+ Reply to Thread
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Degus as pets? Any BG testimonies

I was accompanying my family around town and we had to stop to help pick up some bathing dust for a relative. I went in and, as I've not been in a pet store for a bit, saw these "Degus" ... small rat like things for sale.

They looked intruiging, and after googling some, found out that they're a step above hamsers, but doesn't need the dedication of a dog/cat, and they can be somewhat clever.

Still, anyone keep any here and can share some stories/advice/information? Thinking about keeping a pair or 3-4, I got a enough room for the cage.

I was told by the internet/UK sites to not buy them but to go rescue them due to the huge number in circulation. This seems favourable and would cut costs down somewhat so I can invest in a better home overall. Plus it's likely they are pretrained too!

Going to bed now, will reply/monitor thread in 9 hours!

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've honestly heard very little about them, but of what I have it's all been good.

Being diurnal is a big one, so they aren't annoying as fuck in the middle of the night like every Chinchilla and most Hamsters. Their life span is pretty impressive for a rodent pet as well.

They are pretty much a mix of the personality/intelligence of a rat (awesome pets) with the cuteness of a Chinchilla/Hamster (since most people are grossed out by rats). Just don't grab their tail. ;/

Banned.

BG Level

Wikipedia says you can't feed them sugary stuff, that's a downer as I had a kangaroo rat and we fed him pretty much anything from almonds to watermelons <.< sunflower seeds were the preferred food as they are cheap.

Get ready to clean the cage often as having 3-4 rodents is sure to be stinky in no time

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

http://images.wikia.com/de.nintendo/...c/cf/Dekus.gif ?

Well, you'll need to water them..

I'll see myself out

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

After reading about them I kinda want one. They seem like they'd be a good pet if you wanted something that lived longer than typical rodents.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Those little fuckers are adorable.

Hope you don't mind the hijack, but regarding pets that look like live pokemon: anyone have experience with axolotls? Have a spare tank and I'm thinking about putting some vertebrates in it.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    Those little fuckers are adorable.

Hope you don't mind the hijack, but regarding pets that look like live pokemon: anyone have experience with axolotls? Have a spare tank and I'm thinking about putting some vertebrates in it.
    I came real close to buying one at a reptile show I found myself at a few years ago. I opted out because from everything I have read, they are extremely sensitive to their environment, be it temperature, pH, etc. I don't quite care for that kind of maintenance. I think they were actually lillegal to sell here in CA. (Edit: Yeah, all of Ambystoma are illegal to import/sell here.)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

As of 2010, wild axolotls are near extinction[3] due to urbanization in Mexico City and polluted waters. Nonnative fish such as African tilapia and Asian carp have also recently been introduced to the waters. These new fish have been eating the axolotls' young, as well as its primary source of food.[4] The axolotl is currently on the International Union for Conservation of Nature's annual Red List of threatened species.
    from wiki. I assume nothing's changed in two years, but you never know. Might want to do some digging.

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I came real close to buying one at a reptile show I found myself at a few years ago. I opted out because from everything I have read, they are extremely sensitive to their environment, be it temperature, pH, etc. I don't quite care for that kind of maintenance. I think they were actually lillegal to sell here in CA. (Edit: Yeah, all of Ambystoma are illegal to import/sell here.)
    any "exotic" or out of region pet is illegal here i want sugar gliders but MARSUPIALS ARE ILLEGAL

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    from wiki. I assume nothing's changed in two years, but you never know. Might want to do some digging.
    That's regarding wild populations; captive-bred are common and legal.

The thing I'm most apprehensive about is needing to buy a water chiller, since it seems they thrive below room temp...

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Don't mind hijack, after all I had to google for axolotls. They look strange!

And Degu wise I seen youtube vids on them and they do seem a bit more better than your average rodent, hence the urge to get one.

I don't understand the gross out thing of rats. People say it's the tail but I personally don't mind. I do agree that Degus seem to be a good mix between a rat and chinchilla though. Chinchillas live far too long ... my relative has one but all her children has moved out (they wanted one when it was young) the house now and she's left to care for it alone but it still probably has another 5-10 years left. The children didn't take it with them ... shows you how much of a hassle/care they give about it eh? They went to buy cats instead. Amongst the 3 children, 2 of them got 2 cats each ...