1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 55 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 4 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -6 hours, -5 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 15 hours, 4 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I don't mind bard in FFXIV although I agree it is an odd choice for it to come out of Archer. It would be far more logical to come out of a thief type class like in other games, but I suppose they wanted it represented early so that wasn't an option. On one hand its an easy job to implement and balance, on the other if they had held off they could put more flourish into a job that should be mostly bells and whistles.

It also frustrates me that thm is a subclass for it, I can imagine any other class being more useful.

There's literally no point in going Archer over Bard unless you're stacked with more than 2(3). It's a good job

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    There's literally no point in going Archer over Bard unless you're stacked with more than 2(3). It's a good job
    I agree with this statement. There really is no reason to gimp yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by manako View Post
    I don't mind bard in FFXIV although I agree it is an odd choice for it to come out of Archer. It would be far more logical to come out of a thief type class like in other games, but I suppose they wanted it represented early so that wasn't an option. On one hand its an easy job to implement and balance, on the other if they had held off they could put more flourish into a job that should be mostly bells and whistles.

It also frustrates me that thm is a subclass for it, I can imagine any other class being more useful.
    Resonance makes landing songs much easier when people are spread out, AoE Sanguine can put your MP to some use by helping other people recover theirs.

They restricted BRD's subclasses to non-DoW because they had to tone down their DD ability in some way to contemplate for the buffs they could give. You can't have high damage, at range, and unique AoE buffs all rolled into 1 job.

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    naming a damage dealing class after a reviled class was my problem with it. I know some of you might have liked bard, some might have loved it, but for a lot of people it was the class they had to play, not the class they wanted to play. Thats my problem with it.
    Sono, it's the job we need, not the job we deserve.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    They restricted BRD's subclasses to non-DoW because they had to tone down their DD ability in some way to contemplate for the buffs they could give. You can't have high damage, at range, and unique AoE buffs all rolled into 1 job.
    Fuck balance, shoot arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    naming a damage dealing class after a reviled class was my problem with it. I know some of you might have liked bard, some might have loved it, but for a lot of people it was the class they had to play, not the class they wanted to play. Thats my problem with it.
    The problem does not really lie with the job, but with the entire job system. There will always be preferences and needs due to the way the entire game is set up. The entire ability system of the Final Fantasy series makes it very hard to have jobs that can really share roles. Until SE decides that they can actually change that it wont change.

Imagine if you can augment a warrior to buff and heal, the thing is since we are stuck on white magic being the only way to really effectively heal, songs buff, etc in the game what else can we do? Nothing will change until SE adapts their job system to focus playstyles and not roles.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I love BRD and would not have touched it with a ten mile pole in FFXI.

If that tells you anything.

I've beaten melee DDs in parses on Moogle fight numerous times (these are pickup DDs, not Darklight-geared beasts, but still... fairly impressive). I would never have leveled the job if it was ACTUALLY a BRD.

So make all jobs the same

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Yeah, Bard in XIV is actually quite impressive. If I still played I'd make it my second main since it kinda reminds me of COR from XI with the DD/buff benefits.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah sono, you should come back, if you went to a server that one of us was on, you would probably have your "Bardcher" (i'm gonna patent that name, fuck apple inc.) to 50 by friday. After I finish THM/bLM i'm leveling Bardcher next.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, the whole Archer/Bard thing is really misleading to those not playing thanks to how Bard played in XI for the entirety of its lifespan.

Even when on Bard, it is very much, possibly more-so, a DD class... it's just that you get the added responsibility of occasionally using an AoE support ability for your party amongst your arrow shootan. That's pretty much all there is to it.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Yeah, Bard in XIV is actually quite impressive. If I still played I'd make it my second main since it kinda reminds me of COR from XI with the DD/buff benefits.
    Yeah that's the thing, Archer is going to become (imo) Ranger, Marksman, Sniper, Corsair. I sort of like how they have done the classes>job thing with XIV. Basically getting all 8 DOW/M to 50 is a pretty nice setup for the future etc.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Um..how did this thread about subscribers turn into a BRD discussion???

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post
    Yeah that's the thing, Archer is going to become (imo) Ranger, Marksman, Sniper, Corsair. I sort of like how they have done the classes>job thing with XIV. Basically getting all 8 DOW/M to 50 is a pretty nice setup for the future etc.
    Maybe, though I hope it's Musketeer > Corsair for a class/job combo. Then again I question about the class/job system co-existing in the long run.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    I agree with this statement. There really is no reason to gimp yourself.
    That's probably what's pissing Sono off. I'd assume that there should/would be something unique about Ranger that would make it worth playing over Archer, like with Dragoon over Lancer. I just don't know what that would be. I'd hope that it wouldn't be the same broken damage mechanics that probably drew most originally Rangers to their "favorite" job in the first place, but that's just the old war drg vet in the talking...

...fucking pussies.

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    There are no rocks to talk about.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    Because nobody cares. XI has a huge niche following and people bought collectors edition/crysta that they never used. With incentive to use shit they already bought (legacy), why wouldn't they? If anything, this kind of stat only proves that half of all subscribers feel that the game still isn't currently worth playing, but they still care enough to pay attention to 2.0. That's the boat I'm in tbh.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'd wager that anyone still visiting these forums yet not currently playing is in that boat. Count me amongst the teeming masses.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post

I was under the impression that SE was going to add new classes to go along with any new jobs. I could be wrong but that's what it was looking like.

I completely see where Sono is coming from. There were a good portion of people who were playing archer to be a powerhouse ranged DD, and not playing it to run around and enhancing the party. As much as it's different then FFXI, you still have to worry about people losing songs, and who gets what ballad vs minuet, and at least for me, I don't want to deal with that at all. I have played BRD a few times after it's been released and I really don't care for it. I would have rather seen it turn into a something similar to RNG, a powerhouse ranged DD, and just have more abilities to enhance self DPS. That being said, musketeer in one of the options in the recent players poll and it got a lot of votes, so it might end up turning into the new XIV RNG come 2.0.