+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 108 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

Is/n't Tesla literally/figuratively crashing?

With the threat of $4-a-gallon gas once again hanging over the economy -- and over President Obama's re-election campaign -- the White House on Friday left the door open to tapping the country's oil reserve to ease prices.

"A release of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve is an option that's on the table," Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest told reporters.
    Wait for it....

So the White House wants to flood the market with Gas, even though the supply already is plenty such that prices will be artificially lower. Essentially subsidizing gas.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If gas takes a huge hike before the election it doesn't matter what the cause, everyone and their mom is going to blame Obama. An asteroid could hit Iran, Obama's fault.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was under the impression that high gas prices is because of oil speculators driving it up for profit?

Ridill
    BG Level

pay half the price for gas the rest of the world pays...

WHY IS GAS SO DAMN EXPENSIVE WE NEED A NEW GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    pay half the price for gas the rest of the world pays...

WHY IS GAS SO DAMN EXPENSIVE WE NEED A NEW GOVERNMENT
    We also have no real transit system. We're not like Europe where you can take a train anywhere at a decent price.

Tagus

I'm cool with whatever. My boss used gas prices as an excuse why we're not getting raises this year, which just seems fucking ridiculous. If more politicians tried to buy our votes by lowering prices on shit, we might have a little room to breathe up in this mofo.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Re: lol Gas prices

How many gallons do we have hidden away to even have an effect on prices? For all cars in all states...I mean..we must have a warehouse the size of maine just filled to the top with gas to even have this last longer then a day o/_O...

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

The whole thing is bullshit. They don't actually have to release any of the reserves, they just have to make people think they are going to, and the price of gas will magically drop. Just like how the Chevron refinery fire in CA made the prices go up well over 5% even though there is no direct reason to have a spike of that size since that refinery only handles something like 0.06% of the countries gas usage. I know it does cause legitimate supply issues in certain locations, but the price spike happening everywhere, and at such magnitude, is pretty retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    How many gallons do we have hidden away to even have an effect on prices? For all cars in all states...I mean..we must have a warehouse the size of maine just filled to the top with gas to even have this last longer then a day o/_O...
    Per wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strate...ited_States%29
    As of February 29, 2012, the inventory was 695.9 million barrels (110,640,000 m3). This equates to 36 days of oil at current daily US consumption levels
    It's crude oil stored as opposed to gasoline, but they're definitely capable of flooding the market. Hmm, they should take advantage of these price fluxes. Sell the oil now while gas is $4 a gallon, then slowly buy up oil when it's back to $3.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

What a surprise, gas prices going up right as labor day approaches.

Working as intended.

Yeah, but it's been a huge bump. Normally it's something like $.25. Think it's jumped almost $.65 around here.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/109824-Up-Your-Gas!

Gas prices always go up in time for school and labor day.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
    Sell the oil now while gas is $4 a gallon, then slowly buy up oil when it's back to $3.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Always curious about these cars. Wouldn't the energy required to charge them negate the benefit of not polluting from the car itself? At what point do we net positive with that?

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

From what I've read it depends on the makeup of the energy grid where you're going to be using it. Someplace like Germany which is moving away from even nuclear these days towards wind and other renewable then yeah it'd be a net benefit. China, who is heavily dependent on coal and sitting on huge reserves of the same, not so much.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I listened to the video, then came back to ask wtf i just listened to. But then i saw it was posted by test, so i guess that answered my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    From what I've read it depends on the makeup of the energy grid where you're going to be using it. Someplace like Germany which is moving away from even nuclear these days towards wind and other renewable then yeah it'd be a net benefit. China, who is heavily dependent on coal and sitting on huge reserves of the same, not so much.
    Right. There's no benefit if your energy is being generated by coal. Pretty much anything else though, and it's hugely beneficial. Nuclear, wind, etc don't give off any pollution.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender View Post
    What a surprise, gas prices going up right as labor day approaches.

Working as intended.
    this happens every summer. I don't see why it's now suddenly such a big deal. In fact its cheaper this summer then it's been the last few years around this time. Gas goes up during the spring/summer and down in the fall/winter. Has a lot to do w/ people traveling

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Pretty sure that even with 100% coal electricity you're carbon positive compared to gasoline, but here in Los Angeles, the grid is:

with plans to phase out coal entirely by 2030.

Still though, you're looking at $300/year in energy costs instead of $1300 for a comparable car - and that's at current gas prices, which are certain to increase at a much higher rate than electricity prices.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Pretty sure that even with 100% coal electricity you're carbon positive compared to gasoline,
    Oh, neat, i thought it was a slight loss on coal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag