+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    Maybe when it comes to the video games honestly. Expanded Universe is half decent and half garbage, peoples feelings on the prequels are obvious, but the games have for the most part been awesome. Jedi Academy was great, KOTOR 1 was amazing for its time, Battlefront 2 was fun, several other games on the older consoles too.
    i miss the X-Wing series...

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I weep for what The Force Unleashed could have been. Also, many fond memories of playing my N64 and Shadows of the Empire on Christmas Day in '96, though by today's standards it is pretty horrible.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Agree with pretty much everything Alleya has said. I again feel the need to state: Hating the prequels for legitimate reasons =/= fanboyism.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

Force Unleashed would have been great if it was actually a longer game and they fixed a few things. The story + force battles were amazing, and the only thing that kept killing grunts from being boring was the fact that the game was short. The mechanics itself were great, like enemies interacting with each other when you hit them. My roommate got a bootleg copy and after playing through it myself afterwards, it's not really worth the full price they wanted at launch.

Tagus

Jedi Academy was a stellar game imo, and the thrawn trilogy was a great set of books. Those are probably my two favorite expansions into the star wars universe so far.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

OT are good movies. Not super great works of cinema, but good movies everyone should see at least once. New ones... are good kids movies. Mediocre movies by normal standards. Not the type of movie everyone should see, but not so bad they shouldn't.

edit: also holy multiple pages i didn't know about batman. The expanded universe is mostly pretty good imo, but there's a lot of kids stuff in it that is still considered canon. Generally, the novels/comics/games have been pretty high quality, with cartoons/children's books/other media being significantly lower quality. There are a few exceptions, though. TOR is one, but that's mostly because they decided it would be a good idea to clone the gameplay from a game almost a decade old. The class stories were pretty interesting from what I saw.

For me, Star Wars is really just a universe in which it's easy to imagine yourself being awesome and doing cool shit, which is what really attracts me to the sci-fi and fantasy genres.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

People just love to bandwagon on stuff it seems. The prequels were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    Hey look, heres one with more views and more likes!

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    I enjoy the supporting argument you had to go with this to try and disprove many of the points people even outside of RedLetterMedia have made to discredit the prequels, and help state why the prequels are fine.

Oh wait, you're just stating that people are wrong and pretend that's the final say in the matter. Typical Draylo. Since I took a break from FF11 recently and don't read that section + FFXIAH anymore could you keep your stupidity there please, I rather not see it leak over into other sections of the site I still browse. Thanks bro.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

A tragic moment turned into one of hilarity because of poor dialogue.

The prequels got too obsessed with getting the audience to key moments (like Anakin becoming Vader) and lightsaber duels rather than putting some meat and real thought behind the characters. I mean the sheer incompetence the Jedi Order has to be credited with for letting Sidious corrupt Anakin is enormous in addition to him sitting under their nose for the better part of years.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    Nah man I'm serious. Besides lightsabers and spaceships, what really makes the OT better then the prequels?
    A protagonist.
    In PM, there simply isn't one. And the other two you want to murder Anakin the whole time.

Luke was your standard bumpkin fantasy hero. Regular kid the audience can relate to and pretend they are him throughout the series.

There are very few fantasy stories that are well received without a really strong protagonist character. Think about it. Try and find a sci fi you really like but at the same time you completely hated the main character. And if there is one, it's probably because the script is so amazing it's impossible not to respect it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

New ones... are good kids movies.
    Not really, good kids movies do exist (Pixar films, Miyazaki, ect.), as in films for children that are generally good, and I wouldn't even count them, the prequels, as films that are good only to children.

They simply aren't made strictly for a child audience, like RLM says all that psuedo-political talk doesn't make sense in a children's movie. Kids love the action and think lightsabers are cool but beyond that there isn't that much cool stuff for them. There are other shallow action movies out there that can wow kids that are better.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen
    Agree with pretty much everything Alleya has said. I again feel the need to state: Hating the prequels for legitimate reasons =/= fanboyism and bandwagoning.
    Added the word bandwagoning just for you. I don't discredit that a lot of people may hate the prequels simply because it's cool to hate the prequels, but when multiple people in this thread have given you legitimate reasons from a cinematic and storytelling standpoint, it is not bandwagoning. Anybody who claims that we're bandwagoning needs to watch the RedLetterMedia reviews, because those articulate in a way that is much more accurate than anything I could convey as to why the prequels are shit.

Until then you are being quite the ignorant cunt if you claim people are bandwagoning/fanboys in this thread.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Stilzkin View Post
    Not really, good kids movies do exist (Pixar films, Miyazaki, ect.), as in films for children that are generally good, and I wouldn't even count them, the prequels, as films that are good only to children.

They simply aren't made strictly for a child audience, like RLM says all that psuedo-political talk doesn't make sense in a children's movie. Kids love the action and think lightsabers are cool but beyond that there isn't that much cool stuff for them. There are other shallow action movies out there that can wow kids that are better.

Pixar etc are just plain good movies that are also kid-friendly. Some of my favorites, actually. What I'm thinking of when I say the PT are good kids movies are the countless stupid droid/jarjar scenes that seem deliberately thrown in there for kids. Combine that with the battles, and it feels like a kids movie. I saw them when they came out (when I was a kid), thought they were good. As I've gotten older and more.. refined i guess... I've come to the realization that while some parts are fun to rewatch (battles, lightsabers, podrace, small bits of dialogue) i simply CANNOT STAND watching the whole movies. Pretty much anything with anakin padme or jarjar makes me want to smash my face against my desk, and those god-awful droid scenes too.

So maybe they're mediocre kids movies too.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

worst part of epi 1 was that darth maul's awesomenss and the epic lightsaber battle at the end got stuck in it

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    I enjoy the supporting argument you had to go with this to try and disprove many of the points people even outside of RedLetterMedia have made to discredit the prequels, and help state why the prequels are fine.

Oh wait, you're just stating that people are wrong and pretend that's the final say in the matter. Typical Draylo. Since I took a break from FF11 recently and don't read that section + FFXIAH anymore could you keep your stupidity there please, I rather not see it leak over into other sections of the site I still browse. Thanks bro.
    Feel free to block me, I've been posting in all different parts of this forum since I've joined though. It's all opinion based, the most deciding factor for Star Wars sucking would obviously be on sales. People still love Star Wars, hell look at initial launch of their new MMO (obviously didn't do well but initial sales was mainly due to the brand name). As far as the prequels, they weren't the greatest but they were entertaining in my opinion, key word being opinion. I also know of a lot of others who enjoyed them as well.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Oh and the fact that it made

A 3D reissue was released in February 2012, which has earned an additional $102.7 million at the box office
    For a re release on a prequel that apparently everyone hates, it seemed to have done fairly well overall.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Oh and the fact that it made

For a re release on a prequel that apparently everyone hates, it seemed to have done fairly well overall.
    I actually went to see episode 1 in 3d with my dad. I nearly fell asleep. So damn boring, and of course the 3d didn't do anything to help, when it was actually there.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I can still enjoy the original trilogy every now and then, but I definitely can't take the prequels serious at all after watching the plinkett reviews, they were a real eye opener.

Doesn't help that all the making of footage featured a bunch of idiocy and nothing but YES men, kissing Lucas's ass for his lame CGI ideas.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

the most deciding factor for Star Wars sucking would obviously be on sales

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

It must be a hipster thing to dislike Star Wars now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast