+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast
    Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Maybe something like a real estate office can survive with zero energy use, but anything technology related can't work off solar energy, and wind turbines are too large and loud to start putting up on roofs. The power demand is just too great.

Really wish we could speed up better use of nuclear energy though, and get better regulation on it.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    My biggest issue with electric cars isn't their range but their recharge time.
    Not only this, but I'd want to be able to charge my car at work via charging terminals in each parking spot, and be able to charge my car at one of MANY stations in my area in a short period of time and not have to deal with long lines while waiting for my turn to charge the car. When those things are sorted out, I am sure electric cars will be a bit more attractive to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Last I heard, that wireless recharging stuff was super inefficient.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I thought it had more to do with how ineffective those two are, requiring huge fields of windmills or solar panels to still not produce enough energy for most cities. Nuclear or dirty energy is pretty much our only options, afaik.
    The first sentence was just a mash up of what's popular to think in the US right now with the opponents to this kinda stuff. There was someone in politics who actually claimed that the Earth will run out of wind if we change over to wind power but I'm having trouble finding the quote.

I don't doubt that electric power is very inefficient right now compared to developed tech but the means to make it work better just needs the same funding and time devotion that nuclear/coal/hydro/oil has received.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    It will always be much less efficient

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    It will always be much less efficient
    640kb ought to be enough for anybody.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

640kb ought to be enough for anybody.
    It's not even possible for it to be as efficient as wires.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

There's a huge difference between comparing something that you can buy a new one of every year, vs something you can embed into the road. Yes, there will indeed be advancements, but once you put that shit underground, you're probably not going to upgrade it very often.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Okay, even taking into account that line of thinking, it's still a large leap forward for getting off of oil if we can have the technology reach even 75+% as efficient as wires since the cars will always be charging. And, yet again if the tech gets the proper love and care, it can develop into something where it's 90+% as efficient which will make it hardly noticeable.

Using Archi's example of the Tesla's 1min/mile charge time a 200 minute charge on wire would take 267 minutes of driving around or even sitting in a parking space if it's installed there at 75% efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    There's a huge difference between comparing something that you can buy a new one of every year, vs something you can embed into the road. Yes, there will indeed be advancements, but once you put that shit underground, you're probably not going to upgrade it very often.

that's not relevant to "will the tech be available yes or no?", tearing up roads is just an implementation detail.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

that's not relevant to "will the tech be available yes or no?", tearing up roads is just an implementation detail.
    The tech is already available. The problem is the details.

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    The tech is already available. The problem is the details.
    what are you even trying to point out?

spoiler alert ... gas will run out at time X

let me make this super simple

it works now, it will work better soon™

ex·trap·o·late/ikˈstrapəˌlāt/
    Verb:
    Extend the application of (a method or conclusion, esp. one based on statistics) to an unknown situation by assuming that existing...: "results extrapolated to other groups"; "it is always dangerous to extrapolate from a sample"
    Estimate or conclude (something) in this way: "attempts to extrapolate likely human cancers from laboratory studies".

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Maybe something like a real estate office can survive with zero energy use, but anything technology related can't work off solar energy, and wind turbines are too large and loud to start putting up on roofs. The power demand is just too great.

Really wish we could speed up better use of nuclear energy though, and get better regulation on it.
    Note - solar/wind energy isn't the only way to get renewable energy into a building.

We really should be learning how to curb our energy use as well as introduce newer methods of energy production - we can't keep going at our rate and hope that down the road we will have a hydrogen system to save us.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Re: lol Gas prices

All new homes and offices in California are required to include solar panels, based on the building's square footage, on their roof.

I think it's brilliant. Now they need to get on board with other states that allow you to sell electricity back to the grid. I don't have central air at my house so my electric bills are less than $40/mo, but if i did I'd look hard at getting solar installed.

BG Level

Re: lol Gas prices

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    We really should be learning how to curb our energy use as well as introduce newer methods of energy production - we can't keep going at our rate and hope that down the road we will have a hydrogen system to save us.
    most appliances nowadays (washer, dryer, dishwasher, fridge, microwave, A/C unit) use much less electricity than they did 15 years ago. Difference is, population keeps increasing in size and wealth, so more people have more of these things.

Plasma TVs don't help things either.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

what are you even trying to point out?

spoiler alert ... gas will run out at time X

let me make this super simple

it works now, it will work better soon™

ex·trap·o·late/ikˈstrapəˌlāt/
    Verb:
    Extend the application of (a method or conclusion, esp. one based on statistics) to an unknown situation by assuming that existing...: "results extrapolated to other groups"; "it is always dangerous to extrapolate from a sample"
    Estimate or conclude (something) in this way: "attempts to extrapolate likely human cancers from laboratory studies".
    What does this have to do with putting wireless chargers in the roads?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Not only this, but I'd want to be able to charge my car at work via charging terminals in each parking spot, and be able to charge my car at one of MANY stations in my area in a short period of time and not have to deal with long lines while waiting for my turn to charge the car. When those things are sorted out, I am sure electric cars will be a bit more attractive to people.
    http://news.illinois.edu/news/11/032...PaulBraun.html

That article is almost a year and a half old. 5 minute charge times for today's typical auto battery pack? That's close enough to how long it takes to fill a tank with gas to make the difference irrelevant. The tech is not battery specific either, so it can be applied to today's battery materials as well as better ones in the future.

We need to take some of the billions that go to Big Oil every year and get this shit commercialized asap. Bonus points for putting a shitload of people to work installing the charging infrastructure all over the nation too.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

*Removing the double post*

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Now they need to get on board with other states that allow you to sell electricity back to the grid.
    If I'm remembering correctly, energy producers are granted monopoly rights to sell energy to the public/industry, not produce it. In the granting of this monopoly right, it means that the company that has been granted monopoly rights MUST BUY any excess energy produced at the price that they are selling it. It's not that states allow you to sell electricity back to the grid, its that they are required to buy it from you based upon the monopoly rights to sell that have been granted, so I'm not sure why you're not able to sell back.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao View Post
    http://news.illinois.edu/news/11/032...PaulBraun.html

That article is almost a year and a half old. 5 minute charge times for today's typical auto battery pack? That's close enough to how long it takes to fill a tank with gas to make the difference irrelevant. The tech is not battery specific either, so it can be applied to today's battery materials as well as better ones in the future.

We need to take some of the billions that go to Big Oil every year and get this shit commercialized asap. Bonus points for putting a shitload of people to work installing the charging infrastructure all over the nation too.
    BRAUN

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, energy producers are granted monopoly rights to sell energy to the public/industry, not produce it. In the granting of this monopoly right, it means that the company that has been granted monopoly rights MUST BUY any excess energy produced at the price that they are selling it. It's not that states allow you to sell electricity back to the grid, its that they are required to buy it from you based upon the monopoly rights to sell that have been granted, so I'm not sure why you're not able to sell back.
    Whatever allows it in some states, isn't in effect in California - which is doubly stupid being that California has by far the largest solar panel install base, as well as significant electricity concerns. Being able to pitch "your meter can roll backwards!" is huge for solar deployment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag