Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Expected.

BG Level

So the prequels suck only cuz they're not the original. Gotcha.

I like star trek better.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kyle_Katarn

Holds a Masters degree in Badass from DeVry.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I just want to how how Eps 1-3 would have fared if they were done shortly after Revenge of the Jedi, rather than a decade and a half later.

There'd be less reliance on CGI at least, meaning no fucking Jarjar. I'll take animatronic puppets over that thing any day.

BG Level

What I learned from Star Wars fans on BG. Rabble rabble rabble it sucks if its not made with shitty tech from teh 80's!

Fanboyism at it's finest.

BG Level

your mad-ichlorian count appears to be off the charts

BG Level

Nigga's is mad about the prequels, I'm just trying to find out why lol.

BG Level

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I think it's fair to say that the real greatness of Star Wars isn't the movies, but the universe that they launched.

dark forces games were pretty much the best thing to come out of this. dat jan ors son

Tagus

The OT was all about timing. You gotta realize, the first movie came out in 1977. That's 35 years ago. Nothing, literally nothing, that you enjoy in entertainment, existed then. The internet didn't exist. Cell phones. There were like 5 TV channels, and most were news, sports, or Bob Newhart. Science Fiction was still a relatively unappreciated form of entertainment, and it had never been done intelligently. CGI hadn't been fully incorporated into movies or TV before Star Wars. Hell... just in the first movies alone there were so many "holy fuck" moments. That fucking spaceship at the beginning never seemed to end. All of a sudden you've got two moons in a sky, and you're looking at that and realizing... holy fucking shit. They don't even have the same moon we do... and nor would they! And ten minutes later you're seeing literally the first dead bodies you've ever seen in a TV show or movie, and 30 minutes after that a monster's arm is getting cut off in a seedy bar... when all you'd seen up to that point in your life was sesame street and baseball. If you go and watch it now without having experienced it as it changed everybody's perception, it looks dated. If you think of it in terms of the whole Star Wars universe (which unfortunately includes 3 really disapointing and shitty films), it looks average.

It was the first movie series that was marketed to kids as well... think about your childhood obsessions, and replace all of them from the ages of about 3-10 with Star Wars everything. At that time, Disney Land didn't exist. There were no video games, or personal computers. Star Wars figurines were the first toys to actually have moving limbs.

The Star Wars hype machine changed the world forever. Star Wars was arguably the source of the most shift in virtually every form of entertainment in the history of humanity. It was part timing, part brilliance, and part luck... but it changed everything. It was, in alot of ways, what the Beatles were to music. Sometimes in life a big thing comes along that changes the world forever... for me personally so far, they are: Star Wars, Michael Jordan, Nirvana, and the internet. I don't know about yours, but alot of people feel the same way as I do. Sure... there were other movies that I love (in some ways even more than those ones I just listed), other athletes, other bands. But sometimes that big one comes along and changes the whole scene forever.

P.S. Star Wars invented fanboys. There was nothing else to be a fan of, until that.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

Quote Originally Posted by Mazmaz View Post
    I think it's fair to say that the real greatness of Star Wars isn't the movies, but the universe that they launched.
    Maybe when it comes to the video games honestly. Expanded Universe is half decent and half garbage, peoples feelings on the prequels are obvious, but the games have for the most part been awesome. Jedi Academy was great, KOTOR 1 was amazing for its time, Battlefront 2 was fun, several other games on the older consoles too.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

The Expanded Universe did more to ruin that before they came out.
    How exactly? I stopped around the New Jedi Order but they were pretty awesome from what i read.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya View Post
    The real irony of all the Lucas praise for the OT is that the reason the OT is good is because that cult worship hadn't begun yet, and people were willing to tell Lucas that he was a fucking idiot, and override his idiot decisions to make the movies actually good on some level.
    That, and the fact that he only directed ep 4.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    Seriously, what exactly is it that makes the prequels shittier then the stupid shit in the original lol?
    The OT is better because it's simply better crafted. It's a classical hero's journey tale, and it executes that pretty much perfectly. That doesn't mean that they're good movies in the context of cinema in general. If you take them apart from their cultural context (which you shouldn't really do), and examine them in comparison of high art, then yeah, it doesn't even really breach the top 100. But that's not really the point of a sci-fi adventure movie. The point is to tell an engaging story about a classic hero, and have spaceships and neat stuff, and you get emotionally invested in some neat characters like Han Solo, and at the end of the day you have a fond memory of a nice story.

The prequels fall flat because they did not even have a well executed formula. There was no protagonist, no character arcs, no pathos, no nothing. You can find plenty to bitch about in the OT, but at the end of the day, it still followed a very classic formula and executed it just fine.

I liken it to this. It's The Beatles vs [insert modern pop shlock that you hate, I'll go with rebecca black]. The Beatles were a good band that followed a good pop formula. In their cultural context, they were instrumental in moving their genre forward, but in terms of actual artistry in music, there's vastly better music before, during, and since their era. But whatever else you stack them against, they still produced music that was appealing and well constructed for what it was. Rebecca Black has none of that. There's no artistic value, no aesthetic value, no cultural impact beyond making herself a symbol of everything wrong with manufactured commercial bullshit slapped together haphazard. The only difference is that the prequels rode on the coattails of a brand name. It's like if Friday was billed as a new song from The Beatles. The metaphor is also apt insofar as fanboys and nostalgia-goggled individuals will insist that The Beatles were the greatest musicians of all time and totally unimpeachable, and that Rebecca Black merely existing drags down all music.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya View Post
    The OT is better because it's simply better crafted. It's a classical hero's journey tale, and it executes that pretty much perfectly. That doesn't mean that they're good movies in the context of cinema in general. If you take them apart from their cultural context (which you shouldn't really do), and examine them in comparison of high art, then yeah, it doesn't even really breach the top 100. But that's not really the point of a sci-fi adventure movie. The point is to tell an engaging story about a classic hero, and have spaceships and neat stuff, and you get emotionally invested in some neat characters like Han Solo, and at the end of the day you have a fond memory of a nice story.

The prequels fall flat because they did not even have a well executed formula. There was no protagonist, no character arcs, no pathos, no nothing. You can find plenty to bitch about in the OT, but at the end of the day, it still followed a very classic formula and executed it just fine.

I liken it to this. It's The Beatles vs [insert modern pop shlock that you hate, I'll go with rebecca black]. The Beatles were a good band that followed a good pop formula. In their cultural context, they were instrumental in moving their genre forward, but in terms of actual artistry in music, there's vastly better music before, during, and since their era. But whatever else you stack them against, they still produced music that was appealing and well constructed for what it was. Rebecca Black has none of that. There's no artistic value, no aesthetic value, no cultural impact beyond making herself a symbol of everything wrong with manufactured commercial bullshit slapped together haphazard. The only difference is that the prequels rode on the coattails of a brand name. It's like if Friday was billed as a new song from The Beatles. The metaphor is also apt insofar as fanboys and nostalgia-goggled individuals will insist that The Beatles were the greatest musicians of all time and totally unimpeachable, and that Rebecca Black merely existing drags down all music.
    Boom headshot, comparison seems extreme, but eh I'll take it.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Comparison seems fine to me ⌐ ⌐!

Nicely explained.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

The first regular episode of Star Trek aired on Thursday, September 8, 1966. People were seeing plenty of science fiction and space, but it was done campy and was not funded well. Lucas just had the money to make it look better at that time period.