FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Tesla will do a 5-for-1 stock split at the end of this month.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

meant to post this here before but tesla lawyers are fighting every single lemon. no car manufacturer has done this to the degree that they are. its a bit insane

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Tesla will do a 5-for-1 stock split at the end of this month.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I was really hoping for this and now I am glad. Apple is doing the same thing but at a 4:1.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Tesla getting close to $1800. People are really trying to push it to $2100 before the split to make it $420.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launches 58 more Starlink internet satellites
    With Tuesday's launch, SpaceX has now put 655 Starlinks into orbit as the California rocket builder rapidly builds out a planned constellation designed to deliver high-speed internet service to customers around the world. Initial service across the northern United States and Canada is expected to debut later this year.
    SkySats 19, 20 and 21 will round out Planet's fleet of compact satellites producing commercially available high resolution imagery for use by government agencies and the private sector. Planet also operates more than 100 smaller Dove satellites providing lower-resolution, wide-angle views.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/spacex-...et-satellites/

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Elon is now the 4th richest person in the world.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/markets...0-8-1029513542

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Elon is now the 4th richest person in the world.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/markets...0-8-1029513542
    Next is Zuckerberg:

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The biggest issue I have with the starlink satellites is that since there are so many of them grouped together they can ruin astrophotography shots. I've seen dozens of long exposure/stacked photos of the night sky where they show up as multiple long streaks of light in the processed photo. There are post processing tools to help with a few satellite streaks, but nothing at this time can handle what starlink is doing. Supposedly they are adding a non-reflective layer to the satellites now but it won't completely solve the issue.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I am an astrophotographer myself, and my take is that the astronomy community tends to go full doom on these sorts of things. Yes, they can absolutely ruin a single exposure when the train passes by, and if you put a large number of those exposures into a stack, the rejection algorithms will treat them as signal. However, even once they get 40,000 satellites up there, they are still only visible < 1 hour on either side of astronomical twilight; they are undetectable to our instruments the rest of the night. So yes, we will lose some imaging time to Starlink, and that sucks, but the benefit is making internet much more widely available to the planet. Given the current state of affairs down here, I think that vastly outweighs the cost to science.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Lyltia View Post
    I am an astrophotographer myself, and my take is that the astronomy community tends to go full doom on these sorts of things. Yes, they can absolutely ruin a single exposure when the train passes by, and if you put a large number of those exposures into a stack, the rejection algorithms will treat them as signal. However, even once they get 40,000 satellites up there, they are still only visible < 1 hour on either side of astronomical twilight; they are undetectable to our instruments the rest of the night. So yes, we will lose some imaging time to Starlink, and that sucks, but the benefit is making internet much more widely available to the planet. Given the current state of affairs down here, I think that vastly outweighs the cost to science.
    For most astrophotographers they can get around this as there are apps and programs that show you satellites in the area. But on the offchance someone forgets, or they don't check their light frames, you end up with crazy streaks. Below is 17x30second subs from photographer Daniel Lopez who photographed Comet Neowise

17 subs at 30 seconds is pretty much nothing, but if you are imaging deep space which often is large batches of subs 100-200 seconds long, you may have to reject a large portion of data if they show up in the single exposures.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yeah, he picked the 8 minutes of subs he could stack at that focal length without blurring the stars to prove a point. And it's a valid point! But that only happens to a small number of frames, because it has to be within an hour of the beginning or end of astronomical twilight for them to be bright enough to be detected, and they have to be passing through the frame of the object you're imaging, and there's a lot of sky up there. Also, given that the sky shifts by 4 minutes each night, no patch of the sky is permanently ruined by the passing satellites. I take up to 600 second exposures, and at most I end up tossing one or two due to passing satellites; I lose more to wind gusts.

I'll also point out that astrophotography is an exceptionally complicated skill to learn, whether as an amateur or a professional; consulting the starlink schedule when planning an automated imaging session is hardly an onerous addition to the workload.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Lyltia View Post
    I'll also point out that astrophotography is an exceptionally complicated skill to learn, whether as an amateur or a professional; consulting the starlink schedule when planning an automated imaging session is hardly an onerous addition to the workload.
    I would say its very involved. It's mostly about planning ahead of time and adding a starlink check could be part of the process: Checking seeing conditions, picking a night based on moon phase (unless imaging Ha), picking a target, traveling to a dark site or backyard depending on bortle scale (LPS filters if needed), polar alignment if not using a pier, scope cooldown if needed, gathering flats, bias, darks, then lights. There are other things involved especially if running mono + filter wheel. I've seen starlink on a few occasions and some of the planetarium software I use on my pc and phone shows their path so I generally try to avoid it. Some people might be oblivious to these things though but they learn one way or another I guess...

Also $TSLA hit an all time high of $1999.99 today lol.

Edit: hit $2003

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Is this where we were talking about ride shares too?

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1296486751964463104

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Probably the economy thread. But to add on to that. Uber will suspend operations as well. I can't wait til Grubhub, Postmates, etc. all close up shop. And I have never used them so I will feel none of the ill effects.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

It's hilarious. All the wah we don't want to be employee rideshare drivers who can't even figure out that they are IC in name only are bitching up a storm on reddit over it. Personally, if Uber/Lyft weren't constantly fucking the drivers over on pay, terminating with no warning or justification, among millions of other things, they wouldn't be in this mess. They only go themselves to blame for AB5 coming out.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Probably the economy thread. But to add on to that. Uber will suspend operations as well. I can't wait til Grubhub, Postmates, etc. all close up shop. And I have never used them so I will feel none of the ill effects.
    Grubhub, postmates, doordash will all wait till the election to see what happens with AB5. Only reason Uber/Lyft are pulling out is ridership is massively down due to the pandemic. On the flip side, my weekends doing doordash have been insane with how busy it is since the pandemic started. Plus the court order right now only targets Uber/Lyft specifically.

Personally, I'm all for watching their world burn. Barring anything unforseen, I should be done with my weekends of doordash by next August at the latest.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    This will be interesting for Tesla Service centers. When you take your car in they usually give you a Tesla Model S loaner however if they are out of Tesla loaners they give you a $200 Uber Credit.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So how many did yall buy? =/

Cutoff is tomorrow fyi, if you wanna get in on the split

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    So how many did yall buy? =/

Cutoff is tomorrow fyi, if you wanna get in on the split

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Only holding 1 got in at around $283 but currently running credit spreads on RH to fund more shares post split.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag