1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 47 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 21 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 12 hours, 47 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level

I am not playing, yet I am capable of playing in that my 3 month sub hasn't expired yet. FFXIV is playable, but I've done most of the things that make it different from other MMOs. That said, I'm enjoying TSW, but frequently opt to play LoL instead because, while all of the missions are well acted, executed, and written, it's all so bloody dark and depressing (even, sometimes especially, when it's funny) that I need to take an emotional break. Poor Marianne Chen...Then I lose 3 LoL games in a row, wonder if I'm in ELO hell, and get back to games where I have a firmer grasp on my progress.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

BRD is worth playing just for Rain of Death. Shit is awesome.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That is a pretty bad ass looking Weapons skill, tbh.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Best thing about brd? No one in my ls wants to play it because they think it's like ffxi brd, SO I WILL GET ALL THE GEARS.

Also, I like to think of it as basically any DD class in WoW. At least when I lasted played it seemed like they designed it so all the classes have a party buff they have to cast. This is just on a shorter timer.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Best thing about brd? No one in my ls wants to play it because they think it's like ffxi brd, SO I WILL GET ALL THE GEARS.

Also, I like to think of it as basically any DD class in WoW. At least when I lasted played it seemed like they designed it so all the classes have a party buff they have to cast. This is just on a shorter timer.
    Agreed, it has that same qualities to me as well.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

- When asked about a Mage class like Red Mage or Summoner being in at 2.0 launch he basically said "I have to say 'no comment' but you should read between the lines."
    Honestly this is the most interesting part of the interview to me. He's basically confirming it and looking at the artwork I'd say chances are it's Summoner.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

What artwork are you talking about?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Yoshida's already said that the current job system is the basic framework, and its going to be fleshed out with more jobs as we go on, he's referenced GLA getting DRK in the future. I suspect once classes get more jobs we might see a system bwhere either jobs get locked out of some class skills or new jobs get a bunch more skills when released so that they are really distinguishable from each other. It would also give classes more application because they'd maintain the broad skillset that forms the basis of 2+ jobs.

If yoshi manages to fit time mage in somehow id be sold on 2.0 for a bit

Road Tinnies
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The one key thing they missed out on BRD launch was to give them the ability to cast a single target song on themselves. The only way i can see RNG being beneficial over BRD or a need for RNG would be if they implemented the need for the like of widescan and having to track mobs to a point that it was required. Skirmish could of been a good dungeon idea for that concept because it leads with having to find mobs in a set time but as the classes stand now i would imagine that is just running around to the areas of where they randomly pop.

What artword are you talking about?
    I think he refers to those Fenrir and Caitsith artworks that were released.

Made me think that they may go down the Celestial/Terrestrial avatars, making FFXI Terrestrial ones - or some of them - into SMN pets, since we already know Celestials are named Primals in FF14 and intended to be godlike.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I'd love to give XIV another shot, but until they fix the terrible engine I'll just wait for 2.0. I have a very good comp, but the engine is so badly optimized that it will stress test anything. And I don't see the point of playing XIV for that reason

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    What artwork are you talking about?
    Fenrir, Cait Sith and Typhon. All three scream pets to me, especially Typhon considering he's of the right size. Fenrir and Cait Sith are both summons in XI and it's a safe assumption they'll be here as well imo.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that the Primals are all summonable in XI but both Fenrir and Cait Sith are in a whole different category. Also the Primals are all getting a new skin in XIV (at least so far), Cait and Fenrir are identical to their XI selves.
    Yoshida's comment simply makes me believe that he's planning to release Summoner first considering it fits both the pet job and mage categories and he said a while ago that both are needed in the game.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

"BRD only has a few songs, they spend most of their time DDing".

Yeah, I hear this time and time again. What happens when BRD doesn't only have a few songs? What happens when the level cap goes up and BRD has about 10 useful songs? What happens when you need to stick different songs on each party member? Your DD will go down the toilet and be replaced with your support abilities. A level cap rise to 60 surely can't be that far off. I'd put money on it coming with V2, just to get people out there levelling again.

BRD is not something you should be preparing for a longterm DD class and this is what will put me off getting that relic weapon first.

Musketeer is going to be the ranged DD class everyone wants and most likely its job won't be a support class. But who knows when that will be implemented. DD classes aren't their priority for additions.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Its nice to hear SE reporting some good news regarding 14. Any amount of sub increase is good news, lets hope they can keep it rolling.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Yeah, I hear this time and time again. What happens when BRD doesn't only have a few songs? What happens when the level cap goes up and BRD has about 10 useful songs? What happens when you need to stick different songs on each party member? Your DD will go down the toilet and be replaced with your support abilities. A level cap rise to 60 surely can't be that far off. I'd put money on it coming with V2, just to get people out there levelling again.

BRD is not something you should be preparing for a longterm DD class and this is what will put me off getting that relic weapon first.

Musketeer is going to be the ranged DD class everyone wants and most likely its job won't be a support class. But who knows when that will be implemented. DD classes aren't their priority for additions.
    They could have a 100 useful songs and it's not going to matter unless they introduce a way to use a song on a specific target and have it not AoE. Since every song is AoE and is centered around the BRD, it would be completely unreasonable to try to sing on 8 different people since you'd have to have each person running back and away from everyone else for their own individual song. Assuming you actually would take the time to do that you're only using about 30 seconds of buff time, so you'd have 2 minutes to DD, 3 minutes with relic bow.

Oh and you can only do one song per BRD. That's probably the most important part <_<

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Unless those songs are highly specific and obscenely useful I don't see that happening, as it is minuet is seldom needed (akin to needing madrigal in XI, but with different tradeoffs) and paeon is a nice perk at best (we're far more limited by recast timers and positioning than TP).

Given the short cast time of songs and capable DD capabilities they gave BRD, expecting them to further bog down the job away from damage is not an expectation I'd have of Yoshi's team (tho if this were XI all bets would be off).

I do wish songs weren't self-target only tho, I'm not sure why they decided to do that.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I do wish songs weren't self-target only tho, I'm not sure why they decided to do that.
    Obvious "it's a game, they can do what they want" stuff aside, you're singing a song. It's going to be centered around you. That is why they decided to do that.

It's a clear step backwards from the same function in XI, which is reason enough to raise it as a legitimate issue not so simply dismissed.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    They could have a 100 useful songs and it's not going to matter unless they introduce a way to use a song on a specific target and have it not AoE. Since every song is AoE and is centered around the BRD, it would be completely unreasonable to try to sing on 8 different people since you'd have to have each person running back and away from everyone else for their own individual song. Assuming you actually would take the time to do that you're only using about 30 seconds of buff time, so you'd have 2 minutes to DD, 3 minutes with relic bow.

Oh and you can only do one song per BRD. That's probably the most important part <_<
    Another important point is the actual cast time on a song extremely short compared to the FFXI version. Outside of needing to stop to cast the song, you really aren't taking a step back from the action for too long to buff people. As I said, FFXIV bard is more like Corsair. Self target AOE buffs that go up quickly and last for a decent amount of time and the rest of the time you behave like a Damage dealer. It could change later on with more interesting songs or even the addition of enfeebling songs but for now they are a damage dealer that just happens to have the capacity to buff people.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

BRDs still do have some of the coolest WS'es in the game, but I too am a bit disappointed in the lack of a pure RNG class. I don't think enough people are pointing out how silly BRD AF looks though. That's a real concern.