+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    We also have no real transit system. We're not like Europe where you can take a train anywhere at a decent price.

And lolTesla. Toys for rich morons, the fad will pass.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Re: lol Gas prices

You think electric cars are a passing fad?

Lol.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Re: lol Gas prices

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Hell, there's still plenty of 1997 Prius batteries that are still performing just fine.
    Prius are hybrids though aren't they?

And would a battery even be covered under warranty? I know my oil changes aren't covered when I get a new car, and I need those to keep the car running. How much is it to replace a battery like that?

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    And would a battery even be covered under warranty? I know my oil changes aren't covered when I get a new car, and I need those to keep the car running. How much is it to replace a battery like that?
    You're comparing a battery to an oil change?

The oil isn't even part of the car.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

You think electric cars are a passing fad?

Lol.
    You think they're "the future"?

Lol.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmada View Post
    You think they're "the future"?

Lol.
    At some point, both gasoline and coal will run out. What do you suppose will power our vehicles then?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    At some point, both gasoline and coal will run out. What do you suppose will power our vehicles then?
    Tears

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

No, no, carry on, don't want to ruin your dreams of living in 1842.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

No, no, carry on, don't want to ruin your dreams of living in 1842.
    You talk as if you have an answer to my question, but you aren't answering it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

i'll be working on this guys dun worry. gonna tackle all this.. fuel sustainability worry with perpetual infrastructure improvements throughout

not sure when exactly

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    You talk as if you have an answer to my question, but you aren't answering it.
    Although your superior attitude and loaded question don't deserve answer, I'll indulge: I don't know and neither do you.
    Maybe new technologies will arise, maybe we'll find a more efficient way to produce hydrogen, maybe we'll drill deeper for oil but one thing is undeniable: the battery-powered electric "car" isn't the answer; a technology that most people can't afford and that grants reduced functionality (anything that takes more than "a few minutes" to charge up is reduced functionality) isn't progress.

But ecologists, like all religious people, can't accept "I don't know and neither do you" as an answer.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

There are engines that can run on salt water, but good fucking luck on getting them unbanned

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Maybe new technologies will arise, maybe we'll find a more efficient way to produce hydrogen, maybe we'll drill deeper for oil but one thing is undeniable: the battery-powered electric "car" isn't the answer; a technology that most people can't afford and that grants reduced functionality (anything that takes more than "a few minutes" to charge up is reduced functionality) isn't progress.
    On what basis do you assert that tech like compressed/liquid hydrogen fuels can make enough progress to become a viable power source for vehicles but not rechargeable batteries?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I don't. Thanks for missing the point.

Funny. You talk as if you had an answer, but you're not answering:
    Quote Originally Posted by self
    a technology that most people can't afford and that grants reduced functionality (anything that takes more than "a few minutes" to charge up is reduced functionality) isn't progress.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Wait, you actually believe America's mass transit system is on par with Europe?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I don't. Thanks for missing the point.

Funny. You talk as if you had an answer, but you're not answering:
    I never made the claim that current rechargeable battery tech was progress from the current generation of fossil fuel engines.

The context is that when fossil fuels run out, what will replace them? You pretended enough knowledge about battery tech limitations to post futurama videos and post 'lol@you' here and there but I am really curious about what knowledge you have. So far your only answer was "I don't know" and that's not good enough to say 'batteries won't work in a future where fossil fuels are gone.' You're trying too hard here to win some tit-for-tat postwar and aren't posting actual information.

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

New technologies may come that will in several orders of magnitude increase battery capabilities.

An energy-storage membrane had been developed that was more cost-effective at storing energy than either rechargeable batteries or supercapacitors.
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/s...ery-technology

Also, google: "memristor"

BG Level

I think by 2020 at least 30% of all new cars sold will be able to be "plugged in" in some way to recharge batteries that at least partially drive the car.

So yeah, I think they are the immediate future.

Point is, if by 2020 you're getting cars with 500 mile ranges (merely double the longest range Tesla Model S in 2012), having to take 2 hours to recharge in your own garage isn't going to be a problem, at all, for the vast vast majority of users. The only problem you're running into at that point is serious road trips, and that's only if "Supercharger" technology to charge in under an hour (the current Tesla can use a supercharger station to take the car from 30% to 80% in 30 minutes) doesn't improve at all in the next 8 years. (hint: it will)

BG Level

The biggest problem for electrics, in my opinion, is people who live in apartments and don't have garages to park in. And that's not an insignificant problem. But seriously, if I get a Tesla Model S (and I'm seriously considering it), and I need to take a road trip to SF or Vegas or something for some reason, worst case scenario is I swap cars with my wife for a weekend, if she's not coming with. If the total cost of ownership is cheaper than a low-end BMW, why not?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

The biggest problem for electrics, in my opinion, is people who live in apartments and don't have garages to park in. And that's not an insignificant problem.
    The biggest problem for electrics is how it will apply to commercial shipping, which is where any shortage of energy is felt most acutely. I figure nuclear can take over for diesel on container ships, but what about trucks?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag