1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 16 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 7 hours, 21 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 9 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 0 hours, 21 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    We all knew there was a purely-CGI trailer floating around and now we finally saw it. Not sure why anyone expected otherwise. This venue wasn't going to be the first you hear or see of in-game 2.0 footage.

P.S. <3 the clip of Ul'dah getting blown to shit.
    Uldah blowing up made me laugh, then I realized my retainers just died in a horrible explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    Uldah blowing up made me laugh, then I realized my retainers just died in a horrible explosion.
    not mine, I haven't been able to summon one for a month >.>

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    not mine, I haven't been able to summon one for a month >.>
    I wish the retainer system would die along with Uldah to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    I wish the retainer system would die along with Uldah to be honest.
    I hope so, concept art of an auction house would make me more excited than the trailer

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Why are people hating on uldah? because it isn't retardedly stretched out and most of the npcs you need to use are close to each other? <_<

Would rather see grid/LL blown up so they are rebuilt more conveniently.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

LL does blow up in the trailer to be fair.

I don't think its so much uldah hate as it is just awesome seeing a city explode.

All this trailer needed is more Patrick Stewart and it should've been done as Louisox is speaking and ending with "I'm sending you to the future. You're our only hope"

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think there will be more trailers like that too, seeing what the Lodestone says:

We are pleased to announce that the first trailer for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn, entitled The Fate of Eorzea, has been released.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

"LL! A sight for sore eyes!"

Boom.

No more stupid pirate talk there.

A. Body
    BG Level

The new trailer, just like the last one, is merely a cut version of the new opening CS. To me, seeing what they do with the new whole opening experience will show me if SE has learned anything. 1.0 had a lot of problems, one of them was tone. The first CG opening had two smarmy gobshites who were meant to be endearing by being vitriolic, but just came off as annoying and unlikable. They cement this by being mostly unconcerned when its obvious their ally just had a severe emotional episode. Then there's this random cretin we're meant to identify with (or more accurately, project onto). He's at a counter, buying jewelry, which he shows to his bitchy girlfriends. Then he gets transported to somewhere, in the midst of doing something for some reason. Does the magic jewelry always do that? Is this one special? Is it him who's special? Then SE does their Star Wars thing, shit explodes and the dream collapses. There's a difference between causing a player to ask questions and just pumping a bunch of random shit into their face to draw out a reaction. We all now know why those things happened, but it was an OPENING CUT SCENE. It's not supposed to make sense only after the fact, it's supposed to make sense first and then make MORE sense later.

This extended into the actual game as well. The city intros were decent at setting the scene and general tone of the area, but after that we just see a bunch of people talking in an unreadable old English accent hinting at their ridiculously contrived plots. Limsa's original plot was about pirates conspiring with beastmen to overthrow the city. That woulda been fine, if they didn't draw it out like a blade. We find accomplices and informants and shit and it never leads to much because the sahagin won't be added until 2.0. I didn't play through the whole thing, so it's possible it took a turn, but it went on long enough with so little happening that I can comfortably say it all boiled down to content padding, even that early in development. I DID play Ul'dah all the way through though. It seemed like a bunch of people got murdered for no real reason because Garleans. I mean, I got that it was meant to highlight the dangers of an obstructive bureaucracy, but all the characters seemed like they just fell into the situation. Even the people who planned out events seemed like they didn't think it through. People used to praise SE for at least attempting to force thick, heaping spoonfuls of story down our throats, but if our biggest questions are "What's happening?" and "Why should I care?" how is it any different from just posting a wall of text that we can ignore?

It's disappointing, because even FFXI did better in this department: Refugees, Battle at Helms Deep only they lose (wait, in LotR did they lose? been a while), only one survivor who returns to right what was wrong. Beginning, middle and end; It follows a clear logical progression. The characters spoke less, but it was enough to establish their place in the story. We sympathize with the two protagonists due to their obvious frailty and the plainly horrible situation they're in.

For me, THAT'S why the trailer and new CS is important, it has to set a clear tone for the rest of the game. Something for the rest of the game to build a solid foundation on. It seems like SE has a decent idea of what to do now. From what I see the story is Shit was Fucked, Shit is Fucked, Shit's gunna be Fucked, but at least you can do something about it then. That at least has a clearer beginning, middle, and end and it establishes what kind of world we're stepping into, one whose shit was fucked.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Wycor View Post
    May contain mision spoiler:
    Spoiler: show
    We stoped Nael but we didn't sop dalamud. When Nael "dies" Dalamud (atomos) absorbs him. Nael only acted as puppet and if i had to speculate i would say there is a "shadow lord" controling in the shadows. Like FF11 wings of godeness expansion.
    So now we have the scenario (untill 2.0) where we try to stop dalamud, we epic fail and gandalf.. er Lousise sends us to future. Although why not past again? The "shadow lord" is the emperor? duh
    Well Cid says we stopped Dalamud altogether and we destroyed both the device and Nael. Unless Cid is outright deceiving us he knows what he's talking about. Also if I were the Garleans I'd get the hell away from Eorzea not fight while a giant ball is about to hit the ground <_<. Chances are they just wanted Nael out of the picture for whatever reason

I think that the White Raven scheme was to make Dalamud impact on Eorzea and wipe out most lifeforms, in your typical crazy-villain fashion.
    The Garleans, on the other hand, may seek to actually *use* the satellite and its weapons to conquer the whole of Eorzea. That is pretty much confirmed by the newest trailer.

So while Nael's defeat is considered a victory by Cid because it prevented complete destruction, things may soon change for the worst (from 1.23b onward) when the Black Wolf will gain control of Dalamud.

unrelated but,
    Could anyone post a little more insight on the Atomos / Lilith plot?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tomino View Post
    unrelated but,
    I don't remember everything and properly but will try:
    Lilith is a hybrid hume-elvan woman who cames from (i don't remember this part good) paralel/future world where beastman tribes and shadow lord forces have won the allied alliance (windurst etz) and rule the world.
    You can see this how 14 history goes same way as 11, first nations are split and act on their own but went the danger comes they ally togeher and fight.
    While you advance on the history on 11 you meet Cai sith (sure misspell) who helps you and decieve you at same time and the woman leading the bad guys. woman [You can searh more pictures googling lilith ff11] (note the resemblance with this concept art of 14: concept14woman).
    More history here and there and Atomos appear in a zone similiar to the bcnm against Raven in 14, up in the sky like a meteor emerging from the clouds atomos. While you go for more misions, Atomos starts to absorb or drain the world (like last CS on raven where you can see the particles from him go to dalamud) and cai sith (again surely misspell but too lazy to check) helps you to stop it.

Blahblah blah chitchat here and there and the dark woman tells you is Lilith (the young hybrid woman who you do mision) and comes from another world more in the future thanks to a pact she did with Odin (I think it was like that) to stop Shadow lord.

After this point I don't remember nothing except batles but you can see how both lore goes almost the same way except atomos in 14 is more a machine but takes the same role that in 11. Obviously they had to do it different if not would have been a copy&paste from 11.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tomino View Post
    I think that the White Raven scheme was to make Dalamud impact on Eorzea and wipe out most lifeforms, in your typical crazy-villain fashion.
    The Garleans, on the other hand, may seek to actually *use* the satellite and its weapons to conquer the whole of Eorzea. That is pretty much confirmed by the newest trailer.

So while Nael's defeat is considered a victory by Cid because it prevented complete destruction, things may soon change for the worst (from 1.23b onward) when the Black Wolf will gain control of Dalamud.

unrelated but,
    There's no Atomos/Lilith plot in XIV. Neither is even mentioned in the storyline. Atomos was found in the .dats added with 1.23 so he might play some role in 1.23a, b or c but he's not in the game yet unless some sidequest is related but I highly doubt it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

There is so much bitching going on about a simple announcement trailer using segments of what's probably going to be the opening cinematic. Frankly, given the fact that Yoshi seemed accutely aware of the issue it surprises me they even released this without a massive wave of content.

Perhaps he was foolish enough to think that people would recognise it for what it is, a small introductory segment serving to announce the title 'Realm reborn' and initiate the hype machine.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Can't really blame people. For a game that panned all over you'd think SE would have been a lot more considerate on what to show the community. We don't need some prettied up CG, we need some actual gameplay.

I just don't see how to tell consumers to have faith in a game that failed once when all you can produce for an unveiling is a CGI trailer.

Well considering their screenshots were likely photoshopped, they may not be able to release gameplay. They know they have to release gameplay footage, the trailer is probably released because they simply don't have the ability to show us gameplay.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    There's no Atomos/Lilith plot in XIV. Neither is even mentioned in the storyline. Atomos was found in the .dats added with 1.23 so he might play some role in 1.23a, b or c but he's not in the game yet unless some sidequest is related but I highly doubt it.
    you are speaking about the maw (atomos avatar), I don't. I'm speaking how simliar the lore is with the treat in the sky and everything.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yoshida is unveiling the game in China right now, they can actually add more videos/screenshots/info as the event goes on. He promised a flood of info in August starting with the trailer so it's just the beginning.

I know that but it's still pure speculation. Atomos really doesn't play a role yet and we don't know who this "Master" is. It would be funny is whoever is pulling the strings is a Primal though considering the Empire wants them dead and Neal himself calls them "false gods".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast