Closed Thread
Page 19 of 647 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Slott View Post
    Also, what's "random" about marvel?
    Phoenix Wright evidence gathering and Hsien-ko projectiles duh

Quote Originally Posted by Chun Liroy View Post
    Also, I wasn't asking that sarcastically, I was asking that legitimately. Wtf happened to my dude
    His team can't deal with zoning and he doesn't counterpick... exactly what Sanford was saying in the video.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

If you made combos 8-10x more difficult, then no one would land combos, people drop simple combos left and mother fucking right.

Also, I wasn't asking that sarcastically, I was asking that legitimately. Wtf happened to my dude
    That is why the best players ALWAYS won in Marvel 2. You could look at a 100 man tourney and get 8 of the top 10 players right 99% of the time, before it even started.

THIS is why Marvel 3 is random as fuck. You can't even count on the most skilled players making it out of pools in winners bracket, if at all.

The damage and comeback factor is TOO HIGH while the combos to do the damage is TOO EASY.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Just curious, what you think of KOF13's HD mode?

Edit: like.... while it may be hype, is this fair?

For starters, you're talking about Shen anchor here. Playing stupid/careless against Shen anchor in 13 is a big fucking no no.

EVO was the first time I had seen that tech with Shen's CBAC. Otherwise, certain other characters already had known Guard Break combos (I can execute Andy's no problem), but you rarely see them because they don't do as much damage as a fully connected HD combo will do.

That situation happened because Haitani put himself in it. If he had 1 stock, he could have GC blowback or GC rolled right out of it and BBZ would have looked dumb for it.

Also, comparing KOF's HD mode to SF4's ultras is flat out ignorant of the mechanics.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Well maybe you can explain why? I know nothing about KoF, so I'm curious. How does it's comeback mechanic work?

I don't play KOF, so I was just curious. Obviously I'm ignorant of the ins and outs of KOF lol.

Don't need to be defensive man.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

I don't understand your question, what do you mean what happened to marlinpie?

As for marvel 2, I played it casually (never knew there was even a competitive scene for it) However, using "random" to describe marvel 3 isn't an accurate term.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Slott View Post
    However, using "random" to describe marvel 3 isn't an accurate term.
    LOL

You must subscribe to Dole Magazine.

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Dropping combos all the time, and it seems people have gotten used to his mix up shenanigans on incoming characters. Doesn't seem to be adapting as well as everyone else, like everyone else levelled up around him and he's sort of stagnated a bit, besides just making up new combos (that side TAC midscreen doom combo is so sexy though, haven't seen anyone else pull it off, I think?). Also, can someone explain how a character like spencer can counter keep away type characters (I believe people say he counters morrigan?).

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

If you want to call it a comeback mechanic, the drive gauge does three things:

1. It allows the ability to chain a special into another special only if the first special connected. Cost is 50% of the gauge.
    2. It allows any special move to cancel into a super, no matter what. Cost is 50% of the gauge.
    3. By activating HD mode, you can cancel moves into other moves. This usually concludes with a super, which then can be cancelled into the character's NeoMax.

There's a subset of 3, HD Bypass, but that's a different conversation.

Keep in mind that no matter what point you're looking at, you have to still execute. There's no simple commands or one trick ponies.

Also, can someone explain how a character like spencer can counter keep away type characters (I believe people say he counters morrigan?).
    Bionic Arm as Doom appears to shoot hidden missiles.

BG Level

I don't know anything about KOF13 except that execution is hella impressive, and Spanish speaking individuals love it like crack.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

Spencer and morrigan go 50/50. You can bionic arm a soulfist, and try to catch morrigan on the first flight or land the hit on doom. That being said, morrigan can shut spencer down too. (bait the bionic arm, use shadow servant, bionic arm loses)

You can't compare marvel 2 to marvel 3 as if it's the same game +1. Marvel 3 has an entire cast of viable characters, with different playstyles. You can play keep away or rush down, mix it up with both. Marvel 2 had what, like 8 characters you could use? It's a different game. Also, the competitive scene for marvel 3 is much bigger than it ever was for marvel 2. When you try to predict 8 players out of 300, fine. Out of 1500? A little harder. The game is also a lot more popular than mvc2 was.

Now, using marlinpie as an example, he's a rushdown oriented player with a doom/ammy team gimmick. He got shutdown by keepaway since he couldn't ever make it in. That's not random, it's a flaw of his team. Jwong picked spencer against chris g? Chris g plays ryu team. Jwong switches to wolverine? Chris g switches to morrigan. With such a huge character pool, there are counter teams, and counter teams to counter counter teams etc.

Random is a term used to describe the game by people that aren't willing to admit they made a mistake.

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If it works so often, is it really a gimmick? XD

I think we can all just safely say that Peter is the people's champ. That match with him and fchamp, iirc (maybe it was someone else), had HELLA counter picking. And that's what sanford is talking about, that's west coast peeps, not east coast.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Only complaint I have of ultras in SF4 is that the FADC system heavily caters to the typical quarter-circle ultras and screws over charge-style ones. Unless you have godlike Sako execution with Ms. Cleo reading skills but that's another conversation.

BG Level

I don't want to randomly attack you, because I don't know you, but holy shit...

Marvel 3 is more popular than Marvel 2 because of Street Fighter 4. Whichever game would have came last would have been the most popular, regardless of which is better.

The competitive scene is more popular than before because of widespread, and cheap, access to the internet. This means Youtube, combo forums, and tons of sites like SRK and Dustloop. Again, whichever game came last would have been the most popular, regardless of which is better.

The results by the best players are random as hell, making the game random in the tourney scene. This is due to X-factor, comebacks being far too easy and unimpressive, and combos being easy to execute. It is like the Kids-R-US version of Marvel.

The best example is when Justin Wong went to Europe for the 1v5 Exhibition. Justin Wong played Team Roll Tier (Roll, Servbot, someone else) and he 5-0'd Europe's top 5 Marvel 2 players with the worst 3 characters in the game. Marvel 2 was not random, the best player won 9/10 times. This is NOT the case in Marvel 3, making it random.

If you can't see this, you are just too new to the scene to understand what you're talking about.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

RE: KOF stuff

Aside from the stuff TBR mentioned, you gain more HD for attacking than getting hit. In that regard it's similar to GGXX meter. Almost every action will give both players meter, but the aggressor gets more.

Also, this can not be stressed enough, but the level of execution required for HD combos is fucking absurd. That Shen tech in the video that was posted was really impressive for a number of reasons, but as was pointed out, was avoidable with even just one meter to use defensively. Even simpler HD combos, like Hwa Jai or Shen, require tight execution. If you start looking at characters like Takuma or Leona, where you have to repeatedly cancel charge moves into charge moves, then you're talking about stricter execution requirements than about 95% of the games out there. Even if you want to sort of scrub it out and use your HD bar for Super Cancels instead of HD combo you still have things like Kyo's 623A xx 2141236[9]C. Aside from moving the stick all over the place, you have to tiger knee the super to make sure you are off the ground, but the cancel of the DP has to be done on the first hit. Any comparison between stuff like that and DP -> FADC Ultra is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Justin Wong played Team Roll Tier (Roll, Servbot, someone else) and he 5-0'd Europe's top 5 Marvel 2 players with the worst 3 characters in the game.
    This reminds me of the Shadowloo Showdown qualifiers. Justin wanted to play umvc3 but since he already qualified in SF4, people made him play random select. HE STILL WON LIKE 4 GAMES BEFORE HE LOST. I really enjoyed that lol.

BG Level

Question: Mike Ross is headed to SBO for last minute quals; who is on his team? I am guessing Justin Wong and???

I was reading on twitter that they're going to try to get kim1234 to join their sbo team.

Closed Thread
Page 19 of 647 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast