1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 8 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 8 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

We will likely be more liked famed heroes who disappeared at Eorzea's most crucial hour, somewhat forgotten in the distant future as a resistance builds against the Garleans, only to return as their hour once again looks most dire.

It would be more like the Shadow Lord/whatever evil destroying Vanadiel and us coming back as the Hydra Corps

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I think that would be the best explanation really, adventurers frozen outside of the timeline and letting things progress for a while (and it must be a fair while surely, considering how things appear to be pretty settled down in 2.0). New players I guess might just end up being people from the time who've come from other continents to help push the Garleans back.

Spoiler: show
    I would actually really like it if they did reference WoTG, with the place where you're hiding being the walk of echoes + meeting cait sith. Even if you leave through a maw and cait basically says "We've done you a favour, we're leaving now forever" I'd appreciate the tie in. Not sure but I think I might be in the minority saying I really enjoyed the WoTG story, and loved the Cait sith(s).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Yoshida is unveiling the game in China right now, they can actually add more videos/screenshots/info as the event goes on.

[/SPOILER]
    Hoping for just that D:

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by vadre View Post
    Spoiler: show
    I would actually really like it if they did reference WoTG, with the place where you're hiding being the walk of echoes + meeting cait sith. Even if you leave through a maw and cait basically says "We've done you a favour, we're leaving now forever" I'd appreciate the tie in. Not sure but I think I might be in the minority saying I really enjoyed the WoTG story, and loved the Cait sith(s).
    I doubt you'd be in the minority as far as liking WotG's story is concerned, most people just hate that it took an age and a half for the story to be told.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'm surprised that there's this much complaining when we were told not to expect much until the middle of next month. To be expected I suppose though, people hate them some CG trailers.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

given we know a time travel plot device exists.. can we at least stop trying to reference atomos, cait sith and FFXI's story into it?
    FFXIV is not FFXI and never will be. the lore will probably never cross paths, altho you will get a ton of references, to be sure.

Both Atomos and Cait Sith have existed in past FFs in similar forms. XI may have been the only one where they both appeared, and looked similar, but it doesn't mean anything until it is explicitly shown to be related.

as for the reception for this trailer.
    We already knew it'd be pure FMV, so i don't get the constant bitching about it. plus its relevant, exciting and gorgeous to watch.

We were also initially told that next media flood would begin in August, so this coming early was a nice surprise. Also its not like this will be the only video they release before A Realm Reborn's alpha even hits, so they have plenty of time to showcase even more.

This trailer really was there to kickstart the hype..

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Uh, a time travel plot device existing with there also being Cait Sith and Atomos is probably the reason WHY FFXI and its story are being brought up again.

Do you not realize that both of those were key factors in WotG, you know... the time travel expansion?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

People complaining about this being a CG only trailer are retarded. It was announced a while back that the first trailer would be all CG and the second would be a gameplay trailer.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Where was that stuff about the second trailer? I only remember there ever being talk about the CG trailer.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Well considering their screenshots were likely photoshopped
    God, not this again.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

don't know why it took this thread out of all of them to make me feel this way, but i suddenly feel like i'm a dickhead/retard for liking FF14. i honestly do like it in its current state, and i'm really excited for 2.0

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Uh, a time travel plot device existing with there also being Cait Sith and Atomos is probably the reason WHY FFXI and its story are being brought up again.

Do you not realize that both of those were key factors in WotG, you know... the time travel expansion?
    Not to mention he's explicitly said that other elements (Golden Saucer, Crystal Tower, Magitek, etc) from previous FFs will all appear in the game, so it's not like he couldn't tie this to the only other FFMMO in plot in some very loose way as his nod to that game.l

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post

your point being? In every FF that Odin appears in he does Zantetsuken. Does that mean that he's always the king of Baron and can morph into Raiden?
    Even if the Cavernous Maws are going to be used as a plot device to bring players to the future, it STILL DOESN'T mean the game has a direct relation to FFXI.

FF is a series built on in-references and homages. Yoshi-Ps aim was to make XIV the entry in the series with the most allusions to previous series titles (quite like what FF9 was back in its time). This would no doubt be one major way that XIV could reference XI, on top of whatever already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Where was that stuff about the second trailer? I only remember there ever being talk about the CG trailer.
    honestly, it was already to be expected. theres usually at least 2 trailers and they build progressively into the final pre-release trailer which lasts like 3minutes or so. the same can be expected from A Realm Reborn since they're treating it as if its a new release altogether..

but dev tracker in the forums confirms this anyway.

First FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Trailer Released!
    We are pleased to announce that the first trailer for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn, entitled The Fate of Eorzea, has been released. To coincide with this, the game’s website has also gone live!

Visit the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn website!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I know that stuff, I'm asking whether the fact that the second trailer will contain gameplay was explicitly said anywhere.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

So are the original story arcs still going to be available or is everything that you can do for storyline just going to be pushed into NPC talk in 2.0?

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

plus its relevant, exciting and gorgeous to watch.
    I don't want to start an argument, so don't take this as me bitching about the fact that the trailer was CGI onry (as we knew it would be) - this is a more general query. I'm just genuinely curious as to how anyone can be excited by this type of trailer. The original XIV trailer got me really excited because we had no idea how awful the game was going to be. But after that debacle the presence of a strong sceptical voice in the back of my mind means that I'm unable to get excited by CGI-heavy trailers for any game, not just FFXIV, and especially not ones that go with the usual "in a distant land... ravaged by war between good and evil... heroes must take up arms... and fight for the freedom of the Kingdom of Alator/Tarania/Moriel..." schtick. I know that's nowhere near verbatim in this case, but it's certainly in that vein.

Maybe I'm just overly cynical.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I think it goes without saying we're going to see multiple trailers for what is pretty much a new game.

Also, I don't get the problem with FFXI references, it's such a complex people seem to have about the two games being related. Unfortunately for some, they were made by the same people so I think it's unavoidable that we'll see some of this. I for one am looking forward to seeing HD Cait and I hope they keep her speech patterns from XI.

Edit: With regards to the above, I just enjoy it for what it is, which is a pretty bit of animation giving clues as to what we can expect in the future. FFXIV 1.0's release was a different situation than 2.0's, and I feel that Yoshi has consistently been truthful to the point where I feel at the very least we can expect 2.0 to be a considerable improvement. If it sucks, we'll see that in beta and there won't be any huge shocks come release.

Honestly, a lot of people seem like they felt generally hurt by launch (no one specifically here, above post just put me onto thinking about it, seems like a lot of people on OF) and are a bit wary of getting hyped at all. It's just a game at the end of the day, if it does end up sucking I'll just play GW2 :D

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    I don't want to start an argument, so don't take this as me bitching about the fact that the trailer was CGI onry (as we knew it would be) - this is a more general query. I'm just genuinely curious as to how anyone can be excited by this type of trailer. The original XIV trailer got me really excited because we had no idea how awful the game was going to be. But after that debacle the presence of a strong sceptical voice in the back of my mind means that I'm unable to get excited by CGI-heavy trailers for any game, not just FFXIV, and especially not ones that go with the usual "in a distant land... ravaged by war between good and evil... heroes must take up arms... and fight for the freedom of the Kingdom of Alator/Tarania/Moriel..." schtick. I know that's nowhere near verbatim in this case, but it's certainly in that vein.

Maybe I'm just overly cynical.
    For me, I've seen the game evolve from Sept 2010 to now so I know how much better it is, so I'm putting my faith into Yoshida following through and finishing up making it a good game when the resources are available. Yes it's only a CGI trailer, and yes it's probably stupid of me to be excited for, but given how much change for the better has happened since he took over I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I really think its just a matter of what draws different people in.
    honestly, this felt more like a trailer for a movie than a call to arms, tho I would think people would still be taken in by it. If I didn't already play XIV I personally would be tempted to at least find out more.

unless you bother to watch it many times, and in slo-mo, the main thing you would take away from this, is really a summary of what this game is about, and a whole lot of theatrics to create hype and tap on emotion.

obviously from an FFXIV player point of view, this doesn't address any of the in-game concerns at all, which wasn't the main intention of the video, but it certainly does allude a fair bit to whats in store for you.

perhaps if you use Japanese anime as an analogy to this..

1.0 is season 1. Its content (the story in such case) sucked, but the ending was not too bad, a cliffhanger.
    A Realm Reborn is season 2. We still don't know what the story will become, but they just showed us the opening anyway to create hype.

I think in the minds of anyone who played 1.0 and was already interested in 2.0, it answered maybe 1 question but opened up a whole lot more about the direction that the game is heading. And if that works, then it probably did exactly what they wanted, because the following few weeks are basically there to feed more information to people who want to hear answers.

showed it to my brother, he said "didn't they make a shitty cgi trailer for this before?"

then he asked if it was free, then he asked why would he pay to play a game that has proven it sucks and released a cgi trailer showing that it has renewed itself.

I don't think it's a matter of what draws people in, CGI is most definitely not one of those things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast