+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Keshad View Post
    Just picked up the game can't decide between warrior or guardian, anyone have tips or advice for which to do or one/builds, mainly looking for pve atm
    I've only done warrior, but a glance in seeing other guardians around, I feel like their skills have a bit more variety than just herpderphurtshit.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Depends on your build, really. At first I was running with GS/Staff, just diving in with Greatsword and trying to steamroll with burst damage. Greatsword has one attack that throws out "chains" on enemies that do damage over time, and if you hit it again it pulls them towards you (but drops the DoT). Would usually get in, throw that on them and go nuts. When they try to get away you can either leap after them, teleport (Judge's Intervention, utility skill) or pull them back to you to finish 'em off. If I was dealing with multiple people and cooldowns weren't up I could swap to Staff and throw out some longer range attacks, though to be honest the main reason I was using staff was for the Swiftness (+33% move speed) buff, it pretty clearly underperforms in PvP compared to other stuff (though the Might buff is nice in big groups in WvW, as is Line of Warding, which prevents enemies from crossing a line you place down). As for mitigation with that build, there's not a whole lot in terms of PvP. If you're specced for DPS, Virtue of Justice blind nearby enemies and Virtue of Courage can give you Aegis (either whenever you activate it, or every 40 seconds passively), but these only stop 1 attack so don't help much for multi-hit attacks. Leap also blinds, but again, only stops 1 attack.

I recently swapped to a different build in sPvP though. Scepter/Focus and Mace/Shield, traited for Spirit Weapons (faster cooldowns, longer duration, can "command" them without causing them to disappear) and heals. Mace/Shield is tanky as hell, you can throw down a symbol that gives you regen (and traits make any symbols you use heal you), have multiple blocks, and the auto-attack combo heals at the end. Whilst the DPS isn't as high my spirit weapons cover that no problem, and it's very difficult for anyone to kill you. If I'm not taking a base/defending, I can swap to Scepter/Focus for nice ranged damage and a disable. Offhand Focus gives you a blind and a shield that blocks 3 incoming attacks. With both of those sets I have the Hammer Spirit Weapon out, which you can command to do a knockdown for another disable. Sword command is just a high damage attack, but still nice. For third utility skill you can just use whatever condition removing ability you like. I personally run with the one that converts conditions to boons, but it has a high cooldown. There's a few other nice ones (one that removes 1 and damages nearby enemies on a low cooldown, one that makes a fire circle that burns enemies and cures conditions, etc).

I don't have any experience in WvW with the latter but it should perform just as well. I rock GS/Staff in PvE and have been too lazy to gear up another set for WvW considering how quickly I'm outleveling gear I get. So I just use that for now in WvW.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I've only done warrior, but a glance in seeing other guardians around, I feel like their skills have a bit more variety than just herpderphurtshit.
    Warrior skills are just hurt things? Guardians have lots of utility/group buffs/supportive skills, even their DPS/aoe weapons seem to have some.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Can you post your guardian build Kia? I was messing around with guardian in spvp and I just wasn't doing good at all.

I'm loving the shit outta engineer. Tried condition double pistol build which was fun. Then I switched to a more defensive grenade/bomber build which I think is funner. If I get mob-swamped I just switch to bombs and blow the shit outta everyone.

Then in battle of the capricorn I just switch to grenades and guard the ruins. Underwater grenades are freakin OP

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I either use GS/sword, shield or GS/scepter, focus on pretty much everything now and either traited for concentrations or I go full signet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Warrior skills are just hurt things? Guardians have lots of utility/group buffs/supportive skills, even their DPS/aoe weapons seem to have some.
    Well, it's incorrect to say it's all they have, but selecting those other abilities rarely seems worth it in either their effectiveness, cooldown, or what's given up in the process. On the weapon front, Greatsword, Axe, and Rifle only seem like the viable weapons. I personally run with 5 sigils set but have rarely seen reason to use their active components. There are some other abilities like the knockdown, fear, and so on, but they fall prey to my earlier sentiment. This is a fast-paced game. Anything with cooldowns over 30s is pushing it when it comes to what they offer.

Now, I'm sure someone somewhere is running with some build complete with annoying the fuck out of people in PvP and being "best" for dungeons, but I'm almost 80 and haven't really had trouble. I try to melee what I can, but sometimes rifling it up is just smarter due to not all mob AoEs having signals or being too frequent to rely on dodge rolls. I prefer the regen sigil over the one-shot cures, as it's usually enough to offset most poisons, but also being much more HP cured over time (and paired with rifle kiting can lead to soloing some champion types... it just takes a while).

Maybe once I'm 80 and flesh out my offensive gear more, I might try putting together a defensive set to see how that feels. But there's sort of the FFXI/Utsusemi vibe going here where it's better to outright avoid damage than to take mitigated hits, especially with healing not being so obvious (or guaranteed depending on party). Further, killing shit faster means less time it can try to hit you. I can usually take 3 mobs at a time as I am now, sometimes not even bothering to dodge. Sometimes I can take even more than that. There've only been a couple skill challenges that have caught me up. One was, I believe, a veteran spider that was meant to be flagged a champion. Its HP seriously wouldn't budge and it had a slightly expanded move set. Another was near the Vigil base, I think, where the guy literally stacked the fuck out of bleeds to the point I was probably taking 500+ damage a second. Watching other people around me in events and such, I certainly kill shit faster. So, I'm not sure if it's a testament to my build being on the right track for damage purposes, or theirs just sucking.

But I think my general sentiment holds up that Guardians have a wider variety of skill output options. The "traditional" roles may not exist here, but I'd say they're as close to the tank class as it'll get right now.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I can face tank and kill like 10 mobs at once as a cloth wearer. True story.

I don't doubt that. I think the hardest part is getting 10 mobs together at once outside of high-population invasion scenarios.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Yeah if they're spread out I'll get spanked. I need them somewhat together so I can keep weakness on them 24/7.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    Can you post your guardian build Kia? I was messing around with guardian in spvp and I just wasn't doing good at all.

I'm loving the shit outta engineer. Tried condition double pistol build which was fun. Then I switched to a more defensive grenade/bomber build which I think is funner. If I get mob-swamped I just switch to bombs and blow the shit outta everyone.

Then in battle of the capricorn I just switch to grenades and guard the ruins. Underwater grenades are freakin OP
    http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...Tmx00xaoaqckaV
    Can probably use quite a few changes to improve it but that is what it looks like right now. I use the Dolyak Rune set (Toughness/Vitality/HP Regen) on my armour, though I'm sure something else would be better, just haven't spent much time messing around with anything else. Still undecided on what to put on weapon runes, I think right now I have something that freezes targets for a few seconds when you swap. Since I have like no crit rate at all most of the runes are garbage. Like I said, it's not really a damage oriented set. Your spirit weapons + scepter damage can take out people pretty well. And it's fucking awesome at capturing and holding bases. Spirit weapons can be a little finicky sometimes (they like to run off chasing people, lol) but once you get used to that it's a very fun build imo, slapping someones shit with an immobilize and then hammer command (knockdown) whilst you steamroll them always makes me feel good.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Fuck guardians.

Nobody has any suggestions for Thief?

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Same for dual axe war. Until I get a better GS, I'm sticking with axes.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

What about this build for warrior solo PvE?

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...GmGx00GVRzVRVs

I know it's kinda squishy, but I tried going more defensive and I end up dying more because longer kills = more damage taken, more so with more than 1 target.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    Fuck guardians.

Yes, level Guardian!

Idk what kind of suggestions you're looking for. My thf is pretty basic shortbow/dagger/dagger heavy bleed and condition setup. Hit mobs twice and walk away as they drop dead. sPvP and WvW is pretty fun with a bleed/condition setup also.

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Beeen trying new weapons on warrior, since I used the same ones for so long. Hammer was unimpressive, I didn't see anything worth carrying one for. Just suboptimal for control, and the tools felt limited. I'm starting to really get into greatsword, I can see why people like it. If I want to run with a power build insead of condition, I can see using GS. Longbow is interesting, not as potent as rifle but more utility. Still favor sword and axe or mace, though.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...Tmx00xaoaqckaV
    Can probably use quite a few changes to improve it but that is what it looks like right now. I use the Dolyak Rune set (Toughness/Vitality/HP Regen) on my armour, though I'm sure something else would be better, just haven't spent much time messing around with anything else. Still undecided on what to put on weapon runes, I think right now I have something that freezes targets for a few seconds when you swap. Since I have like no crit rate at all most of the runes are garbage. Like I said, it's not really a damage oriented set. Your spirit weapons + scepter damage can take out people pretty well. And it's fucking awesome at capturing and holding bases. Spirit weapons can be a little finicky sometimes (they like to run off chasing people, lol) but once you get used to that it's a very fun build imo, slapping someones shit with an immobilize and then hammer command (knockdown) whilst you steamroll them always makes me feel good.
    That build looks fun. I'll give it a go and check it out. I'm not really the type to go full offensive craziness

Edit: okay, yeah. that build is really fun. Love being able to hold my own against 2 people or something. I prefer a more defensive approach so this is perfect

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    Fuck guardians.

I keep telling you because it keeps working (for now). Spam heartseeker, cloak and recover initiative, then heartseeker again.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    What about this build for warrior solo PvE?

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...GmGx00GVRzVRVs

I know it's kinda squishy, but I tried going more defensive and I end up dying more because longer kills = more damage taken, more so with more than 1 target.
    Basically what I've been using, slot skills aside (30/30/0/0/10 for me). Just keep mobile and most things shouldn't be TOO dangerous outside of bosses.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryunokage Argantes
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Khadgar

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...nm0axx0Mzobcas
    That's what I use on my guardian for sPVP.
    It is pretty self sustainable with 3 ~2k heals on pretty short cooldowns (16, 36 and 48 seconds) once of them being a stun breaker that also removes every condition you have on you and changing them in to boons.

Using this with greatsword and going for Precision (52%Crit chance) and high crit Damage increase (+62% Crit Damage) it puts out some pretty nice numbers. Sitting at 2k Power with 3k Attack.

This is while putting up some decent AoE pressure at the same time, which is particualrly fun against those pesky mesmers since you just blow their illusions up pretty fast, while also ticking small amounts of healing to every ally that stands in your symbols. Dodging heals me and everyone aorund me for ~400 too making it a pretty nice overall build for me.
    I've yet to lose a 1v1 in this spec.

For Armor I use the 60 to all stats +12% Crit damage, the amulet I use is the one with +15% crit damage, vitality and precision with the same jewel. In my weapon I use the 30% chance on crit to steal health.

Between the shorter durations on mediations which all heal you for ~1900, Signet of Resolve which heals for 8.5k on a reduced cooldown aswell, your symbols ticking for small amounts, dodging healing you for ~400 per dodge, Virtue of Resolve's passive and ~2700 defense it's pretty hard to take down.

I did use Signet of Judgment over Judge's Intervention for a while, but the extra burn, emergency gap closer + heal passive it gives just make Intervention a better choice for me.

For WvW I swap to staff offhand (since it benefits from all the healing passives and reduced cooldown aswell) and Tome of Wrath, which is just a mobile siege weapon.

P.S. I did try going Zeal instead of Honor for additional burst but the damage increase was marginal compared to the loss in survivability. The same goes for the 30 zeal/30radiance combination.

I tried DW sword w/ condition dmg stack, but found myself lacking proper utility and defense. After getting an upgraded Hammer, I messed around and made a new build. This is what I got:

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...gRx0x0ackVoaqV

The goal is to spam CC and hold your adrenaline instead of spending it. With health regen signet, adrenaline level regen, and a regen potion, I rarely feel threatened. Couple the regen with the armor/toughness bonuses and the endure pain proc, and you'll feel very safe. Juggernaut + dmg reduc. signet are for pesky CC heavy enemies. Adrenaline is only spent on emergencies (interrupt important spell or to escape). Aoe Cripple and kite if you get low. I usually carry a rifle for secondary in case kiting becomes necessary. If you're a warrior, try this out. Any criticism is welcome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast