+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 111 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    The biggest complain from most of us is FSD because when you sell a car with FSD back to Tesla, they don't include the price paid for FSD. Most if not all of us want FSD tied to the Tesla account or at least a courtesy one time transfer when trading up to a newer vehicle. Selling private party is usually the best way to go when selling a Tesla because because of this.
    That is what i mean tho, i remember a few stories about a year ago of a guy buying a Tesla from a private party. It had a few of the sports features, and at some point, Tesla got wind that the car was sold and disabled a lot of those remotely. I just feel like supporting that kind of shit is just going to make it ok for the rest of the big 3.

I say that, but it is going to be how they all do it. Tesla is like the Apple of the car world. They are going to be doing all this weird and fucked up shit because their fan base is so loyal, which will enable others to copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    I say that, but it is going to be how they all do it. Tesla is like the Apple of the car world. They are going to be doing all this weird and fucked up shit because their fan base is so loyal, which will enable others to copy.
    This is very true, when I toured SpaceX before it was like a fucking cult "Ohhh Elon does this, Elon Elon". Fucking Elon grew up with emeralds in his pockets and never wanted for shit in his life, fuck off with this "he pulled himself up by the bootstraps and rose above the hurdles" shit. The actual engineers at SpaceX are the real heros, same for Tesla engineers.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

That is what i mean tho, i remember a few stories about a year ago of a guy buying a Tesla from a private party. It had a few of the sports features, and at some point, Tesla got wind that the car was sold and disabled a lot of those remotely. I just feel like supporting that kind of shit is just going to make it ok for the rest of the big 3.
    The 3rd party dealer bought the car from Tesla at an auction which had autopilot enabled and then after the sale, it was removed via a software update. I remember that story because it was a huge thing on the Tesla forums since Tesla told the guy that he didn’t pay for the features. It was going to cost $8k more to get them back however Tesla reinstated the features either due to good faith or bad press (most likely the latter).

Tesla does tend to have some random software mix ups that can work in your favor tho. Back in 2018, there was an incident where a person who bought a Long Range model 3 had the wrong software on it making it a Performance Model 3. This incident pretty much proved that back then (prior to mid 2019) LR AWD Model 3’s shared the exact same motors as the Performance version and the software basically locked the power output. This lead to an owner campaign to offer a software unlock for more power, and while it doesn’t turn the LR AWD into the Performance, it does cut about half a second off the 0-60. Supposedly they limited it because after 2019, the motors were indeed different and they based the power spec on the newer motor config of the non Performance cars.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I can't be the only one who thinks it's fucking stupid to have features added/removed via software updates, especially remotely.

edit: for clarity's sake, I'm talking about the car being physically limited by software... like if you had a V8 Mustang that was a V6 because of the computer, then you pay $8k to have "V8 unlocked".

Yes, when you are limiting the hardware via software, you are not innovating, you are just being a dick.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

No, you see, the V6 is like retail, and the V8 is like the DLC, you see?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    I can't be the only one who thinks it's fucking stupid to have features added/removed via software updates, especially remotely.

edit: for clarity's sake, I'm talking about the car being physically limited by software... like if you had a V8 Mustang that was a V6 because of the computer, then you pay $8k to have "V8 unlocked".
    I'll add some more to this.

When Tesla Model 3's were being built in 2018, the LR AWD and the Performance Model 3's shared the same rear drive unit motor (aka 980 Motor) and front motor. The 980 Motor has an 800 KW inverter and it's all that they had at the time of production. They went through a binning processes to ensure that only motors that could handle the high current for sustained periods of time were set aside for the Performance Model 3's while those that were deemed to not pass the test were sent to be used on the LR AWD version. Cars that were made into LR AWD had software that limited the power curve even though the 980 rear motor was capable, but most likely not sustainable. This trend continued until spring of 2019 when Tesla started using a new drive unit for the rear (990 Motor) which had a 630 KW inverter so no more software needed to limit the power. This motor was also smaller and cheaper. People (myself included) started to realize that if you had an AWD Model 3 from 2018 to early 2019, you had a rear drive unit that was the same as the Performance version, and people were clamoring for an unlock. The problem was that they couldn't offer a full unlock because for one the motors chosen for the AWD may not handle the same power output that the binned motors did, newer Model 3 AWD cars didn't have the same rear motor, and the price difference between the Performance and AWD versions was around $8k. Tesla found a middle ground by using an amount they could boost the acceleration and power safely based on the newer 990 motors profile which is about 0.5 seconds off the 0-60 times and offered the unlock for $2k.

What Tesla does isn't new in the tech industry. Chip manufactures will bin processors because they aren't without flaws. For example, during the production process of an 8 core processor, if one of the cores do not come out correctly, they will lock the bad core along with one of the good cores and sell it as a 6 core processor. So a consumer technically is getting a processor with 7 working cores, but only 6 are usable.

BG Level

I appreciate the connection, I know about CPU limiting so while I still think it's bullshit I'm always happy to hear there's a reason beyond money.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Pretty cool it kept his drunk ass from crashing though

That is what i was thinking. Yea, that was fucking dumb... but if he was that drunk and he was going to try it anyways... that dumb choice might have saved a life.

I'm trying to wait on buying a new car until we have one that can do this fully. I want to sit in my car and say "Home" and not do anything.

Edit: I know we are a ways off, but I can dream.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I want to sit in my car and say "Home" and not do anything.
    Just be rich and hire a chauffeur. /s

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Im sure Uber would be cheaper than a chauffeur

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Level

Oooh, now he really does have Space-X.

BG Level

I mean, he already had two ex wives

this was just a girlfriend

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

after you knock em up they get upgraded to baby mama

BG Level

he's african but not that kind of african ag

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Tesla FSD public beta goes live tonight with a request button. The button will look at your driving history over the last 7 days (or starts looking at history from tonight onward) to determine eligible though the Tesla insurance calculator.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag