and you'll now see a message noting that the studio was closed as of June 30. The website will close on July 31.

Project Sora was formed in 2009 by Masahiro Sakurai, with investment by Nintendo, Sakurai's Sora studio, and other parties. The studio developed Kid Icarus Uprising as its first, and apparently only, game.

Sakurai is serving as director of the 3DS and Wii U entries in the Smash Bros. series, which are being developed by Namco Bandai.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Rumor

MGS4 will soon have trophy support.

http://remoon.blog15.fc2.com/blog-entry-21897.html

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye
    All of this has nothing to do with digital distribution. Forced authentication for single player is DRM and has nothing to do with digital distribution. Likewise a game keeping its servers online for the game has nothing to do with digital distribution. Requiring something like steam to play a game does have to do with digital distribution, but it is a non-issue. (If you don't understand why already I can go into it for you.)
    When that seems to be the standard for most everything non-Steam (even getting steam to work offline is a fucking process) as far as digital distribution goes, it has everything to do with it. That type of stupid shit was made possible because of digital distribution so when looking at a future where companies are wanting to do that exclusively? You can bet that shit is only going to get worse.

As for the sales thing, I don't even understand why this is an argument. Steam sales are not nearly as good as you make them out to be. 90% of the time you can find the game elsewhere for cheaper used even when the game is on sale and 100% digital distribution takes away that option. Summer sales are great and everything, but it's only summer for 3 months out of the year and a lot of titles drop in fall/winter. I don't relish the thought of having to watch sales closely to get a game at a decent price when I can get it for cheaper elsewhere with not that much more effort.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    When that seems to be the standard for most everything non-Steam (even getting steam to work offline is a fucking process) as far as digital distribution goes, it has everything to do with it. That type of stupid shit was made possible because of digital distribution so when looking at a future where companies are wanting to do that exclusively? You can bet that shit is only going to get worse.
    Replace digital distribution with internet to see how silly your argument is. You're making up a false correlation that doesn't exist. DRM will happen if they want DRM, it has absolutely nothing to do with digitial distribution.

As for the sales thing, I don't even understand why this is an argument. Steam sales are not nearly as good as you make them out to be. 90% of the time you can find the game elsewhere for cheaper used even when the game is on sale and 100% digital distribution takes away that option. Summer sales are great and everything, but it's only summer for 3 months out of the year and a lot of titles drop in fall/winter. I don't relish the thought of having to watch sales closely to get a game at a decent price when I can get it for cheaper elsewhere with not that much more effort.
    You're making the wrong argument. I'll just point out a couple major flaws/misinformation for you. 1. Steam has a winter sale too. 2. You're comparing used games to new games. Your argument should be how digital distribution hurts used games sales (which I'd argue is a good thing) or how there is no system in place to trade a game to someone else for a lesser price.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post

Not a rumor.

http://andriasang.com/con1vt/metal_gear_announcement/

Metal Gear Solid 4 Gets Trophy Support; New Announcements Coming at August Event
    Metal Gear Solid 4 will get a Trophy patch, according to an interview with Hideo Kojima in this week's Famitsu. The magazine does not reveal a date for the patch, but MGS4 is scheduled to receive a budget release in in August, so the timing could coincide with that.

The interview also reveals that Konami will hold a Metal Gear Solid 25th Anniversary Event on August 30 at Tokyo Midtown (the office complex that houses Konami's main office). There will be some sort of announcement at the this event, Kojima reveals in the interview. This announcement is apparently related to the vision he's previously shared about a game that connects people. Peace Walker's "Transfarring" component served as a test for this vision.

Unlike today's other Famitsu reports, which came from our usual sources, we're not totally sure of the source for this particular report, but we should have confirmation later in the day.

Update: This report does appear to be true! The Trophy support will be included out the box with a 3,990 yen "PlayStation 3 The Best" budget version of MGS4 in August. Current MGS4 owners will be able to patch their copy of the game.
    Still have my copy.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

http://www.oxmonline.com/microsoft-p...-blizzard-sale

Activision Blizzard's parent company Vivendi is searching for someone to possibly purchase the video game publishing powerhouse in the wake of financial uncertainty. Despite Activision Blizzard's recent sales successes (including Call of Duty and Diablo III), Vivendi has begun testing the waters for potential bidders. Among those believed to be interested in purchasing Activision Blizzard is Microsoft.

According to a Reuters report, sources close to the Vivendi board of directors stated the company has asked its banker to "talk to possible buyers for Activision." Vivendi currently owns 60% of Activision Blizzard, and would seek to make nearly $10 million from the sale of that division. In addition to Microsoft, the sources stated other potential suitors included Time Warner, KKR, Providence and Blackstone, and Tencent.

Jean-Bernard Levy, Vivendi's former CEO, stepped down earlier this month in the wake of financial turmoil within the company. Vivendi's stock has fallen quite a bit recently, and the company is in quite a bit of debt thanks to poor acquisitions made during the course of the past year. No official sale or purchasing process has started, but Vivendi would do quite well for its investors with the revenue made on a sale of Activision Blizzard.

The implications of such an acquisition for Microsoft could be huge. Gaining franchises like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft could ostensibly change the face of the entire next generation of the industry. While nothing is set in stone just yet, it's impossible to not think about a possible future where gaming's biggest franchises are exclusive to Microsoft.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post

Sold my copy probably 2 years ago, not going to rebuy it just for trophies.

As for the Activision possibly in trouble thing, I'm sorta surprised yet at the same time I'm not. Aside from the Blizzard games and Call of Duty, they really don't have shit.

343 simply said, "We are not working on that at this time. We are kind of busy."
    Per Destructoid regarding Halo 2 remake.

http://www.destructoid.com/halo-2-anniversary-isn-t-coming-anytime-soon-231127.phtml?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsen ews

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The MS being interested in Activision/Blizzard is interesting. If they did make CoD a console exclusive, wouldn't this be a horrid mistake in terms of profit? I mean I know the CoD fan base is huge, but I wonder if it's big enough to actually push brand new consoles enough to make up what they'd lose on PS4/PC sales. I know I certainly wouldn't purchase a 720/Durango/whatever JUST for CoD and I absolutely love the MP experience I get from it with my friends on my Xbox (I'm buying a 720 anyway, but that's irrelevant).

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    The MS being interested in Activision/Blizzard is interesting. If they did make CoD a console exclusive, wouldn't this be a horrid mistake in terms of profit? I mean I know the CoD fan base is huge, but I wonder if it's big enough to actually push brand new consoles enough to make up what they'd lose on PS4/PC sales. I know I certainly wouldn't purchase a 720/Durango/whatever JUST for CoD and I absolutely love the MP experience I get from it with my friends on my Xbox (I'm buying a 720 anyway, but that's irrelevant).
    given the number of gamertags blatantly dedicated to CoD with a CoD exclusive achievement history, and the insane sales they make, I'd say yes, it would convince a lot of people.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

New Rocksteady BATMAYAN game will be Silver Age

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056432

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    given the number of gamertags blatantly dedicated to CoD with a CoD exclusive achievement history, and the insane sales they make, I'd say yes, it would convince a lot of people.
    I guess what I was getting at is given that about half the sales are Xbox and the other half come from PS3 and PC, would it be worth making it console specific and potentially losing a significant portion of those sales. People with gamertags exclusive to CoD are probably people already going to purchase a 720 since they own a 360, or are one of the several sock accounts some players have, so I'm not sure what you're implying with that (unless you are using gamertags as a general term to cover PSN IDs/Steam IDs as well).

Pretty sure he's saying that CoD has such a devoted fan base that, come time to choose a next gen console, an Xbox exclusive CoD is going to make them choose Xbox. They wouldn't be losing half the sales if more people choose their console because of the game.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Alienating fans on the other system is being kind of a dick too.

Well, the idea would be that they're not on the other systems. But I don't think Microsoft would care about being dicks.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 151 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag