BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Also learning when to use X-Factor to save your point and middle characters.
    Agreed with everything until you got to this. I think it comes down to a lot more than just saving the character, since there's a lot of circumstance behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose View Post
    Agreed with everything until you got to this. I think it comes down to a lot more than just saving the character, since there's a lot of circumstance behind it.
    Its use is definitely a lot more varied. In vanilla MVC3 it's either save until last character or use on Wolverine's throw at the beginning of the game... it was stupid.

I still think XF3 is way too overpowered, but I don't have problems with the concept of X-Factor anymore.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I remember talking to Arturo at EVO, asking him what he thinks of the scene now as compared to the old GGPO, Capcom, Tekken and poverty game only days. He basically told me that most people in this generation suck because the only care to rip technology off each other, and that we may never see a great overall leveling up period like CVS2 or Marvel 2 again. He also made mention to say that Japan might one day take over Marvel, if the hype continues to build over there.
    This is what was so great about the GGXX scene about 10 years ago. We (the RI/MA Barnage crew) would drive all over the place to get new info. NY/CT was easy because we played with NerdJosh, Tony Barnage and James/Jamie almost every weekend. What kind of things were TomAss, C-God and Toby coming up with in Maryland? Let's drive 8 hours to find out. FinalShowdown has a sick Ky in Detroit? Let's go play him. I literally lost 25-0 playing casuals against TomAss the first time I went to Maryland because it was the first time I'd seen Anji. No videos, none of my friends played him, nothing.

Now if I go to one of the weeklies to play KoF there might be 3-4 other people that didn't show up in the same car as me. If you beat them a couple of times they just go play a different game. No attempt to learn. No attempt to level up. No questions asked to learn how to get better. They just give up. The next week they'll show up playing your team, but they don't learn anything. They don't actually play those characters, they just pick them because they lost to it last week. That's not a scene interested in leveling up, so F it. I'll play 2-3 nights a week with the same dudes I've been playing with for over a decade.

/rantoff

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Nice to see Capcom's PR people say the right thing, not I'm but sure how that will translate over to the actual dev teams. SF4 can claim pretty much full credit for the FG resurgence, but SF5 is going to have a massively higher bar set for it between the quality of other games released since and the lack thereof in SFxTK.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Viq View Post
    This is what was so great about the GGXX scene about 10 years ago. We (the RI/MA Barnage crew) would drive all over the place to get new info. NY/CT was easy because we played with NerdJosh, Tony Barnage and James/Jamie almost every weekend. What kind of things were TomAss, C-God and Toby coming up with in Maryland? Let's drive 8 hours to find out. FinalShowdown has a sick Ky in Detroit? Let's go play him. I literally lost 25-0 playing casuals against TomAss the first time I went to Maryland because it was the first time I'd seen Anji. No videos, none of my friends played him, nothing.

Now if I go to one of the weeklies to play KoF there might be 3-4 other people that didn't show up in the same car as me. If you beat them a couple of times they just go play a different game. No attempt to learn. No attempt to level up. No questions asked to learn how to get better. They just give up. The next week they'll show up playing your team, but they don't learn anything. They don't actually play those characters, they just pick them because they lost to it last week. That's not a scene interested in leveling up, so F it. I'll play 2-3 nights a week with the same dudes I've been playing with for over a decade.

/rantoff
    I've been getting a lot of compliments locally for the way I grind hard and have leveled up...which is funny because the main reason I do it is exactly what Sho said, just for credibility to help increase stream views lol

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Looked up JWong's Rolltier team and saw a video. He was using Roll/Servbot/Megaman. It was pretty hilarious to watch him trash the Cable/Guile/CapCommando team player.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Viq View Post
    Don't know if you've experienced this over there. Over here in WI, you have certain people who are riding the OG card so hard that even if you were to do things like ask questions or attempt to understand their tactics, they would brush you off or tell you some ridiculous bullshit. You'll rarely see this at the top level. It's more of the mid level that you see this attitude crop up. And I want to say it's only a WI thing because when I go down to Chicago to play, I pick up a ton of shit with people that are willing to talk about it.

It gets really funny when you start creaming their ass regularly to the point where they start asking you shit.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Chicago is great with that, the downside is when you called next and the two guys at the station pause the game for half an hour to go over something lol

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

My buddies from RI and guys like Gridman and his brother Weaksauce (sidenote: First met those two going to DDR tournaments. I placed 2nd to Weaksauce at least half a dozen times.) are among the most OG players that frequent Boston/RI/MA events. If someone wants to learn, we have no problem answering questions. We learned a long time ago that teaching someone how to beat you will make you adapt and find better ways to play, new mixups, whatever. If dudes don't want to learn, there's only so much you can do.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose View Post
    Yea, that's what I meant. People are no longer using it as a crutch to make a last minute comeback. Its activation is now part of a player's metagame more, which is primarily to make attacks and movement safe.

Calli, your reason is much unlike everyone else's. You fully recognized that you won't be as good as other players, so you'd rather do the streaming aspect more, and show off your scene more so than become a tournament level player. Thady shit is pretty noble and I respect that personally.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

For those interested, here is one of the matches:

He literally said before the 5v1, "I am so much better than the best players in Europe that I can beat them with RollTier." No one expected him to actually pick it and WIN so easily. That game was entirely skill based. A comeback was a real comeback. The hype was REAL and INTENSE.

I'll do the top 8 thing in a bit after I catch up on some work email. Got too drunk last night x_X

Edit: Calli levels up pretty much each time I play him, so I think he could be a pretty damn good player by next EVO.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Calli, your reason is much unlike everyone else's. You fully recognized that you won't be as good as other players, so you'd rather do the streaming aspect more, and show off your scene more so than become a tournament level player. Thady shit is pretty noble and I respect that personally.
    also, paypah

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

That paypah! Aside from Art, I also talked to Fooblat and NerdJosh that same day that Calli was streaming Marn and Min. Talking about the metagame of Marvel 3. They both believe that the metagame first works on the top top tier characters, then the actual mindset of the players involved. Then they picked apart my team and its faults. It was very interesting discussionm

BG Level

What in the hell are you doing losing to that Ibuki?

Also, when does SBO start in EST time? Anyone know how to buy it?

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    What in the hell are you doing losing to that Ibuki?
    I was feeling myself from the win streak and got too happy pressing buttons lol

Also Domingo plays slightly differently than you so I expect stuff that doesn't end up coming.

BG Level

Don't tell me thats the Ibuki that comes in 1st/2nd in Chicago? hahaha

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

nah that's when our heavy hitters don't show up. Our best plays Akuma, our second best plays like...every character, and our real best never comes out but plays Guy/Cammy. That doesn't count the central IL guys as well.

BG Level

I would guess Big Marcus is the best in that area, no?

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

He's in the central IL group, honestly I think Spriggan is better, and iRedman(the guy who doesn't come out) I think would be as well, he absolutely steamrolled the one weekly he came out to.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

To an extent I think Big Marcus is hindered by only having the same three guys to play against, IFD guys are really good players but they can only give him so many different looks.

Closed Thread
Page 21 of 647 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 ... LastLast